Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 59,794 times)

Rudiger

Rudiger

I think it's safe to say that this thread is now knee deep in "my dad's bigger than your dad" territory.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 26, 2017, 06:40:14 AM
I think it's safe to say that this thread is now knee deep in "my dad's bigger than your dad" territory.

It's been like that for weeks, a lot of them are.

SM

SM

Jimbob Cameron is bigger than everyone's dad.

Vermillion

Vermillion

And he's Canadian. 

Hide

Hide

For me Aliens isn't on par with Alien.

Alien is a masterpiece. It is up there with the great classics.

Sure aliens is a great movie, but it  hasn't the great artistry that alien has.

But, Cameron hasn't directed a bad movie for about 30 years, the man knows how to tell a story.

And even if the story isn't that great or has been told before, like Avatar, he knows how to deliver a thrilling ride. He knows what works for the audience and what doesn't. He is a scientist of movie filmmaking.

Ridley has a lot more bad movies and failures than great one's, it's like he doesn't knows what he is doing all the time and works on a whim.

Prometheus and Alien Covenant are bad movies with great ideas.
They have problems that could have been very easily been fixed by an average director.

I don't know how Ridley managed to make a movie as bad as Covenant, maybe he was his intention to end the franchise. Who knows...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hide on Aug 26, 2017, 12:57:21 PM
And yet it's basically defined the look of an entire genre for 30 years. Every sci-fi action series since has drawn heavily from the art and design of Aliens.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

I don't like Aliens, can barely stand to watch it any more. Too much Ripley, too much Sigourney Weaver over-acting, too much isn't Newt cute, the silly ending with the queen hanging off Ripley's foot for so long... Sure, the way it was made, it's Ripley's story. But to me, it has too many groaner moments. Makes it hard to sit through. YMMV.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

But, Cameron hasn't directed a bad movie for about 30 years, the man knows how to tell a story.

And even if the story isn't that great or has been told before, like Avatar, he knows how to deliver a thrilling ride. He knows what works for the audience and what doesn't. He is a scientist of movie filmmaking.

Ridley has a lot more bad movies and failures than great one's, it's like he doesn't knows what he is doing all the time and works on a whim.

They have problems that could have been very easily been fixed by an average director.

I don't know how Ridley managed to make a movie as bad as Covenant, maybe he was his intention to end the franchise. Who knows...

I don't think Ridlay has any bad movies except maybe GI Jane. He has a few films in genres I'm less interested in, but that doesn't make them bad movies. I think Scott has a better hit rate in terms of quality over Cameron. But that's my personal taste. I think that maybe you need to accept that Scott isn't your sort of film maker, I don't want to make assumptions on your behalf but perhaps it's just science fiction (of a certain type) that's your bag?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 26, 2017, 06:40:14 AM

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Are you a fan of X-Japan by chance?

Alionic

Alionic

Good lord, I find myself agreeing with a Hide post here.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Prometheus and Covenant also have too many groaner moments and seem to feature smart people doing stupid things (Prometheus) or people who are not that bright to begin with doing stupid things (Covenant) . Plus, both movies have a plethora of one-dimensional/underdeveloped characters.  While one could argue the characters in Alien and Aliens are also sketches, the writing is better so that the characters come across as relatable and more believable, eliciting more investment from the audience. There is evidence to support Hide's position that Prometheus and Covenant are inferior movies It seems to me, the people most pleased with the prequels are invested in/buy into the David character and keenly interested in the mythological subtext. But like Aliens with Ripley, I would say Covenant features too much android. Covenant pushes the whole thing to the point that the human characters and the aliens don't matter at all. It's just a tale of the android with maybe a theme of deranged android vs angry engineers for the next one.Seen that way, the franchise as it was originally presented is ended. Certainly, Scott seems done with it. The prequel series could indeed continue from its current position and head off in its own direction without ever meeting up with the older movies.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 26, 2017, 03:55:47 PM

Good lord, I find myself agreeing with a Hide post here.

:D only the first part though, then he descends into meaningless nonsense again!

Cameron, Scott, spielberg are all great, legends who have made classic, timeless films.
Ridley's style is my personal favourite out of the three but Spielberg is the daddy. Neither Scott or Cameron's filmography stands up against his as a whole.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Highland on Aug 26, 2017, 03:31:22 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 26, 2017, 01:06:51 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 26, 2017, 12:02:55 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 25, 2017, 10:22:41 PM
I disagree.

James Cameron is Michael Bay with the Biggest Budgets of All Time.

Ridley Scott is Better. He is like Steven Spielberg. Both of them made ALL kinds of Films and in ALL Genres.

Nah, there's only one Spielberg.

I think Scott is better than Spielberg. But back to the topic, I mean it in the sense that both of them made small, dramas, big, thrillers, War, Suspense, Action, all kinds of genres, etc....

For example: both of them are releasing their new dramas this December in time for Oscars.

What does better mean.

If I'm on a desert island and have to pick a Directors catalogue, I'm taking Spielberg's after about 2 seconds of thought. That's even with Scott having two of my all time favourites.

To each their own.

Spielberg is too sappy and too melodramatic for my tastes.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 26, 2017, 01:03:53 PM
And yet it's basically defined the look of an entire genre for 30 years. Every sci-fi action series since has drawn heavily from the art and design of Aliens.

That's a lie.

BLADE RUNNER and STAR WARS are far more copied and admired than any Cameron movie.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 26, 2017, 07:18:16 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 26, 2017, 01:03:53 PM

That's a lie.

BLADE RUNNER and STAR WARS are far more copied and admired than any Cameron movie.
How are Blade Runner and Star Wars even relevant in an Alien vs Aliens discussion?

As for what SiL said about Aliens, he's absolutely right. Out of the two films, Aliens was the one that everybody copied to death. Here's a nice video to sum it up solely in the realm of video games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtQmayyDLA

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed