Alien Identity - Alien Fan Film

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 14, 2015, 07:57:52 AM

Author
Alien Identity - Alien Fan Film (Read 44,545 times)

XENOMORPHOSIS

RakaiThwei

Its a no win situation. If it still connects to Alien 3 fans of Aliens aren't going to be interested due to the event of that film killing off their favourite characters. And if it only follows Aliens fans of Alien 3 are going to be disappointed that they coped out.

One other approach that could be taken is that we see fully grown up Newt, it centres on her facing off against the Xenomorphs, taking over the mantle of Ripley as it were.

However by the end of the 3rd act it turns out not to be the real Newt, she's a synthetic replica of her, programmed with implanted fabricated memories, believing herself to be human on aware of her true being. Ist a form of trial run experiment for Extermination of Xenomorphs, so in this twist its still ties to Alien 3 with Newt being dead.

Though an odd flip of expectations I'm really not keen on the idea of "The events of this film turn out to be a dream all along so it ties into the cannon of Alien 3"

It would also come across as a big waste of time for fans wanting Newt back, it'd be completely misleading. >:(

Corporal Hicks

If they want to return to Hicks, Newt and Ripley I'd just rather than ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection than attempt to explain the films away.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2015, 07:00:46 AMIf they want to return to Hicks, Newt and Ripley I'd just rather than ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection than attempt to explain the films away.

Yeah, this. While I certainly don't want them to write off any of the existing films, if they insist on doing it I'd rather they just ignored them than come up with some convoluted workaround. Because every workaround I've heard suggested is just ridiculous.

SiL

SiL

I'm glad to hear this has been Foxed, if only because it's pushed them into doing something original they can have complete control of and call their own, which will be much better for their careers.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jul 16, 2015, 03:56:57 AM
Its a no win situation. If it still connects to Alien 3 fans of Aliens aren't going to be interested due to the event of that film killing off their favourite characters. And if it only follows Aliens fans of Alien 3 are going to be disappointed that they coped out.

Not really.

There's far more Aliens fans out there than Alien 3 fans. And while they are quite vocal, the hardcore Alien 3 fans are really only a very small minority.

Fox and Blomkamp will simply cater for the larger fanbase which will likely make it a financial win for them.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2015, 07:00:46 AM
If they want to return to Hicks, Newt and Ripley I'd just rather than ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection than attempt to explain the films away.

For once, we agree.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 16, 2015, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jul 16, 2015, 03:56:57 AM

Not really.

There's far more Aliens fans out there than Alien 3 fans. And while they are quite vocal, the hardcore Alien 3 fans are really only a very small minority.

Fox and Blomkamp will simply cater for the larger fanbase which will likely make it a financial win for them.

Its no doubt it'll be financial win, but it won't be for the fans base, its bound to build an expectation that can't be meet.

These semi reboot/ retcon sequel have to be vastly superior to their failed predecessors to justify their creation and the never entirely succeed in pulling that off.

As as we've seen with  Terminator Genisys, it may claim to be a more true sequel but apparently critics and movie goers have not been that impressed and its no performed so well Domestically. Sure it may just recoup finances internationally, but it seems that if a fan base has been burned enough times they'll avoid it.

Corporal Hicks

Terrible word of month, awful looking trailers and the big twist being spoiled well before hand probably didn't help it either.

I'm in no rush to go to see Genesys.

THE CITY HUNTER

Man it is funny is getting so much attention and getting famous actors it is like this is alien 5.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Who's famous?

Corporal Hicks

Ricco Ross and Carrie Henn.

SpreadEagleBeagle

That's too bad, even though the whole His & N00t / ignoring A3 & A:R basis of the story lowered the anticipation for this project considerably. I really don't get the fascination with Newt and even more so when it comes to Hicks.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 15, 2015, 05:07:05 PM
I don't see how it's similar to Blomkamp when we don't even know what the story will be in that. Do you think he will make the script available or give us an outline of what would have actually happened in the film?

All such a shame. Predator Dark Ages, if anything, had a positive effect on Predator, bringing the character back into people's minds. It's all free promotion for Fox.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with the stories being the same. Fox thinking potential audiences would feel 'confused' by it, is just their typical view of fans. It's more likely to be because of the timing similarity, having a couple of actors who are officially linked with the series and taking the same road of trying to directly lead on from 'Aliens' (if recent speculation is to be believed).

I suspect those were the only elements Fox needed to start feeling justified in the 'would-confuse-the-public' stuff.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 16, 2015, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Jul 15, 2015, 05:07:05 PM
I don't see how it's similar to Blomkamp when we don't even know what the story will be in that. Do you think he will make the script available or give us an outline of what would have actually happened in the film?

All such a shame. Predator Dark Ages, if anything, had a positive effect on Predator, bringing the character back into people's minds. It's all free promotion for Fox.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with the stories being the same. Fox thinking potential audiences would feel 'confused' by it, is just their typical view of fans. It's more likely to be because of the timing similarity, having a couple of actors who are officially linked with the series and taking the same road of trying to directly lead on from 'Aliens' (if recent speculation is to be believed).

I suspect those were the only elements Fox needed to start feeling justified in the 'would-confuse-the-public' stuff.

^^^I agree with this. For instance, we know Hicks is back, and FOX is likely intending to use that fact as a talking point for publicity, as the masses consume the information. We still don't know if Newt is back, so imagine you are searching for info on the new official Alien film, which will have a "with characters surviving after Aliens" dialogue surrounding it, and then you start to see this info regarding these actors from Aliens, showing up in this other UN-official Alien film, which also has a "with characters surviving after Aliens" dialogue surrounding it,.. It's just bad timing on their part.

As a filmmaker, I have a hard enough time trying to get excited about fan-films. A number of colleagues of mine are involved in the making of some of the bigger ones as of late. What I really don't get, is wanting to make fan-films that exist outside of the continuity...

I fully get the idea of making a fan film that exists as a side-quel or some other story you didn't get to see that doesn't tread on the continuity. It irks me, especially with the Alien franchise, because this series' continuity lends itself perfectly to new stories and unseen stories, so I can't understand from the storytelling side of filmmaking, why fans insist on returning to things that already happened, or didn't happen the way they liked, or some alternate version of something that they liked...

I'm not judging really, not at this point, but with the recent apparent omission of Alien 3, from the official continuity, and the fan films that keep focusing on these characters having not died,..  I guess I'm just trying to understand the motivation or how someone finds that motivating. I just don't understand why people are MORE excited to revisit and revise, than they are to create wholly new additions to the mythology - something fan films can absolutely do. Ive seen many people post fascinating new ideas... So while I'm specifically asking: Why do we remain so fixated on Newt and Hicks? To me it's more an issue of wondering why this is so motivating to fans in general. Wouldn't you rather make a fan film that could potentially be considered part of the franchise by fans?

With respect to those characters, I get that we never got to see them do more, and that seems unfair or something, but you know... what's done is done? As a storyteller, it seems more exciting to be liberated from the constrains of interupting continuity, than to keep retooling it.

Someone will no doubt tell me what we got after their deaths occurred was never as good... But honestly, that's not because those characters died, it was just because the soup wasn't made well. It wasn't that they moved on from them, it was just the specific decisions made, once they decided to. So that isn't an argument for bringing them back, instead of moving on. In fact, its why I don't mind deleting A:R, because that film also refused to move on, after killing off Ripley, even if I like some of the new content... They were in the perfect position to move on to something else and they didn't. Why?

Well, and I've been dancing around this point, but the reason why is because they feel like the "characters surviving who previously died" has built-in publicity. Do you see? Because it instantly gets people blogging and typing and hyping and guessing and so on, and that is why it happens.

As for ALIEN: IDENTITY, I would love to see those filmmakers ask Fox for permission to tell a separate ALIEN story with no connection to the continuity and still use the same talent. That's much more exciting to me as a fan.

swarm87

swarm87

something tells me fox is more worried about it being better than alien 5 instead of confusing fans for alien 5

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed