Jenette Goldstein as Private Vasquez in Aliens

Started by Gilfryd, Oct 09, 2020, 04:38:35 PM

Author
Jenette Goldstein as Private Vasquez in Aliens (Read 10,223 times)

Gilfryd

Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2020, 08:32:56 PM'Action-comedy' aside - what's your issue with the article?

Don't really have one just wanted to see the consensus here which I kinda knew would range from iffy to alright. Maybe I gave the wrong impression by quoting those two lines upfront but the article really does shoot itself in the foot by having such an odd presentation and opening.

SM

The writing is clunky - but the thrust is that Vasquez was an icon for people across the gender spectrum 30 years ago.  And that's a good thing.

Gilfryd

^ That I agree with.

markweatherill

Hey, Emily Gaudette, ever been mistaken for a journalist?

Highland

I suppose my only gripe with the article is that it assumes tough women must be something other than just tough women.

Kimarhi

I would totally be down with a latina Vasquez, then we could see some latina booty about to pop out of them fatigues. 

;)

Gentleman Death

I still don't get how people can watch movies these days and instantly go after the race of the character or who played them. When I'm watching a movie I really don't care if it's an Asian playing a white guy or transgender playing a wheelchair bound detective...just watch the damn movie. Ugh...

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Oct 12, 2020, 11:33:27 AM
I suppose my only gripe with the article is that it assumes tough women must be something other than just tough women.
Nobody, even the article, assumes Ripley is anything other than a tough woman.

son_of_kane

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Oct 13, 2020, 01:22:58 AM
I still don't get how people can watch movies these days and instantly go after the race of the character or who played them. When I'm watching a movie I really don't care if it's an Asian playing a white guy or transgender playing a wheelchair bound detective...just watch the damn movie. Ugh...

I tend to agree. When I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark (for example) I don't have a problem with John Rhys-Davies (a Welshman) playing Sallah (an Egyptian character). Although some may argue that Sallah should've been played by an Egyptian actor, and I understand that viewpoint as well.

SM

Making an observation that someone of one nationality is played by someone white (because it mostly is white) isn't necessarily 'going after it'.  I can see the argument about Sallah in Raiders, but it's not a deal breaker for me personally.  I even liked what Riddles' did with Exodus in spite of the white washing.

But on the other hand, whenever the question of who should play Machiko Noguchi in an adaptation of the original AvP comic comes up and every response is an actress who isn't Japanese it really gives me the shits.

I also often find the 'who cares?' crowd are the same people who have never had to.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2020, 03:38:09 AMBut on the other hand, whenever the question of who should play Machiko Noguchi in an adaptation of the original AvP comic comes up and every response is an actress who isn't Japanese it really gives me the shits.

How about Jing Tian or Zhang Ziyi?

SM

How about shut the f**k up?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2020, 03:38:09 AM
I also often find the 'who cares?' crowd are the same people who have never had to.

Exactly. I was never one to get up in arms about "forced diversity" or anything like that (rolling my eyes right now), but I was always ignorant of the positive effect it has and why it's so damn important. It was reading how accurate representation effected people who are generally unrepresented that really opened my eyes to why it's so important. I wish I'd have saved the main one but I've long since lost it - it was about the gay storyline in Supergirl. I'll have to try to find it - but this is the other one I always think about.

Diego Luna shares emotional story about why representation matters

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2020, 07:22:34 AM
How about shut the f**k up?

I guess that rules out Scarlett Johansson then...

SM

SM

Nah just no Chinese.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2020, 07:31:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 13, 2020, 03:38:09 AM

Exactly. I was never one to get up in arms about "forced diversity" or anything like that (rolling my eyes right now), but I was always ignorant of the positive effect it has and why it's so damn important. It was reading how accurate representation effected people who are generally unrepresented that really opened my eyes to why it's so important. I wish I'd have saved the main one but I've long since lost it - it was about the gay storyline in Supergirl. I'll have to try to find it - but this is the other one I always think about.

Diego Luna shares emotional story about why representation matters

Good story that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed