Alien: Blackout Details Announced

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Author
Alien: Blackout Details Announced (Read 49,182 times)

Hudson

Hudson

The thing about Isolation, which has been highlighted multiple times already, is that it was a labor of love. We've brought up the fact that it was a niche game in a 'dead' genre (someone used that term previously), meaning that while the game is a licensed piece of media created as a product, they took a very admirable risk. The plot may not be perfect, the characterization is weak, but the gameplay is outstanding. They took a gamble and hit a home run.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Alien Blackout is being created with even remotely the same level of zeal. They're not taking a single risk with it. Yes, every one of these films, books, games, etc. is a Fox cash grab through a certain lens, but this game feels merely like a cash grab that isn't trying to transcend anything else happening in the industry. It's falling in line with what's becoming standard, which is a boring, cynical decision. And let's not pretend like this game's profits are going to feed directly into more efforts to make Alien games. It's going to drop into the Disneyfox fund and go wherever they need it, like our tax money in the US.

Isolation deviated from the expected norm, and the fans were rewarded by supporting the experiment. Alien Blackout, if you take 30 seconds to read a couple lines of the Diablo Immortal wikipedia section on its reception, is hitting all the same notes. I mean, it's $5. Maybe I'll buy it, but definitely not until I see some reviews, and I don't have a single objective reason to feel optimistic.   

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
Nah, Alien Isolation's canon.
To most of the public that know it.
And considering that the gaming industry-
is bigger than the film industry, that's lots
of people that recognise Isolation as legitimate.
Especially because it's well-regarded both as a
quality product and for pioneering gaming A.I.
I hope Amanda Ripley never appears in cinemas.

In my ranking of Alien Canon priority it goes;
Films, The Cold Forge, Alien Isolation,
WY Report, David's Drawings,
Other Novels & Comics.

I get that we all like The Cold Forge, and that it's a relevant text in many ways w/r/t both it's quality and the nature of Titan's inclusiveness for hiring a non-binary author, but it's canonical connection to the films is, at best, tenuous. There's a mention of Burke and Van Leuwan.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2019, 03:01:50 PM
KOTOR used to be canon too.

Until it wasn't.

APATHY is DEATH.

The Cold Forge's lack of connections to the films is a strength.
It's highly, highly unlikely to be overridden.

And more Alien stories should divorce themselves
from the events and characters we already know.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 04:20:02 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2019, 03:01:50 PM
KOTOR used to be canon too.

Until it wasn't.

APATHY is DEATH.

The Cold Forge's lack of connections to the films is a strength.
It's highly, highly unlikely to be overridden.

And more Alien stories should divorce themselves
from the events and characters we already know.

Fair, but that makes its connections empty and unsatisfying. There's more of a connection to Aliens in the paratext on the back of the book than within the text itself.

Blackout is likely to feel the same way, even with Amanda Ripley returning from Isolation. I mean, all those characters died in the game, so what's left to provide any continuity? The plot will probably be unsatisfying in that way, or even nonexistent.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't see that as a weakness. For The Cold Forge, that is.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 05:44:45 PM
I don't see that as a weakness. For The Cold Forge, that is.

It's a weakness if it was their goal to create a solid connection, because they failed to achieve that goal. That's probably neither here nor there, because investigating their intent doesn't change the final product sitting in front of us. It's whatever. I think the book is good but I'm not flying off the handle about it. Maybe after a second read. *shrugs*

For Blackout it will probably be a weakness, but I doubt there's a lot of intentional depth behind it.

The Old One

The Old One

Well, the title is A L I E N- The Cold Forge, not Aliens and it feels like it.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 05:52:58 PM

Slapping a franchise title on something doesn't automatically make it good. If the content is less than what came before it, nobody will invest in it.

Look at the Star Wars movies...they are in sharp decline. The merchandise doesn't sell. The books and comics have suffered as well. The games are abysmal because EA/Lucasfilm turned it into gambling with microtransactions through loot boxes for in game powerups/shortcuts to beat other players (Battlefront 2, 2017)The campaign has nothing to offer because it was one thing in advertisement and something else entirely in reality.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 05:52:58 PM

Slapping a franchise title on something doesn't automatically make it good.
If the content is less than what came before it, nobody will invest in it.

Obviously, but that's irrelevant in the case of TCF.

Local Trouble

tutohapili

tutohapili

That was an expensive mistake

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Thanks Trouble, it was good to see Randy again.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 09, 2019, 06:42:02 AM
The official D3 Go! trailer post on YouTube--at this moment in time--is sitting at 620 up-votes, 23,000 down-votes. Pretty hilarious when one of the prominent arguments in support of this game boils down to: "it's fine because it's a business decision that makes financial sense." 

I had not actually watched the Diablo Immortal Q&A/reveal yet. Deliciously awkward. The folks behind Alien Blackout were smart not to put themselves up on a stage when they announced this game.

Actually the ratio is about 2000-1, Blizz took the video down three times previous to attempt to erase most of the down votes, and youtube let them.

A smarter thing to have done would be this is the story of Axel's attempt to help people during the initial shitstorm before he got all FIPTSD, rather than both kicking fans in the balls over broken sequels and mitigating the actual good will they'd garnered from that versus their other offerings over the subsequent time.

But insulation and only listening to those whom evangelize in your favor tends to make you a moron over time.

Local Trouble

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2019, 10:25:59 PM
You know, this doesn't necessarily have to be a mobile exclusive forever.

https://www.destructoid.com/future-plans-for-five-nights-at-freddy-s-include-console-ports-and-a-big-budget-game--530990.phtml

Literally almost nobody is complaining about mobile exclusivity.

Local Trouble

So will you not be buying this?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed