[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 96,612 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

But thats the Predator's whole honor code thing isn't it? If they make Predator's OP then whats the point in watching a film about Aliens who face off against the deadliest of the human species? Why not just give them Thano's guantlet and have them snap their way through things? Thats not a movie i want to see. The whole mystique to Yautja is that their bodies look like men....maybe a little taller....and scalier skin. and when you best them in a fight, they take off their mask and they are ugly as f**k!

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 19, 2021, 02:03:51 PM
And putting a Commanche on horseback versus a Predator on "horseback" just harkens me back to the Falconer versus Hanzo sword fight. The more Predators fight like humans the more it demystifies (to me). So I want to avoid that.

BigDaddyJohn

And putting a Commanche on horseback versus a Predator on "horseback" just harkens me back to the Falconer versus Hanzo sword fight. The more Predators fight like humans the more it demystifies (to me). So I want to avoid that.

A 1000 times this.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 19, 2021, 03:56:11 PM
But thats the Predator's whole honor code thing isn't it? If they make Predator's OP then whats the point in watching a film about Aliens who face off against the deadliest of the human species? Why not just give them Thano's guantlet and have them snap their way through things? Thats not a movie i want to see. The whole mystique to Yautja is that their bodies look like men....maybe a little taller....and scalier skin. and when you best them in a fight, they take off their mask and they are ugly as f**k!

No, I don't want to give Predators Thanos' guantlet. :laugh:

I do love the Mano-a-mano combat, when a Predator finds their lion and bests them in hand-to-hand combat. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of Predators mimicking styles. I admit it somehow works when the Jungle Hunter decides to best Dutch at his own game... fist punching for a brutal minute. But when Hanzo pauses mid-fighting, and the Predator pauses mid-fighting, then Hanzo raises his blade, then the Falconer raises his blade, it just starts feeling very human to me. And a horse battle would go that way for me too (I think).

But give me a Harrigan vs City Hunter melee fight anytime!  ;D

Master

After Predator dogs from last one I really don't want Predator  horses in this one. Commanche on horseback is cool as f**k, but I want Predator to hunt them their own way.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah agreed.

The original Predator started as overpowered and routinely eliminated his targets from behind, with more advanced weaponry, whilst invisible!

And when Jungle Hunter goes hand to hand with Dutch it's no contest whatsoever.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 19, 2021, 04:29:04 PM
I do love the Mano-a-mano combat, when a Predator finds their lion and bests them in hand-to-hand combat. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of Predators mimicking styles. I admit it somehow works when the Jungle Hunter decides to best Dutch at his own game... fist punching for a brutal minute. But when Hanzo pauses mid-fighting, and the Predator pauses mid-fighting, then Hanzo raises his blade, then the Falconer raises his blade, it just starts feeling very human to me. And a horse battle would go that way for me too (I think).

I gotta admit my idea about the Hanzo vs Falconer fight is really mixed. For being part of a Bad Blood clan, Falconer did show honor in that fight of letting Hanzo recover from the harder hits he delivered on him which took away from what the three Predators were supposed to portray that their rules and hunting style are different and considered dishonorable from the mainstream clans. At the same time, I do love the obvious nod to samurai fights from old Japanese films which was not only choreographed well, but its also the closest thing I got from a samurai vs Predator fight so I take it with some conflicted feelings.

But agreed, for this upcoming film, I want some brutal and fast tomahawk, spear, warclub fights against wristblades.

Immortan Jonesy

I wouldn't want to see Predators on Earth horses, but a Predator on this type of alien steed would be quite a visual!  :o 

Everybody's a gangsta until a Yautja ride a Tyranid.

BigDaddyJohn

It was horrible, two grandpas fighting, but one of them actually has an alien costume that makes him move even more awkwardly  :laugh:

A predator never looked more like a guy in a suit than here, until The Predator lab scene.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 19, 2021, 07:50:10 PM
And when Jungle Hunter goes hand to hand with Dutch it's no contest whatsoever.

And the Jungle Hunter doesn't let his opponent fall, get back up, catch his breath, like the Falconer does with Hanzo. The Jungle Hunter just brutally demonstrates his dominance!

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 20, 2021, 02:46:31 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 19, 2021, 04:29:04 PM

I gotta admit my idea about the Hanzo vs Falconer fight is really mixed. For being part of a Bad Blood clan, Falconer did show honor in that fight of letting Hanzo recover from the harder hits he delivered on him which took away from what the three Predators were supposed to portray that their rules and hunting style are different and considered dishonorable from the mainstream clans. At the same time, I do love the obvious nod to samurai fights from old Japanese films which was not only choreographed well, but its also the closest thing I got from a samurai vs Predator fight so I take it with some conflicted feelings.

I can get that.

QuoteBut agreed, for this upcoming film, I want some brutal and fast tomahawk, spear, warclub fights against wristblades.

Now you're speaking my language!  :o

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 20, 2021, 10:18:45 AM
It was horrible, two grandpas fighting, but one of them actually has an alien costume that makes him move even more awkwardly  :laugh:

A predator never looked more like a guy in a suit than here, until The Predator lab scene.

Yeah, true.

I do like the look of the Falconer though. It's my favorite Super Predator out of the bunch! And my headcanon still is the Falconer is a female Predator (until we see one clearly depicted on screen!)  ;D

Voodoo Magic

AliceApocalypse

Mirrored combat technique makes for a better sport possibly?

Jungle Hunter & Dutch = guerilla type warfare
City Hunter & Harrigan = gangster fights
Falconer & Hanzo = samurai style

Not all of them exhibit this behavior, however many seem to highlight a pattern.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Apr 22, 2021, 12:08:03 PM
Mirrored combat technique makes for a better sport possibly?

Jungle Hunter & Dutch = guerilla type warfare
City Hunter & Harrigan = gangster fights
Falconer & Hanzo = samurai style

Not all of them exhibit this behavior, however many seem to highlight a pattern.

Hmm. Interesting perspective AA!

To me, I don't really see most of this as Predators mirroring styles of combat in Predator and Predator 2, but rather just situational to their environment, their prey and a dash of personality. :)

For instance, in Predator 87, for what we see on screen, I don't believe overall that we see from Dutch's team or their enemy combatants is anything that really equates much to guerilla warfare. The Jungle Hunter's assassinate & move tactic, this strike - retreat - strike again isn't any emulation that I can see, but rather just a case of the Jungle Hunter not being able to match them as a whole, all at once, especially with those weapons! It also seems to be a hunting tactic used again in Predator 2.

In Predator 2, the City Hunter was much more brash. Granted, he was hunting prey with lesser weapons mostly (at least with the cops, and maybe Goldtooth's gang, but El Scorpio's buddies were armed to the max - but closed quarters certainly didn't help the Columbians.) But I digress. You can't do much strike - retreat - strike again in a Subway that cocky bastard, but the City Hunter did use some of that assassinate & move tactic both in the Penthouse and the Slaughterhouse, but just at a faster pace. And like the Jungle Hunter, it also surveyed, stalked, and waited to strike, which none of it correlated (at least to me) with gangster fights. :)

Mr.Turok

Lets not forget that in Predators, it was mentioned that they were practicing this hunting style of abducing prey from various worlds and dump them into their planet game preserve for hundreds of years now, that they pick up new tactics and gear as they go along with every encounter. It seems to me that perhaps Falconer was the one who took down a samurai and was impressed with the samurai's skill that he incorporated it into his own fighting style. Hence why he was a bit merciful to Hanzo in his last fight, not only to make it last longer but also perhaps when you are that skilled and honorable that even an dishonorable alien warrior respected and adapted that kind of nobility down the line against future opponents.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 22, 2021, 06:23:49 PM
Lets not forget that in Predators, it was mentioned that they were practicing this hunting style of abducing prey from various worlds and dump them into their planet game preserve for hundreds of years now, that they pick up new tactics and gear as they go along with every encounter.

I don't think this is quite right, and it was more ambiguous than that. Also it was about the Super Predators, not the Predators.

But Noland said every once in a while when one them got killed by their prey, they get real interested, and they learn quick, adapt, develop a whole new set of skills, armor, weapons or tactics change. Which doesn't really necessarily indicate the Super Predators are copying the prey's fighting styles that killed them, but it just indicates the Super Predators change their ways, so it doesn't happen again. The Super Predators adapt for a particular tactic, strategy, or weapon that the dropped prey used to kill one of them with.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 22, 2021, 07:15:35 PM
But Noland said every once in a while when one them got killed by their prey, they get real interested, and they learn quick, adapt, develop a whole new set of skills, armor, weapons or tactics change. Which doesn't really necessarily indicate the Super Predators are copying the prey's fighting styles that killed them, but it just indicates the Super Predators change their ways, so it doesn't happen again. The Super Predators adapt for a particular tactic, strategy, or weapon that the dropped prey used to kill one of them with.

I love this kind of scope for the Predator lore, clearly presenting another culture apart from the classic Predator. A subspecies that learns from its hunting mistakes. Something like a study of the prey in order to make hunting engineering. There was potential here to expand the mythos for sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed