The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 449,584 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Basic competence is a start.

Voodoo Magic

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Old One on May 16, 2019, 06:05:20 PM
Basic competence is a start.

Logical solutions to character arcs always helps

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 16, 2019, 05:53:22 PM
Spoiler
My issue isn't that Dany turned mad, my issue is how the show handled her turning mad.
[close]

Spoiler
Understood, and I've already stated here I agree Dany becoming a murdering mad queen could have used a little more build up.
[close]

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 16, 2019, 05:53:22 PM
Spoiler
Yes and no.  There weren't any real concrete signs that she would, there were subtle hints, but not signs, not any red flags. 
[close]

Spoiler
Uh no, I proposed this same question over at MoFo forums, so far they haven't been shy at all in listing the signs. They haven't been shy at all stating they have been expecting for some time now for Dany to go nuts because of the in-film signs.

So I'll just let the MoFos handle this question. I'm not suggesting AVPG members are incapable, I think I'm just asking the wrong ones. Perhaps they don't want to be seen as saying anything remotely positive about a show that went south in the writing arena.

Never once between all this back and forth have I said it's good writing. I think the writers deserve all the criticism they are getting. However the MoFos have taken over this question, but thanks to you also for your input.
[close]

Local Trouble

MoFos?

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 08:25:06 PM
MoFos?
That's what they call themselves over at movieforums.com. MOvie....FOrum....Mofo's

Local Trouble

Ah.  Is their consensus the final word on the subject?

LastSonofKrypton

Spoiler
Away from Dany.  Personally I would have liked to have seen Theon be the one to kill the Night King.  Jon would have fought him but the Night King would prove too much, Theon realising that he would have to get in close, knowing that he would most likely die for his efforts, and when distracted by Jon, Theon could have rushed him and similar to how he turned on Arya done the same to Theon, only stabbing him with his blade but Theon manages to stab him in the process.  It would have been a nice end for Theon, having betrayed Robb, Bran, Rickon and Jon, by taking Winterfell from them, now he ends up giving his life to save them. His pointless charge kind of soured a really nice moment with Bran, him dying but taking out the Night King could have worked.

But that's just me.

I also liked Arya's final scene with the Hound.  The Hound knows what a life of hate and revenge brings, and he shows that he really cares about Arya, talking her out of killing Cersei, knowing that she will die in the process.  I think he saved her soul just as much as her life, because once she killed Cersei, what would be her purpose?

I just wish they built it up a little better beforehand, their scenes together felt a little awkward, considering how well they built their relationship on the road to the Vale
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 08:37:59 PM
Ah.  Is their consensus the final word on the subject?

Huh? I don't think anyone could claim final word on the subject. GRR Martin perhaps?

kwisatz

kwisatz

Lel, just watched Ep5 and i don't get the fuss honestly.

This is a freakin fantasy entertainment show from the getgo and not Crime and Punishment. They inserted a halfassed twist with not much of a psychological foundation - welcome to televised fiction thats construed to be watched by more than three people.

Are they guilty of distorting the literary source? I dont know cause i havnt read it, but i doubt the guy was aiming at becoming the next Proust with a story about dragons and penises --

Arya has a new list.

Spoiler
edit:

And to to all the build up/seed/A to D argumentation: She snaps in the heat of battle after a series of negative events experienced at short intervals. Thats what snapping is. Plus she has some type of hereditary predisposition(?) Plus were in a freakin fantasy environment. Hell in that moment she might even share minds with that killermachine shes riding, otherwise i wouldnt know how shes controlling that thing anyway. I think thats all the kitchen psychology/fanatasy setting motivation i need on this level --
[close]

Voodoo Magic

I'm tempted to make fuss over the fuss about the fuss.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I'm loving the final season even if it isn't completely perfect. Given the length of time left to bring the series to a close, I'd say they've done a great job bringing closure to the many story arcs. I do think they could have used 8 extended episodes this season to better flesh it all out but, on the other hand, we've had 7 seasons of character development and buildup, so I'm frankly ready to see the payoff and am okay with the rapid pace.

Probably another unpopular opinion of mine but:

Spoiler

I think Dany's mental breakdown happens appropriately. It seems sudden to us but there is a good amount of time that has lapsed between the end of Episode 4 and Episode 5. It's enough time for someone to stew in such negative and intense emotions and feelings of loneliness. The stakes are higher than ever before and she has faced the most setbacks this season (many that occur when she tries to rule with compassion) including the revelation that someone else has claim to the throne by birthright.

Something that I think a lot of fans missed in the beginning of Episode 5 was that Varys was trying to have Dany poisoned and at that point she didn't even do anything detrimental. The way she sees it, if someone she had previously entrusted turned on her, what's to stop the north or all of Kings Landing from doing the same? She made her decision the night before the attack that she was going to burn the place down, because she had a message to send. She was probably more angry that they even rang the bells to make her decision look even worse. Or at least that's how I interpreted that moment.
[close]

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: kwisatz on May 17, 2019, 01:23:16 AM
Lel, just watched Ep5 and i don't get the fuss honestly.

This is a freakin fantasy entertainment show from the getgo and not Crime and Punishment. They inserted a halfassed twist with not much of a psychological foundation - welcome to televised fiction thats construed to be watched by more than three people.

Are they guilty of distorting the literary source? I dont know cause i havnt read it, but i doubt the guy was aiming at becoming the next Proust with a story about dragons and penises --

Arya has a new list.

Spoiler
edit:

And to to all the build up/seed/A to D argumentation: She snaps in the heat of battle after a series of negative events experienced at short intervals. Thats what snapping is. Plus she has some type of hereditary predisposition(?) Plus were in a freakin fantasy environment. Hell in that moment she might even share minds with that killermachine shes riding, otherwise i wouldnt know how shes controlling that thing anyway. I think thats all the kitchen psychology/fanatasy setting motivation i need on this level --
[close]

Glad it worked for you.

Don't get why it not beeing Proust or Dostojewski or having fantasy elements automatically absolves from anything though.

On another note, did we ever get to know who serves on Cersei's Queensguard? Besides Gregor. Don't think we had, but maybe I missed it.

Highland

Highland

I guess it just shows you that when Luke Snapped, people did actually think that was possible and now she's snapped and people do actually think that its possible.

It's a social experiment by aliens and the dudes posting in here are Russians. Only explanation.

The Old One

The Old One

"Story contains X you treat it seriously?"

Is the worst argument there has ever been, and seems to be getting more and more common to defend abysmal writing and the universe's own logic disappearing down the drain for drama.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed