Newt sleeping.

Started by Kimo, Jul 16, 2020, 03:53:55 AM

Author
Newt sleeping. (Read 6,888 times)

SiL

SiL

Medical is right next to Operations, connected by a corridor. It's where they retreat during the firefight.

They couldn't spare any marines to babysit Newt. As was pointed out, if shit went down, Newt would be the most protected from both Aliens and stray bullets. Keeping her right on the front line would be more irresponsible.

There are lots and lots of reasons for Ripley to put Newt where she did. There are lots of reasons she could've not done that, too. Both had pros and cons.

Huggs

Huggs

In the same complex where an entire colony of people hiding behind barricades were already overrun, yes, it was a bad idea. As the movie eventually showed, xenomorphs are not restricted to using specific hallways and means of entry. They can be in the ceiling, underwater, under the floor, in the air vents, etc.

If something unexpected happened, Newt could've been taken, killed or they would at least need to go retrieve the child before they could evacuate. That would cost valuable time, and possibly get people killed unnecessarily.

Kimo

Kimo

Like I said, I know it's a film so everything can't be perfect and characters are going to do things that some people will Nitpick. Also I'm looking through the situation with my own eyes, like what if that was my daughter or some child I had to protect ect. I defo wouldn't have her out of my sight or at least have another human watching when I couldn't be there. What about Gorman he just recovered from his head injury around then and was no more in charge. He could of been a good candidate to watch over Newt why he also recovers.

But I still find it hard that Ripley was ok with the facehuggers in the Jars being right outside the room. Especially when two are alive. And her past experience with Kane and the Acid inside them.

Anyhow still would like to see some fanmade or official blueprints of the complex to get my aliens movie slava flowing. :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 17, 2020, 02:07:49 AMIn the same complex where an entire colony of people hiding behind barricades were already overrun, yes, it was a bad idea. As the movie eventually showed, xenomorphs are not restricted to using specific hallways and means of entry. They can be in the ceiling, underwater, under the floor, in the air vents, etc.

Is there any evidence that the colonists barricaded themselves in?  The marines didn't have any problem accessing the complex when they arrived.

Ripley specifically asked Hudson for blueprints that showed "every possible way into this complex" so they could seal them.  They missed one, of course, but it wasn't for lack of trying.  It was also after the aliens had just thrown themselves at the sentry guns and were mowed down until they retreated in defeat.

So, at least for a while, they had the illusion of security.

SiL

SiL

They walk through the barricades when entering the complex and mention restoring them.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 17, 2020, 02:07:49 AM
If something unexpected happened, Newt could've been taken, killed or they would at least need to go retrieve the child before they could evacuate. That would cost valuable time, and possibly get people killed unnecessarily.
Medical was their way out. They would've been picking her up on the way.

Kimo

Kimo

So use Medical as a way to exit if the shit hits the fan. Ya that's understandable.. But still leaving a child some distance from them with 2 living facehuggers right in the next room and God knows what's lurking about behind the walls. It's like the McCann's leaving Madeleine McCann in a room they thought was safe why checking in on her every 20minutes why them and their friends had dinner. And what do you know she went missing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2020, 02:37:39 AM
They walk through the barricades when entering the complex and mention restoring them.

Now I remember: Drake reported to Gorman that they barricaded the whole south wing of the building, but it didn't hold.  I wonder why the marines thought they'd have any better luck with the same materials.

If it weren't for the sentry guns the aliens would have just battered their way in like they did before.  No need to sneak in through the floor and ceiling ducts.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimo on Jul 17, 2020, 02:59:39 AM
So use Medical as a way to exit if the shit hits the fan. Ya that's understandable.. But still leaving a child some distance from them with 2 living facehuggers right in the next room and God knows what's lurking about behind the walls.
OK, you clearly think it's a bad idea. I'm really not sure what conversation there is to be had? People have given reasons why Ripley would do it and it just comes back to "But I still think it's a bad idea."

Like ... where's the actual discussion here? ???

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 17, 2020, 03:05:50 AM
Now I remember: Drake reported to Gorman that they barricaded the whole south wing of the building, but it didn't hold.  I wonder why the marines thought they'd have any better luck with the same materials.

If it weren't for the sentry guns the aliens would have just battered their way in like they did before.  No need to sneak in through the floor and ceiling ducts.
They might not have had much time. The marines could build off what the colonists did rather than starting from scratch. The marines were also wielding steel plates over ducts that the colonists hadn't secured, so presumably the colonists hadn't been overly thorough in their defenses.

Huggs

Huggs

Wasn't Burke taken in Medical?

SiL

SiL

Yes. The Aliens had started to get around behind them by that point.

You could say "So see? It wasn't that safe!" but 1) That's easy to say in hindsight and 2) Hudson got grabbed in Operations so good luck arguing it was the safer option.

Interestingly the marines don't seem to feel the need to seal off the vent in the junction between Operations and Medical they use to escape, which the Aliens clearly end up using. Guess it depends on where the access points to that vent are.

Kimo

Kimo

QuoteLike ... where's the actual discussion here? ???
Ya, people have giving good reasons and some are understandable and make sense, but I'm not gunna except what the say if I don't agree. you might as well say the same thing for some of the other Threads in this forum if the is nothing to discuss? I mean that's what forums are ain't they? Dicussions on subject matters that will either have people agreeing or disagreeing? As for why I made this Thread? it was mostly to do with Ripley/Marines making the decision to isolate Newt in a room on her own, and to me its a rather risky decision ect. Some of us would not leave Newt on her own like that. But don't get me wrong I never had a problem with this decision in the past, it's only years later when viewing this film as a parent myself that it suddenly started to bug me. If you disagree or agree on Ripley's/Marines decision then that's your decision and I respect that. I'm sure this thread will be forgotten about within a week or 2 but no one is forcing anyone to participate in this thread if he/she don't agree or thinks the is no discussion to be had? 

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimo on Jul 17, 2020, 04:40:01 AM
Ya, people have giving good reasons and some are understandable and make sense, but I'm not gunna except what the say if I don't agree.
If you agree they're understandable and make sense, then what are you actually arguing against?

I mean sure, you wouldn't do it -- but you wouldn't do a lot of things characters in movies do. If you agree that there are understandable, sensible reasons the characters did what they did, what does it matter if you personally agree with the actions? Are we discussing the characters, or are we trying to convince you of what you would do?

You keep saying it just happened "so the film could happen", people give "good reasons" why that's not the case ... but then you just keep saying it's "so the film could happen". I'm lost as to what you actually want out of this conversation.

SM

SM

For everyone to say 'Yes you're correct.  Cameron f**ked up'..? Maybe.

QuoteSM or any other forum members. Do u know of any maps/diagrams of the colony complex layout were the marines were and the room Newt was sleeping in? The film obviously makes it hard to memorize the layout of the rooms and the events. But it would be nice to see a map or something, of the colony complex at were the marines were at certain points in the film.

It's not hard to memorise.  We see characters going from ops to medical and back throughout the film.  Plus there's construction blueprints for the set online which Graham used for the book.  Very detailed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2020, 03:49:57 AMThe marines were also wielding steel plates over ducts that the colonists hadn't secured, so presumably the colonists hadn't been overly thorough in their defenses.

That could be where Ripley's prior experience on the Nostromo paid off since it may have never occurred to the colonists that the aliens would use the ducts to move around.

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2020, 05:21:58 AM
For everyone to say 'Yes you're correct.  Cameron f**ked up'..? Maybe.

Therefore Alien 3 is superior?

Kimo

Kimo

First I apologise if my reasons don't come across clearly I'm pretty shit at typing and my grammar sucks lol.

So I'm only acknowledging that I know it's a movie plot in the Aliens movie universe. Like foreshadowing what's to come ect to the viewer who's watching Aliens. This is also to weed out any members who may post stuff about, if Newt/Ripley weren't on their own we would not get the Facehugger Attack later in the film ect... So I'm basically agreeing with members theories to why Newt was sleeping on her own to make the facehugger attack plausible for the film.

But in real life, I think it's a stupid idea leaving Newt on her own. So yes I'm talking about real life in this thread here. So basically real life Vs movies, it's never gunna be perfect... Also just think of all them post in the past on members arguing against films like Prometheus... Like them stupid Astronauts taking off their helmets to breathe the air or trying to pet a space snake, or running in a straight line why a massive juggernaut ship is rolling towards you. It's basically bad writing? Are them people wasting they time posting because the are arguing against something they don't agree with? Does that make their post and conversation irrelevant because the would do something different if it was them in that situation? So ya Sil im talking about what I would do in that situation and not the movie plot we got. 

Oh SM I will check that out with the blueprints cheers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed