Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 19, 2016, 08:06:23 PM

Author
Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator (Read 23,805 times)

Corporal Hicks

The invasion comment I wouldn't take so literally. I really don't believe that's what he meant.

The detective angle...I'm not sure how to take that at the minute. Like we said earlier, Predator 2 took that kind of angle but it could mean anything.

overthere

Quote from: WGAS on May 24, 2016, 02:11:16 AM
Well sh**! I WAS excited for a Predator 4 movie. Now with it potentially being a lame predator invasion/detective cop movie, I'd rather there not be a Predator 4 movie if this is it.

Predator and Predator 2 were both about a Predator invasion. Shane specifically said it's NOT about a bunch of Predators. And the detective thing was probably a joke.

Infected

You guys probably all have seen this making of Predator,
but damn that was some real testosteron back then.

Talking about character, just awesome!!!

LordCassusSnow

Maybe it could be like Predator Bloody Sands of Time?

SiL

Jesus Christ, he says there's a bit of detective story in everything he does, not that it's literally going to be a detective story.

Predator arguably has elements of a detective story in it, trying to work out what this thing is and how to stop it.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on May 25, 2016, 06:51:37 AM
Jesus Christ, he says there's a bit of detective story in everything he does, not that it's literally going to be a detective story.

Predator arguably has elements of a detective story in it, trying to work out what this thing is and how to stop it.

Deadmeat

For some reason I imagine there would be a moment where the protagonist teams up with the antagonist at some point in the film to battle the Predator, which would be a nice turning point in the film. I know there are plenty of ways to express that detective narrative, or at least add the flavor, and maybe this one seems outdated or cliche, but I kinda like the idea.

Imagine cops and drug lords teaming up in an urban environment to battle a Predator. Now that would a light show!!

Federick Gonsa

Quinn McKenna... Why does that name sound familiar??? Was that name ever used on any of the older Predator scripts??? I could be wrong... I probably am.

Corporal Hicks

I don't recognize it myself. Could it have been in one of the comics or books?

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on May 27, 2016, 09:56:55 PM
Quinn McKenna... Why does that name sound familiar??? Was that name ever used on any of the older Predator scripts??? I could be wrong... I probably am.

In the early predator draft there are more people in the team,one of them was had Irish ,i will check the names sunday

SiL

There was no McKenna in the original Predator script. There was a Williams, though.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: SiL on May 28, 2016, 11:28:15 PM
There was no McKenna in the original Predator script. There was a Williams, though.

I've got a Murphy in the april 85' draft. :D

Corporal Hicks

New article from Den of Geek about the genre of The Predator: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-predator/41019/exclusive-the-predator-part-noir-part-mystery-part-close-encounters

QuoteWhat marked out the first film was the way it moved between genres. For almost the first hour, Predator began as a war film before throwing its band of tough mercenaries headlong into slasher-horror territory. By biding its time and shifting tones, John McTiernan's movie got us invested in all the characters before the eight-foot, manhunting Predator finally took centre stage.

Our question for Shane Black, then, was simple: will The Predator feature a similar blend of genres?

"I think the tone shifting is important," Black told us. "This one is going to be very scary if I get it right, and hopefully also there'll be some humour in it. The first one  had humour in it, so you really got engaged with this group of guys [...] We'll cast very carefully. We'll get a group of people against the monster that I think you're gonna enjoy spending time with."

As for the style of the movie, expect a sense of mystery as well as noir thriller - a genre clearly close to Black's heart. In what may sound surprising to some readers, The Predator will also take a hint of inspiration from Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters Of The Third Kind...

"The sensibility will be part noir, part mystery and part Close Encounters. The feeling I loved about Close Encounters was, you had this ordinary guy, Roy Neary, to whom this is all new. I think the danger of a Predator sequel is that it's not new to anybody anymore. 'Oh, look honey - another Predator. Yeah, we had one of those last year. Gagh, is he in the barn again? Oh God, he's had the sheep.' You know? That's the danger. That it's too familiar - we have to find a way to make him mysterious again."

HuDaFuK

I do like what I'm hearing from Black over this.

overthere

Predator does have a lot of potential for a good thriller. I love every new piece of information so far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed