Alien: Blackout Details Announced

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Author
Alien: Blackout Details Announced (Read 49,105 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 09, 2019, 09:11:46 AM
Actually, you looked down your nose and accused people of being entitled snobs.
Yes, in response to people trying to say that nobody would be interested, that this isn't what "we" wanted, etc.

The examples of people actually acting like entitled snobs.

I haven't had anything to say about people saying they were disappointed that it's not the game they hoped for; just how some people have decided to express that.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 09:12:59 AM
"Here's Cold Iron's Alien game, coming when it's ready."
"In the meantime there's this mobile offering."
You're very disingenuously missing out crucial information.

"We're running a cryptic campaign about three Alien Isolation-related media -- something to read, a game to play, and something to watch. The 'Read' is a comic. Now here's Cold Iron's Alien game, a PC/console shooter ... which has nothing to do with all this Isolation stuff we're advertising. Nothing to do with Isolation at all, in fact. Meanwhile, here's the actual Isolation offering. Mobile game. Hope you like it."

If they hadn't pushed the Amanda Ripley/Isolation angle at all, again, I'd concede the point. But as it stands you're really not selling the "avoid a negative reaction by dashing people's hopes twice in fast succession" angle here.

Quote from: SM on Jan 09, 2019, 09:18:35 AM
Are you mixing SiL up with me?
SiL, sir. He's SM.

The Old One

The Old One

"If they hadn't pushed the Amanda Ripley/Isolation angle at all, again, I'd concede the point.
But as it stands you're really not selling the "avoid a negative reaction by dashing people's hopes twice in fast succession" angle here."

So, when you see the reaction to Diablo Immortal.
And you've got an Amanda Ripley Mobile game-
don't make the marketing all about Amanda Ripley-
Or Alien Isolation.

I thought you'd take it for granted that in my hypothetical,
this would be the case- I wasn't being disingenuous.

SiL

SiL

So it's back where it started -- change the entire unified strategy of the three inter-related media components just so that one of them didn't get as much backlash.

I think the benefits the other two pieces will receive are going to end up outweighing the game's poor reaction.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SiL on Jan 09, 2019, 09:45:58 AM
So it's back where it started -
change the entire unified strategy of the three inter-related media components just so that
one of them didn't get as much backlash.

I was always advocating for that, and yes-
I think the initial mistake is centring the marketing campaign,
around a character known from a Triple AAA videogame.

With READ.PLAY.WATCH being a major element-
people are then going to expect a Triple AAA videogame.

Not Alien Blackout. (Mobile Phone Game)

Olde

Olde

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
With READ.PLAY.WATCH being a major element-
people are then going to expect a Triple AAA videogame.

Not Alien Blackout. (Mobile Phone Game)
Maybe they meant for you to be able to do all three at the same time.

Corporal Hicks

At the risk of re-igniting stuff - Alien: Blackout is not an Isolation sequel despite using the same main character

QuoteFox reached out to Game Informer to clarify that "[Blackout] is a standalone game that shares Amanda Ripley as a main character but is not related to or a sequel of Isolation." We've amended the original story's terminology to better reflect the nature of what the game is.

Reads like a lot of "ehh" and nothingness. Of course it's related to Isolation if it's featuring Amanda.

SiL

SiL

"We have no idea, but it's likely this" :D

The Old One

The Old One

"A few hours after revealing Blackout, the official Alien account tweeted that there was "more to come,"
possibly as a response to fans' backlash to Blackout's announcement.
What #ReadPlayWATCH means is anyone's guess at this point but that likely means more games as well,
including hopefully a look at the Aliens shooter that Cold Iron Studios is working on."

Uh...

Hopefully a look at the Aliens shooter that Cold Iron Studios is working on.

Nostromo

Nostromo

How do I get outta this chicken shit outfit?

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
"A few hours after revealing Blackout, the official Alien account tweeted that there was "more to come,"
possibly as a response to fans' backlash to Blackout's announcement.
What #ReadPlayWATCH means is anyone's guess at this point but that likely means more games as well,
including hopefully a look at the Aliens shooter that Cold Iron Studios is working on."

Uh...
https://i.imgur.com/4YlXChN.gif

Hopefully a look at the Aliens shooter that Cold Iron Studios is working on.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SociableBleakAssassinbug-small.gif

Imagine that. They might not have so much contempt for us gamers that they think we're too stupid to receive concurrent news of multiple games not all featuring the same protagonist.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 09, 2019, 11:06:05 AM
At the risk of re-igniting stuff - Alien: Blackout is not an Isolation sequel despite using the same main character

Uh...I couldn't be arsed to play Isolation, but if that was Amanda's first encounter with the alien, how is this not a sequel?

Or has it already been de-canonized out of the gate?

Voodoo Magic

Personally, I have witnessed a lot of the all encompassing "the fans don't want this" commentary in various places, and all I know is they are not speaking for me. I'm personally looking forward to giving this game a whirl, even if the always lovely "you're not a real fan" criticism follows.

I've mentioned before that in my perspective, Alien is a film franchise, and any of its side dishes are not accepted as canon to me (like most of the casual movie going public). Not video games, comics, or novels. But what I do hope comes out of this product, is more goodwill towards Amanda Ripley, enough to convince studios to proceed with her story theatrically, with an adaptation of her alternate media stories.  That's my hope at least, and if this mobile game is received well and very successful financially, it can lead to that.

The Old One

The Old One

Nah, Alien Isolation's canon.
To most of the public that know it.
And considering that the gaming industry-
is bigger than the film industry, that's lots
of people that recognise Isolation as legitimate.
Especially because it's well-regarded both as a
quality product and for pioneering gaming A.I.
I hope Amanda Ripley never appears in cinemas.

In my ranking of Alien Canon priority it goes;
Films, The Cold Forge, Alien Isolation,
WY Report, David's Drawings,
Other Novels & Comics.

Local Trouble

KOTOR used to be canon too.

Until it wasn't.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
Nah, Alien Isolation's canon.
To most of the public that know it.
And considering that the gaming industry-
is bigger than the film industry, that's lots
of people that recognise Isolation as legitimate.
Especially because it's well-regarded both as a
quality product and for pioneering gaming A.I.
I hope Amanda Ripley never appears in cinemas.

In my ranking of Alien Canon priority it goes;
Films, The Cold Forge, Alien Isolation,
WY Report, David's Drawings,
Other Novels & Comics.

I know the gaming industry is bigger than the film industry, but you're comparing industries. And we're not talking Fortnite, God of War or NBA2K19 here. Sega themselves said 'Alien Isolation' sales were "weak". And except for the people who played it, I strongly believe that most of the general public is unaware of it, or not conscious of it until reminded (yeah, I do remember seeing that game on the shelf, now that you mention it). But I digress.

I know to the serious Alien fans, "Alien Isolation" is considered canon like the novels and comics, and I wasn't saying that it's illegitimate. I'm not. All I'm saying is the general movie-going public (non fanatic) won't include video games in canon, and that's the way I look at it too.  That's why I would like to see Amanda's story on the big screen one day. :)

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2019, 03:01:50 PM
KOTOR used to be canon too.

Until it wasn't.

Perfect timing. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed