What kind of "Fan Dumb" are you?

Started by samoht, Jan 13, 2011, 01:09:44 AM

Author
What kind of "Fan Dumb" are you? (Read 2,045 times)

samoht

samoht

Seeing as this forum is the "Fan" section  I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this.

If you haven't guessed, Fan Dumb is a play on the term fandom.

Yes, we can all be smart and rational fans when we are discussing AVP related things, but we are probably all guilty of having some faults as a fan.

From the TVTropes entry on "Fan dumb" it categorizes distinct variants of fan dumb in to the following: (I'll only post the tldr versions of these definitions, you'll have to read the article yourself if you want the full on descriptions)

So what type of A/P fan are you?
------

Monomaniac: A fan whose life revolves around the show, and nothing else.

Purist: One with a strict and unchangeable vision of the show, and will react badly to any changes outside of this vision.
-Theocrat: A fan who expects everyone to adhere to the "word of god" faithfully and never deviate from it.

Elitist: A fan who hates the show being mainstream and believes that newbies to it are worthless.

Culture Alien: A fan outside of the show's demographic who complains because the show isn't being directed at him.

Highbrow: A fan who is convinced that he is so much more sophisticated and intelligent than those around him.
-Toxic Genius: One who believes those who disagree with his / her opinions to be of lower intellect because they disagree with his/her opinions.
-Toxic Visionary: As above, but with the added factor of thinking that he's smarter than the creators.
-Toxic Missionary: Same as above, but as a Stop Having Fun Guy.

Strawstuffer: A fan who hates someone for ruining the show, despite that someone/something not being responsible.
-Tinfoiler: Same as above, but he/she only thinks that "They Just Didn't Care".

King (or Queen) Customer: A fan who thinks that just because he owns merchandise from the show he is entitled to special treatment and priority.

Old Timer: Similar to the above, but substitute 'owns merchandise' for 'I was here first!'.

Willfully Blind: A fan who insists his favored [thing] is flawless and perfect in the face of insurmountable evidence.
-White Knight: One wholl defend a work from any form of critique because in their eyes, the work is so good that it doesn't need any criticism.

Vocal Loyalist: A fan who claims to be a loyal fan despite having nothing good to say about it.

Mad Bride/Groom: A fan of a character who refuses to follow the show when it's favourite character/feature is being left out of it.

Perfectionist: Perfectionist believes there is only one way to do things. They are consumed with a particular way of enjoying the product; there is only one correct way to play this game, or listen to this music, or watch this film, and that's his way.

Misplaced Champion: A fan who has self-proclaimed himself as the guardian of the show.

Litter-Bearer: A fan who thinks that fans are wrong because they aren't a valid source of opinion.

Unpleaseable Fan: A fan who always finds something to complain about

Hipster Fan: Someone who likes something, but only because it's cool, not because he actually likes it.

Insane Avatar: This fan will idolize, nay, see themselves as a character from something they love. Everything associated with said character is something they'd do or should be doing. A fanboy of a character, who sees himself incarnated as it, and hates those who criticizes said character.

Protectionist: A fan who seems himself (and those who are like him) as the only members of the demographic of the show, and think that the "outsiders" are not allowed to like the show.

-----------

I'm sure we've all seen these types of fans before, and in ourselves.

I am a bit of a Purist and Theocrat at times.

MrsSpaceJockey

MrsSpaceJockey

lmfao I almost died of laughter when i read this  ;D well this is difficult well can't say i'm any, if i had to choose lmao i'd  be willfully blind and mad bride haha toxic visionary is the best  :laugh:  it is so true some fans are over the top

RazorSlash

Tinfoiler
and, at times, Elitist

AliceApocalypse

I bounce back and forth between being a Mad Bride and an Old Timer  :-[

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I am... practically none of these. Interesting list though, so true in parts.

Sharp Sticks

I'm a toxic genius and a mad bride. *shrug*

Purebreedalien

None of these appeal to me really, apart from maybe the Insane Avatar when referring to Deadpool.

Spoiler
Kidding :D
[close]

Ghost Rider

QuoteInsane Avatar: This fan will idolize, nay, see themselves as a character from something they love. Everything associated with said character is something they'd do or should be doing. A fanboy of a character, who sees himself incarnated as it, and hates those who criticizes said character.

Who told you my secret?

Spoiler
:laugh:
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Purebreedalien on Jan 24, 2011, 04:49:53 PM
None of these appeal to me really, apart from maybe the Insane Avatar when referring to Deadpool.

Spoiler
Kidding :D
[close]
Of course.
Or you wouldn't be saying that Deadpool, indeed, is overrated. An "Insane Avatar" wouldn't say that. :P

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 20, 2011, 06:33:24 PM
I am... practically none of these. Interesting list though, so true in parts.

You can't even find just one that might fit you, OZ?  For fun?

D.R.

D.R.

Toxic Genius... sometimes  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed