Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 07, 2020, 02:58:50 PM

Author
Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111 (Read 15,328 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 111th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are once again joined by contributing writer and community guest Voodoo Magic, and regular host Xenomorphine is making his big video debut, as we reconvene to talk about Predators as the third Predator film reaches the big 1-0!

Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111

We discuss how our opinions changed from the pre-release of Predators to a post-The Predator world, the controversy around the homages within the Predators, the strength of the cast and characters, Super Predators vs. Berserker Predators, and plenty more!

As we usually do, we do tangent off to talk about comic covers. And just to clarify for the post, it was indeed Phil Norwood that created the wrap-around cover art Xenomorphine was using as a background, and Den Beauvais was responsible for the cover art for Aliens vs. Predator: Booty.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

If you’d rather watch than just listen, you can also enjoy the newest episode in video form with our beautiful faces on YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Voodoo Magic

Boy did those 10 years go by fast!  It feels like yesterday when I was just watching the trailer!

https://twitter.com/FnVoodooMagic/status/1280529491966619650

Kradan

Kradan

Oh yes! Voodoo is back ! 2 and half hours ? I'm already in love. And I finally get to see Xenomorphine's face ? Man, it's like Christmas !  :D

I have so fond memories about this movie. I still remember how I hadn't realised initially (I was 9-10 years old and knew nothing about it) that it was Predator movie and was so  happy when PREDATORS logo poped up

j0nesy

i know what i'll be listening to on my bike ride after work :P

XenoHunter99

That was a good discussion. I don't recall the vitriol in the pre-release. Predators is not a perfect movie, but I like it well enough.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 07, 2020, 05:43:58 PM
Oh yes! Voodoo is back ! 2 and half hours ? I'm already in love. And I finally get to see Xenomorphine's face ? Man, it's like Christmas !  :D

THE APOCALYPSE COMETH! :o

426Buddy

Lol Xenomorphine I thought you were an old man based on your voice, what a surprise lol. :laugh:

Xenomorphine

Compared to Hicks, I am. ;D

426Buddy

426Buddy

I had such a different picture in my head lol. I mean I'm only 34 but man I thought you were this crusty looking slightly overweight old guy lol. I have no idea why ;D

Loved the podcast fellas!

Weird I agreed with Ridgetop over AP more in this one. Usually its the other way around lol. Thank you guys!

I was pretty meh on this film upon release. I also felt the homages were too much and the effects/suit work didn't quite work for me.

However I have always loved Brody in this flick, he was the best part for me. Also having recently gone back and watched it I found it much more enjoyable than I remember. Upon release I gave it a 6/10 but now I would also say 8/10.

Xenomorphine

Glad I could debunk that misconception without even knowing!

Certainly agree about Brody. Was a lot more convincing than I expected him to be in that sort of role.

j0nesy

i remember a few laughs in the theater when it came to his arnie-style shirtless, camouflage reveal, but i too rather enjoyed his portrayal or royce. especially the dynamic with isabelle, who i also found to be a neat character

Immortan Jonesy

I couldn't have said it better! the alien drill has the Space Jockey-like mystique.

I've really enjoyed this podcast. Nice job.

That said, I found it interesting when RidgeTop brought up the comparison between dogs & wolves as an analog equivalent between Super Predators & Predators. The former really look more raw, bestial and primitive.

I also agree with Voodoo's criticism on the Hell-Hound design; in particular the point related to evolution.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2020, 10:19:35 PM
Lol Xenomorphine I thought you were an old man based on your voice, what a surprise lol. :laugh:

The feeling is mutual  :laugh:

Kradan

Btw, Corporal, what about AVP2 Marine campaign ? I'm so thirsty for that

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 07, 2020, 08:37:02 PM
That was a good discussion. I don't recall the vitriol in the pre-release. Predators is not a perfect movie, but I like it well enough.

I was a little surprised by it too. I remember all the IMDB morons after the film came out, but re-reading all the responses to the news articles, there was a lot of it. Was embarressing.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2020, 10:19:35 PM

:laugh: He's like 70.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2020, 11:07:45 PM
I had such a different picture in my head lol. I mean I'm only 34 but man I thought you were this crusty looking slightly overweight old guy lol. I have no idea why ;D

Wow. What a compliment.  :-X  :D

QuoteWeird I agreed with Ridgetop over AP more in this one. Usually its the other way around lol. Thank you guys!

You're allowed to be wrong occasionally.  :P

QuoteHowever I have always loved Brody in this flick, he was the best part for me. Also having recently gone back and watched it I found it much more enjoyable than I remember. Upon release I gave it a 6/10 but now I would also say 8/10.

That's a fair score. How does that compare against Predator 2? What would you give that?

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 08, 2020, 07:57:39 AM
Btw, Corporal, what about AVP2 Marine campaign ? I'm so thirsty for that

It's coming. I've only got so much time in a day, so much will in a week, and only so much neglect the GF will take.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Wow to think that movie came ten year ago, How times have changed, I recall an eagerness and hype for this movie, but also trepidation that it could've sucked. I was very post seeing the movie, I can acknowledge it wasn't perfect, mildly disappointed it wasn't an objectively great 10/10 like we wanted for Predator to make a come back. Had some interesting exchanges with other who were disappointed with the film and brought some Constructive point to support their opinions. I think the movie holds up ok, wondering how the 10 year anniversary for The Predator will Look, and hopefully  there are movie Predator movies to come.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed