The Neomorphs

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 21, 2016, 09:27:05 AM

Author
The Neomorphs (Read 88,420 times)

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 27, 2016, 08:24:07 AM
Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 27, 2016, 05:45:17 AMHorror films aren't scary because of their props but because of how they devise themselves. Alien was not scary because of the Alien but how nerve-racking the whole thing was.

Alien was a great film because this was understood and every element was being utilized at a sophisticated level.

Aliens understood this, Alien 3 understood this and yes even Prometheus understood this.

Prometheus wasn't scary in the least.
Understandable, I merely was attributing that to the technique and not the overall impact. Unless you felt that it was not the case and if so could you elaborate?

Infected

Infected

Quote from: CainsSon on Oct 27, 2016, 04:34:47 AM
Quote from: Sgt.Jackrus on Oct 26, 2016, 07:20:41 PM
Quote from: Infected on Oct 26, 2016, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Oct 25, 2016, 05:43:14 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 25, 2016, 04:38:12 AM
Quote from: Infected on Oct 24, 2016, 09:04:04 PM
There is no way in any presentation that you can make the xeno scary in this form at this moment,
we all have seen it way to much, it isnt a mystery anymore nor is he undefined anymore,
the AVP movies have a part in that and Alien:R and Aliens also a little, i loved Aliens but it took away every aspect of horror away from the creature/thing.
Yeah, that's all bullshit. Familiarity with the look or actions isn't what makes a thing scary. People use that as an excuse to be f**king lazy with their storytelling, or justify bullshit new creatures to keep things "fresh".

Anything can be scary if handled competently.

Familiarity with sharks doesn't stop 'Jaws' from being scary.  Spielberg made a masterful thriller by tapping into peoples' fears with that one.  Kept people off the beaches, too, for that matter.  Mind you, since then, most movies featuring sharks lack the power of that Classic.  Mind you, that's not due to familiarity, that's got a lot more to do with the power of the content not being understood. 

If anything, it's familiarity with the Alien that made 'ALIEN: Isolation' the edgy game it was.  Being versed in all the lore surrounding the game sure aided in appreciating it's goals.

-Windebieste.
It was scary back then yes i agree, but now a Jaws wont be scary ever again no matter how you throw it at the audience.
Same with the xeno, back then it was scary and in space and a creature that stalked, but after Aliens and the rest of the movies the xeno didnt become scary it became a defined creature, fighting with predators etc made it just a silly creature,
wich had a lot of help of the stupidity of humans, breaking it down it isnt scary enough anymore, we know what it can do and we know how it works.
When i look at Michael Myers from Halloween, he had some shitty movies, but he kept his identity, and his concept still can work,
done by a good writer, he is still undefined.
But if im reading the comments around here Ridley has got a big job to do, because i think a lot of fanboys wont give him the credit he deserves even if he will bring us a big good Alien movie and introducing the new xeno's,
some just wanna stick and believe in that old concept that is gone as dust.

And the Force Awakens sucks come on!!!!

Thats why most people think the first movie is the best.

I dont think that the only thing scary about Alien is the alien. Space is scary in Alien. Being awoken in this vast emptiness against you will at the mercy of a contract all of these things are scary in Alien. This type of stuff is continued in ALIENS but is missing from the other films. When it IS present, the filmmakers didnt think to play it up right. For instance, in ALIEN 3 - the fact that the company is on the way and may kill the prisoners could have been introduced earlier in the film to ramp up suspense...

All the emphasis placed on seeing the monster was certainly a factor, but it is far from the only thing about Alien that was scary. It was this whole no way out everywhere they turned that worked for it and the film knew how to consistently ramp that up.
Yes the industrial feel, the things they have to do to land on the rock where the derelict is,
makes it all more scary.
But to me personal if there was a xeno i wouldnt be mindless afraid, if there was somekind of other undefined creature around or intelligent being i would be more scared and panicky.
Its at the moment impossible to make a scary Jaws movie nor is it impossible to make alien scary with the standard xenomorph,
no matter who directs it or writes the movie, you have to bring new cards to the table.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 27, 2016, 08:51:51 AMUnderstandable, I merely was attributing that to the technique and not the overall impact. Unless you felt that it was not the case and if so could you elaborate?

Well I'd probably argue there was a lot in Prometheus that wan't sophisticated at all. Like the terribly weak aspects of the script.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Yeah total mixed bag lol I don't want to find uncooked eggplant in my bag of delicious candy delights.

stroggificated

stroggificated

I'm just stopping by to see if anything has happened. All i feel is total indifference.

A movie about a creature who will look different to the Xenomorph, but in the movie's title there will be "Alien" in it. To be honest, i don't care. It's like Prometheus all again.

Well, tonight i will watch the movie "Stranded" with Christian Slater which sounds very similar to Alien. Alien Covenant is on the same level for me like Stranded or Prometheus. Just another sci fi horror movie with an hostile alien. Not "OUR" Alien.

It's like they would drastically change the Predator's design in the next movie just to make something different. The only predatorish on the movie would just be the title. It could be a Hirogen now as well. It's not "OUR" Predator anymore.

still waiting for a REAL Alien movie.  :(

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: stroggificated on Oct 27, 2016, 03:01:35 PM
A movie about a creature who will look different to the Xenomorph, but in the movie's title there will be "Alien" in it. To be honest, i don't care. It's like Prometheus all again.

There are traditional Aliens in it. There's just a brand new variation to go alongside them.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Personally, even with the issues prometheus had I greatly prefer this new direction to another AvP or another shabby alien movie like resurrection.

The series was going nowhere and had lost a lot of credibility, at least now we have a real effort to try something new with real talent behind the camera again.

Besides the original alien is suppose to be in this film as well.

LiquidMonster

LiquidMonster

Well, if that's the case then I hope the new design is actually the Alien design from the Covenant clapboard:

I'd love to see this design BADLY! It would explain nicely how the "Neomorphs" first had eye socket type areas on their skull and the evolution of it into our favorite Xeno in Alien. I'm probably in the minority but I hope they stay FAR AWAY from the Deacon design. It was an un-inspired, lazy, poorly executed, non-scary design.

stroggificated

stroggificated

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 27, 2016, 03:03:34 PM
There are traditional Aliens in it. There's just a brand new variation to go alongside them.

These traditional aliens aren't going to be the same like the Deacon from Prometheus? That's what i think that happens if Ridley Scott himself said this.  :-\

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 27, 2016, 03:15:03 PM
Personally, even with the issues prometheus had I greatly prefer this new direction to another AvP or another shabby alien movie like resurrection.

The series was going nowhere and had lost a lot of credibility, at least now we have a real effort to try something new with real talent behind the camera again.

On the other hand i'm relieved that Ridley Scott's movie series prevents Neill Blomkamp's real Alien movie, because it sounds to me like another Alien Resurrection. Not to forget all this stuff about erasing Alien3.....
You can't win as an Alien fan apparently. :D

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

I just want to go on record to say I think the info on the Neomorph creatures sounds great. I'm personally really looking forward to seeing them on screen. And with the news that the classic alien designs are also making a triumphant return to the silver screen I think we are in for a real proper epic Alien feast from one of the most visionary director's of our time, and one of the driving forces behind the original 79 film's success and longevity. I think we are in for a real treat.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

This then could quite possibly be the Neomorph's hand we're looking at here:

Quote from: stroggificated on Oct 27, 2016, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 27, 2016, 03:03:34 PM

These traditional aliens aren't going to be the same like the Deacon from Prometheus? That's what i think that happens if Ridley Scott himself said this.  :-\

This is what Scott said:

Quote from: Ridley Scott"There was always this discussion: Is Alien, the character, the beast, played out or not? We'll have them all: egg, face-hugger, chest-burster, then the big chap. I think maybe we can go another round or two."

Quote from: stroggificated on Oct 27, 2016, 03:39:11 PM
On the other hand i'm relieved that Ridley Scott's movie series prevents Neill Blomkamp's real Alien movie, because it sounds to me like another Alien Resurrection.

delayed.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 27, 2016, 11:00:52 AM
Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 27, 2016, 08:51:51 AMUnderstandable, I merely was attributing that to the technique and not the overall impact. Unless you felt that it was not the case and if so could you elaborate?

Well I'd probably argue there was a lot in Prometheus that wan't sophisticated at all. Like the terribly weak aspects of the script.
I only called Alien sophisticated though. I personally felt that on a technical standpoint it did well. Script and pacing was another thing however.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Oh I agree, from a technical standpoint it was excellent. It's a shame the story and characters didn't even come close to matching up.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 27, 2016, 05:18:32 PM
Oh I agree, from a technical standpoint it was excellent. It's a shame the story and characters didn't even come close to matching up.
Well, from the looks of it, it sounds like they are making a fresh start with Covenant. The Neomorph idea gives me the impression that it will be another rundown of questions with no answers and I really hope they don't use the whole "because of the black goo" all over again.

Kurai

Kurai

Hicks, since you're our "in-man", do you happen to know whether Scott has a scientific advisor on Covenant like he had with the Martian? Prometheus suffered a lot because of "bad science" and foolish scientists but then Scott goes on to make the Martian which was pretty much hard sci-fi with a coat of cinematic fantasy to keep the plot flowing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed