Prometheus Sets and Props

Started by ikarop, Apr 24, 2012, 10:27:19 PM

Author
Prometheus Sets and Props (Read 27,131 times)

ikarop

ikarop

Fox has released a new interview with various Prometheus crew members about the production of the film’s sets and props. It includes comments on costume design as well as creature effects. Be aware of spoilers. You can read the full interview here or after the jump.

“We present the evolution of these nasty bits and pieces of creature evolution in a logical and biological fashion" says Scott.  Adds Scanlan:  “Each stage of a creature's life cycle has a distinctive purpose.  For our xenobiology, we brought in new elements that are not necessarily backward from those in Alien, but are of a similar DNA.  Many of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables, sea creatures and other animals.  Nothing is invented."

Nightmare Asylum

Wow, very interesting article. Lots of nice tidbits of information. This is really making the wait for this film even harder :D

zuzuki

zuzuki

QuoteThe translucent casket-like pod figures in one of the film's defining sequences, which mixes action, terror and horror in a way never before experienced on film.  "What goes on there is simply the worst thing you can (or probably cannot) imagine," says actress Noomi Rapace.
You give birth to a god damn alien. God damned trailer. Why did they have to spoil it?

QuoteAdds Scanlan:  "Each stage of a creature's life cycle has a distinctive purpose.  For our xenobiology, we brought in new elements that are not necessarily backward from those in Alien, but are of a similar DNA.  Many of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables, sea creatures and other animals.  Nothing is invented.
So maybe, besides the Engineer, there is only one other creature, but shown at different stages of growth, from a small stage to maturity.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: zuzuki on Apr 24, 2012, 10:35:40 PM
QuoteThe translucent casket-like pod figures in one of the film's defining sequences, which mixes action, terror and horror in a way never before experienced on film.  "What goes on there is simply the worst thing you can (or probably cannot) imagine," says actress Noomi Rapace.
You give birth to a god damn alien. God damned trailer. Why did they have to spoil it?

There's no birth scene in the trailer, either you've drawn that conclusion or you've been looking at spoilers. ?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

QuoteMax's epic sets that bring to life the alien planet include a Pyramid, which contains the Juggernaut, a ship similar to the crashed crescent shaped ship seen in Alien.

I guess this is now the official name for the alien ship. Not sure about it myself. Thoughts?

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: Gash on Apr 24, 2012, 10:40:43 PM

There's no birth scene in the trailer, either you've drawn that conclusion or you've been looking at spoilers. ?
The c-section surgery that's happening in the medpod in one of the trailers. Leaked trailer showed rapace with a fast growing belly,then the c-section in the official trailer. I call it a birth scene, not a extraction. Either way, they spoiled it

ThisBethesdaSea

We don't actually know what happens to Shaw....is she impregnated? Does she give birth? Is she raped by a creature? NOTHING is definitive at the moment.

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

One would assume that these articles are excerpts from the book "The Art of Prometheus".

Quote from: zuzuki on Apr 24, 2012, 10:45:43 PM
Quote from: Gash on Apr 24, 2012, 10:40:43 PM

The c-section surgery that's happening in the medpod in one of the trailers. Leaked trailer showed rapace with a fast growing belly,then the c-section in the official trailer. I call it a birth scene, not a extraction. Either way, they spoiled it

We are spoiling ourselves already for several years with the leaks & discussing them :)

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 24, 2012, 10:47:22 PM
We don't actually know what happens to Shaw....is she impregnated? Does she give birth? Is she raped by a creature? NOTHING is definitive at the moment.
Yeah but they kept talking about that scene, being shot on a closed set, and only a few people know what happens in it. It doesn't matter how Shaw ended up with that thing inside her. What matters is that they showed us in trailer the secret scene. Now a million things could happen before and after the surgery happens, but it still feels spoiled. Just my 2 cents anyway

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

QuoteMany of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables...

Plants and sea-creatures I can buy into - they do some creepy shit - but vegetables? Why the hell did he mention vegetables? Out beloved xeno was partly modeled on insects, and our new beast is partly modeled on.... vegetables!?

I don't know about you guys, but I am struggling to think of anything noteworthy that vegetables do, other than be tasty and nutritious. ;)

T Dog

T Dog

f**k marketing

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

some vegetables eat insects....or

the Hydnora africana, an unusual flesh-colored, parasitic flower that attacks the nearby roots of shrubby in arid deserts of South Africa. The putrid-smelling blossom attracts herds of carrion beetles.

Sometimes it's how they function that's creepy.....like that plant that infects ants....I think they probably meant 'vegetation.'

mastermoon

mastermoon

Wow thats one hell of an update.

I'm impressed :).

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 24, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
QuoteMax's epic sets that bring to life the alien planet include a Pyramid, which contains the Juggernaut, a ship similar to the crashed crescent shaped ship seen in Alien.
What did I say, Corporal Hicks?  ;)

Kol

Kol

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 24, 2012, 11:11:28 PM
some vegetables eat insects....or

http://media.divinecaroline.com/ext/article_images/plants/2001348574948645778_rs.jpg

the Hydnora africana, an unusual flesh-colored, parasitic flower that attacks the nearby roots of shrubby in arid deserts of South Africa. The putrid-smelling blossom attracts herds of carrion beetles.

Sometimes it's how they function that's creepy.....like that plant that infects ants....I think they probably meant 'vegetation.'

do you remember this scene in the trailer, where this indefinable, blue tendril appears?

that may be the explanation for the plant-statement of scott.

or vegetable  ;)

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed