A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 47,536 times)

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

I thought LV426 was destroyed when the Atmosphere processor went ka-boom...

OpenMaw

The colony, Hadley's Hope, was, but the moon still exists.

Though in Alien Trilogy they decided to blow the whole planet up at the end of the game.  :laugh:

SM

426Buddy

"Nebraska extends about 415 mi (668 km) E-W and 205 mi (330 km) N-S."

In case anyone was wondering how big Nebraska actually is.

TC

Since at this point the discussion has broken down into typical off-topic trivia, I'm going to tempt it back on track by blaspheming in the worst possible way: A TV series would be the ideal format to reboot the entire franchise!

F*ckin' hey! Talk about nuking the entire site from orbit. How could I say such a thing?

Probably because I'm not as big a fan as many of you are. I just like the movies. I don't read the novels or comics, I don't cosplay in my very own USCM battle gear, and I don't have any NECA toys.

But I think that makes me open minded because I'm less wedded to what's gone before. For example, I like Sigourney Weaver's acting and she deserves her Oscar nomination, but you know what? Her name on the marquis has never been a big enough draw to get me into a theatre all on its own. Not like, say, Harrison Ford's, or Meryl Streep's, or Charlize Theron's, or a dozen other actors' names.

Think about Mad Max. Not so long ago Mel Gibson was the only person imaginable in that role, but I watched Fury Road and what I saw was Tom Hardy doing the business and doing it well. And I love the Shatner/Nimoy Star Treks, especially the movies, but I also enjoy the Pine/Quinto reboots; I have no problem separating old and new and enjoying both. And the  Battlestar Galactica reboot was good, intelligent drama and even improved on the original (although that was probably an easy win).

My point is that a reboot doesn't necessarily mean sh*ting on the original. Nor does it mean banishing them from history. The Hannibal TV show worked. And there's a TV show called The Exorcist playing on a screen in front of me right now as I type.

But what would a TV series reboot gain?

It would give you the opportunity to smooth over all the joins and lay out a cohesive saga from beginning to end.

I would even integrate some of Prometheus/Covenant into the series, but instead of letting it sit on the front like Michael Jackson's mismatched nose, I would mix it into the series as a parallel storyline concurrent with the tale of Nostromo-Hadley's Hope. In fact, I might even make Fiorina a third parallel storyline swapping in a different character in place of Ripley (maybe Daniels). Modern long-form serials like to use parallel storylines, often criss-crossing in places.

So with advanced planning via a master story bible, characters and plotlines can be introduced at appropriate times and retired with satisfying closures. The franchise as it currently exists was built as an ad hoc series of bolt-on stories, and that's no way to create a coherent drama.

TC

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 08, 2018, 01:22:24 PM
"Nebraska extends about 415 mi (668 km) E-W and 205 mi (330 km) N-S."

In case anyone was wondering how big Nebraska actually is.

Ann Crispin mentions that there was a 19 mega hectare crater on LV-426 in the Resurrection novelisation.  Nebraska is 20 mega hectares in size.

Good guess by Bishop.

426Buddy

Yeah, the the Derelict would be long gone after such an explosion.

The Cruentus

Quote from: TC on Jul 08, 2018, 01:33:35 PM
Since at this point the discussion has broken down into typical off-topic trivia, I'm going to tempt it back on track by blaspheming in the worst possible way: A TV series would be the ideal format to reboot the entire franchise!

F*ckin' hey! Talk about nuking the entire site from orbit. How could I say such a thing?

Probably because I'm not as big a fan as many of you are. I just like the movies. I don't read the novels or comics, I don't cosplay in my very own USCM battle gear, and I don't have any NECA toys.

But I think that makes me open minded because I'm less wedded to what's gone before. For example, I like Sigourney Weaver's acting and she deserves her Oscar nomination, but you know what? Her name on the marquis has never been a big enough draw to get me into a theatre all on its own. Not like, say, Harrison Ford's, or Meryl Streep's, or Charlize Theron's, or a dozen other actors' names.

Think about Mad Max. Not so long ago Mel Gibson was the only person imaginable in that role, but I watched Fury Road and what I saw was Tom Hardy doing the business and doing it well. And I love the Shatner/Nimoy Star Treks, especially the movies, but I also enjoy the Pine/Quinto reboots; I have no problem separating old and new and enjoying both. And the  Battlestar Galactica reboot was good, intelligent drama and even improved on the original (although that was probably an easy win).

My point is that a reboot doesn't necessarily mean sh*ting on the original. Nor does it mean banishing them from history. The Hannibal TV show worked. And there's a TV show called The Exorcist playing on a screen in front of me right now as I type.

It would give you the opportunity to smooth over all the joins and lay out a cohesive saga from beginning to end.

I would even integrate some of Prometheus/Covenant into the series, but instead of letting it sit on the front like Michael Jackson's mismatched nose, I would mix it into the series as a parallel storyline concurrent with the tale of Nostromo-Hadley's Hope. In fact, I might even make Fiorina a third parallel storyline swapping in a different character in place of Ripley (maybe Daniels). Modern long-form serials like to use parallel storylines, often criss-crossing in places.

So with advanced planning via a master story bible, characters and plotlines can be introduced at appropriate times and retired with satisfying closures. The franchise as it currently exists was built as an ad hoc series of bolt-on stories, and that's no way to create a coherent drama.

TC

You don't even need to be just a casual viewer/movie fan to be open minded, you just need to be rational and capable of being objective. I myself am big fan of the series but I don't think they should be following Ripley all the time, have marines and pulse rifles, nor do I think they should resurrect Hicks and Newt, I am open to it but I think what is done is done and Hicks and Newt's deaths aside, Ripley's death was great, her story was wrapped up.

Obviously I have my pet peeves about things like any other fan, like what I moan about is the damn prequels, not because I don't think they shouldn't focus on the Engineers or that there shouldn't be a new story because I tabsolutely hink they should focus on a new story, it just the over the top fantasy grandiose stuff along with the continuity snarls that bothers me, not to mention the insult to the audience's intelligence by expecting us to take the stupidity on screen seriously. David creating the Xenomorphs is another thing I hate but unless somewhere down the line the orgins gets rebooted, nothing we can do about that except hope that Scott changes his mind (again).

426Buddy

Hardcore vs. Casual: Three Thread War

SM

Quote from: TC on Jul 08, 2018, 01:33:35 PM

TC

Remaking the existing material sounds pretty pointless.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 02:22:18 AM
Quite.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.  Indeed A:R was a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above, and that will never change.  But what will happen is that some day the prequels will be finished.  We may get a movie about Isolation, but that will one day be finished too, as that story just leads back to Ripley.  Then we will be faced with moving the films forward, and that will be a post A:R reality, which for the reasons you mentioned about, no one gives a f$&k about.  So there's a chance that A:R may get retconned for something that makes more sense than literally resurrecting dead characters, just like the AVP films got retconned.  If that happens, well then you might as well retcon Alien 3, since you'd already be taking films out of continuity.

Guys, I want the same thing you do, a vibrant, popular, thriving series with regular instalments.  Does anyone here really believe that the series will be a success once the post A:R continuity films start to come in?  Seriously?

I don't want the same thing you do.

But we're not getting a post-Resurrection movie nor an Isolation movie.

QuoteSM, if you want to use the logic that if a character is dead, like Hicks or Newt, they should be left dead, then surely you would prefer A:R to be decanonized right?

You know perfectly well those are two completely different things so take your desperately poor attempt at smart-arsery elsewhere.

The minute your logic fails you start to mouth off life like that?  Lots of class SM.  But I guess that's not the first time you spout off your smug attitude at other forum members.  Check yourself. 

The most generous word for the justification that Ripley forgot is 'ludicrous'.
[/quote]

Maybe Bishop told her it was destroyed.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 08, 2018, 03:18:25 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 02:22:18 AM
Quite.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.  Indeed A:R was a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above, and that will never change.  But what will happen is that some day the prequels will be finished.  We may get a movie about Isolation, but that will one day be finished too, as that story just leads back to Ripley.  Then we will be faced with moving the films forward, and that will be a post A:R reality, which for the reasons you mentioned about, no one gives a f$&k about.  So there's a chance that A:R may get retconned for something that makes more sense than literally resurrecting dead characters, just like the AVP films got retconned.  If that happens, well then you might as well retcon Alien 3, since you'd already be taking films out of continuity.

Guys, I want the same thing you do, a vibrant, popular, thriving series with regular instalments.  Does anyone here really believe that the series will be a success once the post A:R continuity films start to come in?  Seriously?

I don't want the same thing you do.

But we're not getting a post-Resurrection movie nor an Isolation movie.

QuoteSM, if you want to use the logic that if a character is dead, like Hicks or Newt, they should be left dead, then surely you would prefer A:R to be decanonized right?

You know perfectly well those are two completely different things so take your desperately poor attempt at smart-arsery elsewhere.

The minute your logic fails you start to mouth off life like that?  Lots of class SM.  But I guess that's not the first time you spout off your smug attitude at other forum members.  Check yourself. 

The most generous word for the justification that Ripley forgot is 'ludicrous'.

Maybe Bishop told her it was destroyed.

Already stated that Ripley and Ripley8 are two different characters. He's probably just annoyed that you just ignore the logic, rather than the logic itself failing.

Also see the size of nebraska, which is the size of the crater. The Derelict is gone, as was the intention of the film.

Vermillion

TC

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 08, 2018, 02:06:51 PM
...it just the over the top fantasy grandiose stuff along with the continuity snarls that bothers me...

Scott more or less acknowledged he was creating a new franchise with a new look and feel when in his pre-release spiel for Prometheus he said it was unrelated to Alien except for setting. Clearly he could foresee alot of confused and disapointed Alien fans, and was attempting to head that off by "positioning" the audience. A saga-wide reboot would enable consistency of tone.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 08, 2018, 02:06:51 PM
... David creating the Xenomorphs is another thing I hate but unless somewhere down the line the orgins gets rebooted, nothing we can do about that except hope that Scott changes his mind (again).

The prequels actually feel like a kind of spin-off to me, to the point where I can easily conceptualize them as a kind of "alternative history". But I can understand why a die-hard fan feels betrayed by Scott if they get a whiff of that. Everything must be canon!

Personally, I would forego the entire "Chariots of the Gods" premise which holds zero appeal to me and seems quite out of keeping with the Alien 'verse, but I think David as mad-android-scientist could be integrated into a reboot quite well. (Although I think there's more story mileage in maintaining the xeno's origins as far more ancient and mysterious, such that it would require characters to travel ever further into uncharted areas of the galaxy in pursuit of them.)

TC

Huggs

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 08, 2018, 03:49:08 PM
Aliens 90210!

Or Aliens: North by Southwest.

A two episode mad-for-tv movie about an easily confused man with a bad sense of direction who just happens to resemble Hudson. He is spotted by the company, and targeted for assassination. Think of it as an old school slapstick comedy set on gateway station.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed