Jack Palgen to Write the Script

Started by Aspie, Jun 17, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

Author
Jack Palgen to Write the Script (Read 53,762 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Besides, the concept of a protagonist with a talking head is cool as hell and could really inject something new and unique into Alien-related universe, some likeable quirkiness which might be a natural progression from what we've seen of David's character in Prometheus (he was totally different than Ash, Bishop or Call). Of course centering the whole film around it would maybe be too far-fetched so I'd assume he'd get his head back in place at some points. Flashbacks or verbal recollections from the past might also make a perfect sense since David might have questions for Elizabeth and vice versa and since it's just them they'd have a lot of time to talk.

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2013, 06:05:41 AM
Weyland conceived Vickers.
You ruined my perfectly symmetrical story-arch :( But still, something along those lines would make perfect sense. He didn't have what he wanted even if he could conceive. Elizabeth on the other hand no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't conceive (tentacled monster aside). Whim vs physical inability.

I'm a f**king literature nerd, I get my way around such things :D

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I found the religion-versus-science stuff thoroughly... Disinteresting. We don't need a movie to revolve around it. Nor do we need samples of the black ooze to be brought back to our solar system to be examined. Just make sure that the ship/colony, where the story is set, has a decent laboratory.

Not that even this would be necessary. We don't need to see the black ooze ever again. It was a mercurial plot device which didn't really go anywhere. Zombie cavemen don't do much for me, entertainment-wise.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 20, 2013, 06:09:13 AM
Besides, the concept of a protagonist with a talking head is cool as hell

Eh... I've seen it elsewhere ('AI', 'Lexx', 'Empire Strikes Back', etcetera) and I don't see it adding anything fascinating.

maledoro

maledoro

Unless it's David Byrne.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 20, 2013, 09:24:50 PM
I found the religion-versus-science stuff thoroughly... Disinteresting.

Pure Lindelof.

The guy sure as hell knows how to sell a movie, but he sure doesn't know how to write a good one.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: maledoro on Jun 20, 2013, 09:33:55 PM
Unless it's David Byrne.

:applause:  :D

"You might ask yourself, 'why is this man's suit so big?'
And you may think to yourself, 'couldn't it be taken in a little'?"  ;)

SM

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 20, 2013, 09:24:50 PM
I found the religion-versus-science stuff thoroughly... Disinteresting. We don't need a movie to revolve around it. Nor do we need samples of the black ooze to be brought back to our solar system to be examined. Just make sure that the ship/colony, where the story is set, has a decent laboratory.

Not that even this would be necessary. We don't need to see the black ooze ever again. It was a mercurial plot device which didn't really go anywhere. Zombie cavemen don't do much for me, entertainment-wise.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 20, 2013, 06:09:13 AM
Besides, the concept of a protagonist with a talking head is cool as hell

Eh... I've seen it elsewhere ('AI', 'Lexx', 'Empire Strikes Back', etcetera) and I don't see it adding anything fascinating.

And I've seen it in Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, a movie that would your fvckin head off. But the head wasn't alive.

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2013, 11:18:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcnudXLN2g#ws

Perfect pun, "you're just a talking head" and then there was a Talking Heads poster shown hanging on the wall :D

And what I meant in religion vs science thread is that the plot needs some friction, something to capitalize on Elizabeth's characteristics, many things were touched in Prometheus, just not explored. The movie MUST contain friction, David contained a lot of elements that caused frictions but there wasn't enough of that in characters around him. The franchise needs some underlying characteristics to add to its continuity or else it will become less and less meaningful with every subsequent iteration. The character of Weyland wasn't fully developed and it was a huge missed opportunity, the only way to fix it is to do it the way I suggested. The clash of religion and science was never meant by me to be a focal point and something presented in a straightforward way, but rather something blurred yet tangible, like morality in William Friedkin's movies (i.e. there are no clear-cut heroes and no clear-cut villains).

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 21, 2013, 04:04:40 AMAnd what I meant in religion vs science thread is that the plot needs some friction

Prometheus pretty much put an end to any religion vs. science debate: Theists are dead wrong; Scientists just need more samples.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

I gave up with the "well who created them?"  Line, it represents completely the whole arrogant, religious argument.  My God has been disproven, but wait who created the people who created us.... surely it must be God?!  He's so mysterious and beardy!

Get off my movie screen

SM

SM

Yay for unimaginative and narrow audiences...

Gash

Gash

I didn't see anything in Prometheus advocating the wisdom of belief/faith. Quite the opposite.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Gash on Jun 22, 2013, 12:06:55 AM
I didn't see anything in Prometheus advocating the wisdom of belief/faith. Quite the opposite.

Makes it hard to care about Shaw's character though. Her "I believe because it's what I chose" is so cringy.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 22, 2013, 12:16:15 AM

Makes it hard to care about Shaw's character though. Her "I believe because it's what I chose" is so cringy.

Shaw completely encapsulated that notion, that's why I hated her character for the majority of the movie, she met her maker, which pretty much disproved her faith and yet still hung on to that "God still might exist because..." attitude.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jun 22, 2013, 12:20:28 AM
Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 22, 2013, 12:16:15 AM

Shaw completely encapsulated that notion, that's why I hated her character for the majority of the movie, she met her maker, which pretty much disproved her faith and yet still hung on to that "God still might exist because..." attitude.
Isn't that how most people behave though? Adversity can often lead to strengthening religious beliefs.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm hoping this will get made, but I can't count on it yet. Fox has been known to put their sequels on hold before like with Predators 2 for example.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed