Fan Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 23, 2021, 08:40:59 AM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 15,757 times)

newbeing

newbeing

I had my doubts about this game, but the more I play the game, the more I like it. I haven't finished the game yet (have 3 of the 4 campaigns completed on standard), but I feel like it's a solid 8/10 for me.

Knowing that I couldn't just plow through the campaign (on standard difficulty) is what made it finally click for me. It's about building up your combat rating before tackling the later missions, which is kind of a clever way to get people replaying the previous missions and in turn keeping the multiplayer aspect alive. Going back leveled up and replaying missions is a blast as you clean house and help out lower level players.

I can definitely see how the game could get a lower score if someone is just trying to get through it as fast as they can, especially on singleplayer. I will fault the game for not emphasizing the importance of the Combat Rating mechanic more.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

If i gave this game 10/10 and minus a point for unpolished mood elements, I would say this:
minus 1 point for your customizable characters not having enough verbage or a chat wheel (the emotes are cool but to give it a percentage of usage per game i would not even think about doing it that often because it interferes with the pace and you rarely see them doing it you're running)  - I do think that chat wheels can get spammy and detract from the mood too.
minus 1 point for Lost Potential in setting the mood per mission in each campaign- i would have liked to see a slightly more dramatic opening to each campaign or per mission in each campaign to give it some personality.

But the Hidden Potential for them to add creative updates are remarkably huge considering that most devs(including this one) for online games get frequent content updates.
So thats a +3 points in my book.

By adding the Empty Husks, and other pathegens I feel like they are ready and willing to add new original content in line with the newer films. I'm all for this!

I WANT To see a horrific insergence of engineers.
I WANT to see more of the planet's details.
I WANT to believe there are other planets or moons to be alluded to and possibliy given a mission on to find juggernauts either infested or missions to explore the terrain and ships.
That said, I also feel there NEEDS to be some homage to what HRGiger's work represents and some elements that build this concept. Not saying they should just add a painting inspired by Giger's work, but add an element to the story designed to allude to his concepts. I want people to still figure out what the word "Necronomicon" means. I want people to scratch their heads on what that means  in the Ridley-verse.
In addition:
I WANT to see the eggs to be transparent as they were in the original film. They also explode ingame like they are made out of paper. I want to see some REAL evolution of the eggs to be a very very odd biological thing.Yeah i know, we can't make them deform where we shoot it, so  maybe make a really messy organic mess that looks like aloe mixed with chicken meat. Right now, its been exploding the same way its been since 1999 AVP!!!!

I WANT to visit this Pala Station, the research facility on the planet surface of LV-895.It's the one last place that has been the suspect of alien activity on the planet as this site has indicated : https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Pala_Station.

Otherwise, this game is f**king perfect and visually polished. The mix of aliens is palatable. They are sometimes easy and at time difficult.
Their ragdoll physics is at times funny. Not all the time. But sometimes there are moments that make me chuckle. I think that rare moment is enough (you dont need it like the way it is in RDR2 or PHG). Due to the serious tone of the game it doesn't need those funny rag doll moments at all. I don't think we will be seeing a montage of footage showing rag doll aliens either. They are just too rare as apposed to the latter.

Im also not opposed to the lack of lip sync in the story based elements either like some video reviews have pointed out. To me they made it a point not to include it. That only means that -globabally, it was unnessary- or that since there is text on the screen it made it a moot point. It doesn't bother me because I read the text. In games like Horizon Zero Dawn (which the camera literally is identically in the interaction scenes), they went out of their way to render all it. Im guessing they used an algorithm to match text to phonemes. So here, there was none of it which means they could just easily add that at anytime in the future and remove the text (its just preference at this point).

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

I've been playing this with my husband over the last few days, and even though I went in with low expectations (we thoroughly despise the new "lore"), the story problems can be easily ignored, because this is legitimately fun to play.

Or was.

The first campaign was fun up until the dropship sequence. We're playing on Casual, which, in theory, should be the easiest difficulty. Casual should not be throwing Warriors at you faster than you can kill them. It took us three replays to accomplish that mission, which is unacceptable for the easiest difficulty.

The third mission for the second campaign is rife with bullshit. The androids shouldn't be harder to kill than Xenomorphs. On Casual, it shouldn't be taking us three or more tries to complete a mission. This felt like a much higher difficulty than it should have been, and it made the game frustrating, stressful, and the fun was rapidly sucked out of it.

The game feels unbalanced and overly-difficult to complete, when it should be possible to complete even with one person, especially on the easier difficulties. Yes, having more players helps, but just because this game can be played in multiplayer doesn't mean it should HAVE to be multiplayer. If that's how it was meant to be, then singleplayer shouldn't even be an option. And it shouldn't take multiple attempts to beat a single mission on such a low difficulty, and players shouldn't be forced to replay missions just to level up and get enough attachments and perks to advance further in the story, which does feel necessary at times. Yes, people have completed the game on Standard, but most of them probably had a full three human players and/or had to replay various missions multiple times. That shouldn't be necessary for anything less than the hardest one or two difficulties at the most. The other thing is that maybe some people have beaten the game simply because they play so many games in general that they're just good at most games, but that's still in indicator of a major balance issue. It should be possible for someone who's not a "serious" or "professional" gamer to beat a game like this reasonably easily on such a low difficulty.

I also have serious doubts about claims that people have completed this on Extreme or Insane. I have no clue how it's been on consoles, but this is the global achievement page for Steam as of when I considered writing my review in the below attachment.

Either Steam is wrong, or people are lying to impress others. Regardless, the difficulty balance needs a lot of work.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Have you been leveling up your classes, equipping perks, modding your weapons and using consumables?
Also, the Warriors in the third mission can be ignored since when the 4 spawns you can just escape, I've been playing on standard and intense, both solo and with friends, and frankly I've been having a good time

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I get this game on standard requires all your classes to be there "full stop". You can't win with everyone trying Gunner and leveling that up all the way through. You need a guy witha  grenade luancher, and another guy with other gear like a sentry gun or other such hand held explosives.Full Stop. No doubt you can't finish 10 waves of Hordes without grenaders (at least two-thats a hint for you). This is all on the standard difficulty.

QuoteCasual should not be throwing Warriors at you faster than you can kill them. It took us three replays to accomplish that mission, which is unacceptable for the easiest difficulty.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 01, 2021, 09:03:31 PM
Yes, having more players helps, but just because this game can be played in multiplayer doesn't mean it should HAVE to be multiplayer. If that's how it was meant to be, then singleplayer shouldn't even be an option.

I think this is a fair criticism.

QuoteAnd it shouldn't take multiple attempts to beat a single mission on such a low difficulty, and players shouldn't be forced to replay missions just to level up and get enough attachments and perks to advance further in the story, which does feel necessary at times.

Yeah, the 'replay value of the replay' as I like to refer it as, is definitely going to wear on some people. Even the lowest difficulty is surprisingly difficult for it's type. But I think it's per design. Cold Iron needs you to repeat content for this game to last long enough to be a fulfilling experience. It's all comes down to your internal make-up on how this will grate on you.

Even once complete, some of my friends are the type of people that have the need to max out every class, every weapon - repeating missions as long as it takes. They need to 100% a game - it's an itch that needs to be scratched. Me, not so much. I just want to win it. After winning I unlocked a 5th class (soon there will be 6) and I can feel I won't have the drive to max level all of the classes. Maybe 2 or 3. The repetitive nature will just be too much of a yawn I think to max level them all. So I guess I personally land somewhere in the middle. :)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

What new lore exists to take issue with?

(Considering the type of gameplay involved I was not under the impression that there was any.)

Kailem

Kailem

There's a ton of new lore in the game. Too much in some instances, as I'm 99.9% sure a couple of the collectible intel pieces spoil the ending and several key details of the Colonial Marines Operations Manual RPG campaign that I've still yet to play (Andrew Gaska was consulted on this too).

Every weapon has lore attached and every level as three collectible pieces of lore-related stuff to find, plus the between-mission briefings you get from the various characters. I can easily see a lot of this stuff making its way into the RPG officially in a few years if they keep publishing it and moving the timeline forward for that long.

Personally I loved it, especially after playing the RPG and reading through all the great stuff they've done there to create a really cohesive "Alien universe".

Quote from: acrediblesource on Sep 01, 2021, 09:15:54 PM
I get this game on standard requires all your classes to be there "full stop". You can't win with everyone trying Gunner and levelling that up all the way through. You need a guy witha  grenade luancher, and another guy with other gear like a sentry gun or other such hand held explosives.Full Stop. No doubt you can't finish 10 waves of Hordes without grenaders (at least two-thats a hint for you). This is all on the standard difficulty.

QuoteCasual should not be throwing Warriors at you faster than you can kill them. It took us three replays to accomplish that mission, which is unacceptable for the easiest difficulty.

I've finished 10 waves of Horde on standard multiple times and nobody has ever been using a grenade launcher. There are certainly some classes that seem to be better than others, but I'd say either your characters must not be levelled up or you're been playing with some bad teammates if you're finding it impossible to even get to that point.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Okay but I'm struggling to discern what could be so controversial to cause the Sailing couple to hate it so?

(That doesn't already exist via the recent books and RPG.)

Kailem

Kailem

Me either. I thought all the lore stuff in the game was great.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I just assumed Sailing just dislikes the prequel lore in general.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The game is pure EU cheese when it comes to lore.  As someone able to look fondly on the old eu, it doesn't bother me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

How so?

426Buddy

426Buddy

It's much more the new EU from the RPG imo.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Exactly my point and that's not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed