A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 34,524 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2016, 09:01:13 AM
That's what should be being done. Obviously, this wasn't Blomkamp's original intent (that came as a result of talking to Sigourney Weaver) and I would have preferred to have seen that.

Wait... the whole idea of it being a direct sequel to Aliens, ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection was not his idea but Weaver's?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2016, 01:16:24 PM
leave it to the fans to argue about multiverse crap.

To be honest... as much as I want one... I'm not sure if we're getting that anymore.

PsyKore

When I first saw the concept art of Ripley in an Alien suit, or whatever it is, I thought it would be a follow-on from A:R. I'm still unsure if that was the initial intention or if it was done just for the hell of it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 20, 2016, 05:02:04 AM
That's what should be being done. Obviously, this wasn't Blomkamp's original intent (that came as a result of talking to Sigourney Weaver) and I would have preferred to have seen that.

Wait... the whole idea of it being a direct sequel to Aliens, ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection was not his idea but Weaver's?

If I'm remembering rightly. I'll have to go look it up but I'm pretty sure Blomkamp said Ripley and Hicks' inclusion came from talking to her on the set of Chappie.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2016, 01:16:24 PM
leave it to the fans to argue about multiverse crap.

To be honest... as much as I want one... I'm not sure if we're getting that anymore.

Suits me just fine. The films don't need to go out their way to setup a multiverse or alternate realities. Completely unsuitable for the tone of the Alien films.

HuDaFuK

Here's how you do it:

Either make a film that doesn't write off any of the existing movies, or do it and get on with it. Trying to shoe-horn in some "they still happened!" excuse will just be contrived and almost certainly ridiculous.

Corporal Hicks

Here you go. Not said explicitly -

QuoteOver the years, I came up with a story for a film in that universe that I wanted to make. And then when I talked to her about her experience making those films and what she thought about Ripley and everything else, it informed and changed the film I wanted to make into something different.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/02/25/neill-blomkamp-talks-alien/
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52362.0

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2016, 07:47:07 AM
Suits me just fine. The films don't need to go out their way to setup a multiverse or alternate realities. Completely unsuitable for the tone of the Alien films.

Personally, I would have to disagree with that. But that's not a discussion for here.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2016, 11:33:09 AM

QuoteOver the years, I came up with a story for a film in that universe that I wanted to make. And then when I talked to her about her experience making those films and what she thought about Ripley and everything else, it informed and changed the film I wanted to make into something different.

Well, I suppose we learn something new everyday.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2016, 11:33:09 AM

Here he says it explicitly:

QuoteMy apprehension with Alien was that I had never worked with someone else's material. And not even someone else – at this point it was like... I'm going to count Fincher in with the third one, even though the third one I don't like as much as the first two. But they're all three awesome filmmakers. So it's not about living up to it and being nervous about it, I just don't want other people to tell me what to do. Which is a different thing. 'Well we think in this film this should happen because it happened in that one.'  That kind of scared me a little bit so then I was like 'I'm just not going to do it, I'm just going to put it out.' But then I spoke to Sigourney [Weaver].

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig

Rankles75

Don't want any kind of multiverse crap, doesn't fit the series at all. Just flat out ignore the last two abortions and I'll be happy...

Perfect-Organism

While I am totally ok with that approach, to me that's the very definition of a multiverse.

HuDaFuK

Not really. It would be retcon.

Perfect-Organism

It still leaves you with two branched universes.  Each having its own EU.  Understandably, the old EU may never continue again, but you never know.  You can't deny there will be 2 resulting branches.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 20, 2016, 04:30:13 PM
Here he says it explicitly:

QuoteMy apprehension with Alien was that I had never worked with someone else's material. And not even someone else – at this point it was like... I'm going to count Fincher in with the third one, even though the third one I don't like as much as the first two. But they're all three awesome filmmakers. So it's not about living up to it and being nervous about it, I just don't want other people to tell me what to do. Which is a different thing. 'Well we think in this film this should happen because it happened in that one.'  That kind of scared me a little bit so then I was like 'I'm just not going to do it, I'm just going to put it out.' But then I spoke to Sigourney [Weaver].

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig

Brilliant, thank you! Knew I'd seen it somewhere.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2016, 06:35:17 PM
It still leaves you with two branched universes.  Each having its own EU.  Understandably, the old EU may never continue again, but you never know.  You can't deny there will be 2 resulting branches.

And add the fact that Weaver more or less said that Alien 3 and Resurrection happened in parallel universes, not to mention Blomkamp has stated that it was not his intention to more or less undo or retcon the third or fourth film. To me, the only ones who know ANYTHING are Weaver and Blomkamp. I'm all for the whole multiverse angle, it's not like they have to address it or show it on film-- a few franchises I know do this, and some really don't have a multiverse but their property owners do consider all entries, regardless of conflictions-- as canon.

But right now, as much as I want a multiverse, and as much as I was happy to hear Weaver's statement... Well... right now everything is up in the air. We don't know how Blomkamp's film will turn out. And that's the killer.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, this is all great, but does anyone actually want to venture any ideas of how it might work to make Blomkamp's film work with A3 and AR?  That's the premise of this thread.  We already know that there are many disparate opinions on the subject, but if it were to work, how would you make that happen in the least convoluted way?  I can't think of anything other than cloning, but I feel there are better writers than myself here.

And C Hicks, Burke knew there was something on LV 426.  Who knows what sort of equipment he had installed on the Sulaco?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2016, 06:35:17 PMIt still leaves you with two branched universes.  Each having its own EU.  Understandably, the old EU may never continue again, but you never know.  You can't deny there will be 2 resulting branches.

It doesn't though, because I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy on the fact they'll never touch the old stuff again.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2016, 08:04:37 PMOk, this is all great, but does anyone actually want to venture any ideas of how it might work to make Blomkamp's film work with A3 and AR?  That's the premise of this thread.  We already know that there are many disparate opinions on the subject, but if it were to work, how would you make that happen in the least convoluted way?

There simply isn't a way that isn't either ridiculous or just outright stupid. If Ripley and Hicks are in it, just scrap the old films. It'll be a lot less silly all round.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed