Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 151,056 times)

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Yeah, Alien Resurrection is a good example, tanked domestically, smashed it overseas, took SEVEN years for the franchise to return (in the form of a spin-off not a continuation). It's not that Fox won't care that Prometheus is on course for $200mill internationally, it's just that they'll receive 40-50% of it after they've paid off the theatres etc.

bleau

bleau

There is a good possibility that the budget is lower then 110 because  I remember hearing that Ridley and co got tax breaks for production. IDK what marketing and all that cost? Anyway the film looks to be doing good at bo. Anytime you can double your money is good, right?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 27, 2012, 05:47:40 AM
Yeah, Alien Resurrection is a good example, tanked domestically, smashed it overseas, took SEVEN years for the franchise to return (in the form of a spin-off not a continuation).
I think you missed the point of SM bringing up Resurrection. Alien 3 did a poor job domestically, smashed it internationally, and got us Resurrection.

And it took seven years to go from Alien to Aliens.

SM

SM

Yus.

QuoteThere is a good possibility that the budget is lower then 110 because  I remember hearing that Ridley and co got tax breaks for production. IDK what marketing and all that cost? Anyway the film looks to be doing good at bo. Anytime you can double your money is good, right?

It's better than not doubling your money, but it's not exactly blockbuster either.

Budget is reportedly $120-130m.  Conservatively speaking chuck on another $50m for promotions, then (also conservatively) add another $50m to the box office for home media and other merch.

bleau

bleau

Well by looking and thinking about those^ figures/dollars, it looks as if it will be close to making decent profit. Someone said something about it having a few more markets to open up in. That could maybe help it get to 300 mil world wide total. I'd say we'll get a sequel somewhere down the road, maybe four or five years.

SM

SM

It could make a bit in Japan, but the other territories won't do huge business.  It might get to $300m.

Based on that I can't imagine we'll get a sequel straightaway.  At least not without a reduced budget.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2012, 06:32:16 AM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 27, 2012, 05:47:40 AM
Yeah, Alien Resurrection is a good example, tanked domestically, smashed it overseas, took SEVEN years for the franchise to return (in the form of a spin-off not a continuation).
I think you missed the point of SM bringing up Resurrection. Alien 3 did a poor job domestically, smashed it internationally, and got us Resurrection.

And it took seven years to go from Alien to Aliens.

Of course, my bad!

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2012, 06:55:37 AM
It could make a bit in Japan, but the other territories won't do huge business.  It might get to $300m.

Yeah, unless it does what it did in the UK I can see it making about $30 million give or take from those 4 territories (that is judging on the performance of the most recent films in those locations).

But I'd say there's still $15-$17 million left in the domestic box office to gain (looking at the decline with other films) and another $20 million overseas before any of those territories open. I don't think $300 million will be hard to get to but i do think it'll be the last milestone the film crosses.

bleau

bleau

^^^ That sounds really good to me. Also there will be home video rentals and sales on top of that. I can't see how a sequel wouldn't get made, when all is said and done.

Also like to know what territories it has to open up in??? I think Japan, China?

zakzak

zakzak

I think this is the kind of film that will clean up on home video front. I think it could gross another $200 million on DVD & bluray worldwide, maybe more. Especially with an extended sequence edition. I say theatrical gross would hit $350 million, plus another $200 million on bluray, TV rights plus cable rights, total : $600 million (not counting the merchandising). If they keep the marketing cost low, this movie can make a tidy profit at the end.

PS: What kind of things the big studios spend on marketing? Jesus, does it cost them $150 million to print one-sheet posters? To book the movie stars on Jay Leno? Tell me! They should just scrap this marketing spending altogether!

PROMETHEUS is banned in China because it promotes alternate religious thinking. Seriously?

They were also considering banning MIB 3 because time travel is a dangerous idea. But as it turned out, MIB3 is allowed to be screened in China and gross an excellent $75 million so far. Also, TRANSFORMERS 3, a science fiction about space faring giant beings grossed $145 million in that country. I think Fox should  push for PROMETHEUS to be released in China where the space program has become a recent technological milestone for the people there.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2012, 06:55:37 AM

Based on that I can't imagine we'll get a sequel straightaway.  At least not without a reduced budget.

Germany, Italy, Spain, and Japan will account for considerable gross (at least $30m combined), plus especially Brazil and Mexico (and to a lesser degree) Venezuela which had their debuts not too long ago and has been tracked by Box Office Mojo only recently. That will amount to another $15m at least (it already earned around $13m in Brazil and Mexico at this point, plus Venezuela could get another $2m). Poland, Austria, and Switzerland should generate $15m combined too.

So, at the very least it will get $330m (considering it's nearing the end of its theatrical run in the US but it could still get some of the last bucks). Not bad for a...human.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Whilst its takings in the US are a little undesirable, in mine and Ridleys native country, the magnificently shit UK, it's been something of a big hit. 3 weeks at number 1. It's been a proper adult blockbuster.

BANE

BANE

About $1.4 million yesterday. Pretty decent. Still holding at 4th place, though how Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter is making more is beyond me.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

So the total domestic gross will be similar to the one of Super 8's and should surpass District 9 and Green Lantern while doing significantly better internationally than all of them.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: KampZ on Jun 26, 2012, 10:58:55 PM
You gotta make that back in the U.S. Ridley Scott HAS to direct it to. I doubt he has any plans.

Tell that to GI Joe: Rise of Cobra which is getting a sequel when the movie did poorly domestically  ::). Same with Terminator 3 which barely made back it's budget in the US but was one of the highest grossing movies of 2003.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed