The Lo-fi Sci-fi of Alien: Isolation Trailer

Started by ikarop, Apr 16, 2014, 02:03:18 PM

Author
The Lo-fi Sci-fi of Alien: Isolation Trailer (Read 26,585 times)

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 21, 2014, 03:22:43 AM
Quote from: WinterActual on Apr 20, 2014, 05:17:10 AM
I never said that people replay RPGs for differences in story. I said that they replay the games for the stuff that alters their GAMEPLAY experience. One time you can run mage but the next you may re roll with warrior, etc. A: Isolation is finish and forget, because your next playthrough will be basically the same, even if you go through different routes, the gameplay will be still exactly the same as the first time.

But they do play it for differences in story, not gameplay is what I'm saying.
That's why say... while TW2 is near enough the exact same gameplay experience every time, people replay it for the different pathways and choices.

And you can't say Isolation will be the same each time, you don't know yet but even if it is people still replay FEAR and Dead Space despite the only difference in those games being what tools and crafting you use.
Which A:I is confirmed to have.

Once in a while maybe, definitely not all the time :p Elder Scrolls on the other hand...

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

As a great man once said "f**k off the edge of mah dick" lol

Seriously though Elder Scrolls is overrated tripe.

gabgrave

Quote from: WinterActual on Apr 20, 2014, 05:17:10 AM
A: Isolation is finish and forget, because your next playthrough will be basically the same, even if you go through different routes, the gameplay will be still exactly the same as the first time.
I dunno, is a game where items are randomized, thus having different tools to use, and unscripted Alien appearances, exactly the same playthrough as the first time?

Xenoscream

Looks good but nothing we didn't already know, it's like they made a list of 20 sound bites and just keep saying them again and again.

The real questions fans have I.e. what is the gameplay outside the demo area like, remain unanswered.

I started out with a huge amount of faith and trust in these guys, and I want to believe, but their refusal to answer the concerns of fans is.., concerning.

Still have high hopes, but they are becoming marred in suspicion.

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 22, 2014, 03:27:20 AM

That's nice. ::) It's still true that Elder Scrolls has more replay value. 'Overrated' or not. :p It's true that people still play amnesia, but that's due largely in part to the custom map feature.

Crazy Rich

The atmosphere from what I've seen is looking and feeling ace so far.

Xenomrph

I like how this game manages to nail the "atmosphere" of 'Alien' better than 'Prometheus' did, and Prometheus was literally directed by the same person who made 'Alien'. :P

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 23, 2014, 10:11:09 AM
I like how this game manages to nail the "atmosphere" of 'Alien' better than 'Prometheus' did, and Prometheus was literally directed by the same person who made 'Alien'. :P

Only Prometheus wasn't trying to be "Alien" at all only small visual references.

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Apr 23, 2014, 04:11:00 AM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 22, 2014, 03:27:20 AM

That's nice. ::) It's still true that Elder Scrolls has more replay value. 'Overrated' or not. :p It's true that people still play amnesia, but that's due largely in part to the custom map feature.

Only I never mentioned Amnesia at all, which is also overrated, but not pure tripe.

The games I did mention however people do play over and over and not because of any "forge" feature.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 23, 2014, 12:34:58 PM

Only Prometheus wasn't trying to be "Alien" at all only small visual references.
No, it was just trying to be an 'Alien' prequel, as in it should have felt like even lower-tech sci-fi than 'Alien' did.

Yes I know you can handwave it with "the Prometheus is state of the art, the Nostromo is just a freighter" whatever, but on the whole Prometheus didn't particularly feel like it was meant to be set in the same "world" as Alien. Not nearly as much as Isolation is shaping up to be.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 24, 2014, 03:26:57 AM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 23, 2014, 12:34:58 PM

No, it was just trying to be an 'Alien' prequel, as in it should have felt like even lower-tech sci-fi than 'Alien' did.

Yes I know you can handwave it with "the Prometheus is state of the art, the Nostromo is just a freighter" whatever, but on the whole Prometheus didn't particularly feel like it was meant to be set in the same "world" as Alien. Not nearly as much as Isolation is shaping up to be.

Ah I see, honestly didn't think someone who thinks AVP is canon would care about that kind of stuff.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Xenoscream on Apr 22, 2014, 08:19:09 PM
Looks good but nothing we didn't already know, it's like they made a list of 20 sound bites and just keep saying them again and again.

The real questions fans have I.e. what is the gameplay outside the demo area like, remain unanswered.

I started out with a huge amount of faith and trust in these guys, and I want to believe, but their refusal to answer the concerns of fans is.., concerning.

I'm not saying you're wrong - I couldn't know that, because I have no insider information.

However, it's clear these guys are constrained by marketing as regards just how much information they can roll out, and when. Silence doesn't necessarily mean 'every other part of the game sucks'; it could just mean, 'we can't share that information yet'. And considering the game releases in October, I find that easy to believe.

Sure, it's possible the game might end up being a ten-ton turkey... but I don't think official silence necessarily implies embarrassment or evasiveness. Nobody's forcing anyone to preorder the game today, so I think a little patience is in order.

Xenoscream

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 24, 2014, 11:16:10 PM
Quote from: Xenoscream on Apr 22, 2014, 08:19:09 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong - I couldn't know that, because I have no insider information.

However, it's clear these guys are constrained by marketing as regards just how much information they can roll out, and when. Silence doesn't necessarily mean 'every other part of the game sucks'; it could just mean, 'we can't share that information yet'. And considering the game releases in October, I find that easy to believe.

Sure, it's possible the game might end up being a ten-ton turkey... but I don't think official silence necessarily implies embarrassment or evasiveness. Nobody's forcing anyone to preorder the game today, so I think a little patience is in order.

Fair points, but they are milking the demo for every drop and aggressively marketing so I think it's fair to ask questions about the rest of the game. I would be a lot more comfortable if they had released the demo and let that speak for itself, hopefully that will happen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed