Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 112,831 times)

The Old One

The Old One

"Yeah, and Cameron and Blomkamp can do that. Since when does anyone doubt about Cameron?"

When was the last time James Cameron made something good? 1997?

And no, I have no confidence in Neill Blomkamp.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 10, 2019, 01:01:38 PM
"Yeah, and Cameron and Blomkamp can do that. Since when does anyone doubt about Cameron?"

When was the last time James Cameron made something good? 1997?

And no, I have no confidence in Neill Blomkamp.

James Cameron has Directed the top 2 highest grossing films of all time (not counting for infaltion). 1. AVATAR (2009) and 2. TITANIC (1997).
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-highest-grossing-movies-of-all-time.html?p=2

Although he shouldn't be too comfortable on his perch as while he chortled at Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERs- he has STAR WARS, MARVEL hot on his heels (albeit they too slipped down audiences favour with dwindling box office returns).
The next disruptive franchise could come from anywhere.

Also with him risking putting his name on that $200 Million gamble Battle Angel, already tracking to be a flop, we'll have to see if James Cameron still has box office clout.

Supposedly the popularity of "TITANIC's" box office is what lead to modern multiplex cinemas with stacked and staggered screenings.

Blomkamp has yet to prove himself with ALIEN 5 (if it happens) but as someone corrected me- that District 9 was moreso the work of WETA Digital and Peter Jackson.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Since when are box office results any indicator of movie quality ?

And Blomkamp proved with Chappie and Elysium that District 9 is not something to expect just because he sits in the director's chair.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 10, 2019, 01:40:13 PM

And Blomkamp proved with Chappie and Elysium that District 9 is not something to expect just because he sits in the director's chair.

A box office flop = everyone agrees to flush a series (MAD MAX-Fury Road I'm looking at you). The reality is if a film is a box offic bomb or under-performs don't expect any more sequels- good or bad.

I already conceeded DISTRICT 9 was more Peter Jackson producing. But Neill Blomkamp is trying to get a new ALIEN film made. Who knows maybe the project will attract competent producers.

The Kurgan

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Feb 10, 2019, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 10, 2019, 01:40:13 PM

A box office flop = everyone agrees to flush a series (MAD MAX-Fury Road I'm looking at you). The reality is if a film is a box offic bomb or under-performs don't expect any more sequels- good or bad.

I already conceeded DISTRICT 9 was more Peter Jackson producing. But Neill Blomkamp is trying to get a new ALIEN film made. Who knows maybe the project will attract competent producers.

Yeah no shit.

Still has nothing to do with quality. Bay's movies made a good amount at the box office. Still does not mean i want to see Michael Bay's Alien 5 or that most of his movies are anything to write home about.

I would prefer a competent director who does not depend on competent producers to make a good movie.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 10, 2019, 02:00:15 PM
I would prefer a competent director who does not depend on competent producers to make a good movie.

100%

P-Rock

Michael Bay's best movie is The Island and that was 90% ripped off from Parts: The Clonus Horror.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 10, 2019, 02:00:15 PMI would prefer a competent director who does not depend on competent producers to make a good movie.

ALIEN (1979)- Walter Hill and David Giller
ALIENS (1986)- Walter Hill and David Giller and Gale Anne Hurd* (*whose diplomatic skills prevented a permanent film crew walk off on ALIENS)
ALIEN VS PREDATOR- Walter Hill and David Giller

The Kurgan

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Feb 10, 2019, 02:32:39 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 10, 2019, 02:00:15 PMI would prefer a competent director who does not depend on competent producers to make a good movie.

ALIEN (1979)- Walter Hill and David Giller
ALIENS (1986)- Walter Hill and David Giller and Gale Anne Hurd* (*whose diplomatic skills prevented a permanent film crew walk off on ALIENS)
ALIEN VS PREDATOR- Walter Hill and David Giller

Seems like the director made all the difference if you look at the results  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

No, it depends on competent Writers and Directors both. Producers? Perhaps.

Alien, Aliens, Alien³- David Giler and Walter Hill,  Ridley Scott- Dan O'Bannon & Ronald Shusett, James Cameron, David Fincher.
Full talent involved in each one.

AR- Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Joss Whedon.
Half talent.

AVP- Paul W.S Anderson and Shane Salerno.
No talent.

AVPR- The "Strauss Bros" and Shane Salerno.
Negative talent.

And that's to say nothing of Alan Ladd Junior, Gale Anne Hurd or Gordon Carroll.
Or the fantastic cast and crews for the first four. Film's a collaborative effort but you can usually ballpark it based upon who's working on it and their history; Neill Blomkamp has a history of writing his own scripts, badly.

Perfect-Organism

Jean-Pierre Jeunet half-talent?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 10, 2019, 03:22:05 PM
Jean-Pierre Jeunet half-talent?

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's proper talent maybe not for the Alien series but proper talent none-the-less, however Joss Whedon has none. So half talent.

HashTag_TheSwag

No thanks, previous director's always at least tried to bring something new to the table (good and bad).
He's already made District 9 three times now. We don't need to see a forth, wrapped in Cameron fan nostalgia.

Wweyland

Isn't he just saying that he is working on giving Blomkamp a call? I think this quote has been blown out of proportion.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 10, 2019, 02:50:46 PM
No, it depends on competent Writers and Directors both. Producers? Perhaps.

Alien, Aliens, Alien³- David Giler and Walter Hill,  Ridley Scott- Dan O'Bannon & Ronald Shusett, James Cameron, David Fincher.
Full talent involved in each one.

Except that the original Alien 3 shooting script was written by Vincent Ward, and Giler and Hill were brought in to do numerous rewrites while they were already shooting the movie, borrowing some elements from previous discarded scripts along the way.

Also, not denying Fincher's talent, but Alien 3 was his first movie and he still had to learn a lot of things. Calling Paul W.S. Anderson basically a talentless hack proves you have little knowledge of movie making.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed