Aliens: Bug Hunt (Co-Op Dice Game From Upper Deck)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 29, 2020, 07:58:37 AM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt (Co-Op Dice Game From Upper Deck) (Read 8,233 times)

Corporal Hicks

Seen on a couple of retailer websites, but doesn't look like Upper Deck has actually announced anything. Has been around since March, I think, but not really talked about.

QuoteOne thing is for sure, they are coming and they'll keep coming — complete the mission and evacuate the complex, because these Xenomorphs converging from every direction are heartless, smart, relentless and hungry. Every role is critical as players rely on each other to cover their six and make it out alive. Private Hudson might ask if this is a stand up fight or just another bug hunt; the real question is who's hunting who? This is Aliens: Bug Hunt!

Features

Player as your favorite characters from the popular movie Aliens!
    Action-packed, Co-Op die rolling combat game for 1 to 4 players
    Each character has its own unique ability, enhancing their fighting characteristics.
    Players must work together with other players to fight the terrifying Xenomorphs!
    Battle the Xenomorphs in the infested complex which is made up of 30 different location tiles.
    30 custom dice are included
    Custom trays within the box for easy set up and tear down!
    The rules are covered by 4 full color player dossiers making the game easy to learn and getting the players into the action quickly!

Get together to spend time playing some fun board game! Whether you like family board games, strategy games, deck building games or you go for classic games, Foundry Game Room has all of them for you in one place. Select the best board game from our collection, find your favorite one and discover more new board games. Check out our list here and roll a dice on a new game to play!

https://www.foundrygameroom.com/products/aliens-bug-hunt-board-game

Machiko Naguchi

Looks amazing! I am in for sure since games, books and trading cards are my main interest in AvP collecting  ;D

Corporal Hicks

I've pre-ordered it, but honestly not really sure what to expect. Upper Deck does make some use out of the license, but I wish they'd do a better job of marketing and distributing their stuff.

SiL

I saw this for pre-order and confused it for Glorious Day in the Corp. I'll have another look now.

Machiko Naguchi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2020, 06:23:19 PM
I've pre-ordered it, but honestly not really sure what to expect. Upper Deck does make some use out of the license, but I wish they'd do a better job of marketing and distributing their stuff.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Compared to most of the life of the A & P series, the last five years have had a ton of stuff as far as games and trading cards if you think about it. There has been the Legendary Encounters game/expansion, the VS game, CLUE, Yahtzee, the Prodos Minis game, the Alien RPG, the Glorious Day in the Corps game, this dice game, and several trading card sets. While not all are from Upper Deck, it seems most of them could have been handled better as far as marketing and distribution. But at least there is a lot of new and varied content so I guess we will just have to deal with the frustrations  ::)

Machiko Naguchi

Here is a video from the recent Gen Con online that is posted over at BoardGameGeek site: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/279498/aliens-bug-hunt/aliens-bug-hunt-game-preview-gen-con-online-2020

It shows a little bit of gameplay and some commentary from a few guys at Upper Deck. Looks like it could be an interesting take on the franchise. A little bit of simpler/shorter type of tabletop style than the Prodos minis game which would be better for me and my players  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Finding out about my copy tomorrow.

Corporal Hicks

Machiko Naguchi

Machiko Naguchi

I finally opened my copy and got to play it the other day after having to wait for a couple weeks. After just one playthrough I would give it a pretty good rating. It is a tile placing game that has some dice rolling and definitely a lot of strategy as far as your decision making. You can choose where you want to go and whether you want to discover new tiles, shoot xenos or try to complete objectives. It is fairly simple as far as rules and combat as you just roll the dice to see what happens. The turn system is interesting as you have a deck with cards for each player and the hive and just flip them over to see whose turn it is. Thus you can have one player go several times in a row or not go for awhile depending on the draw. It can hurt you pretty bad if the xenos go several times in a row.

Each player actually controls a squad of three members and they all move as one on the board. The three characters just give you more abilities and power when doing actions. You get to have one named character from the movie and then two generic grunts. The named character has a special ability and the grunts just provide firepower and defense. I think it works well as it gives you some options for each turn. The overall objective is to find all of your mission tokens and then get back to the APC to escape. But obviously the xenos and barricades are slowing you down during your exploration. But any mission tokens you find can go towards giving you some special abilities that will help you.

Overall I would definitely recommend it for anyone who likes Aliens and/or light to medium strategy games. There is a little bit of luck based on dice rolls and turn phase draws, but you definitely feel like most of the outcome is up to your decision making and strategy. I also liked it because it is a little bit different from most of the games I have so far. They are mostly card/deck building games and this gives some board/tile exploration gameplay where you can move little figures around an environment. I like that it gives some of that aspect without going as far as the tabletop minis game that are more complex, longer and heavy on strategy/decisions. It gives the perfect amount of the style for me without going too far. And there are plenty of references to Aliens from the characters, quotes and scenery on the tiles, so there is definitely a lot of flavor  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Glad to hear it went down well with you! Still no sign of it on my side of the pond yet.  :'( Gonna give up and ask RidgeTop to buy it and ship it across to me soon.

Machiko Naguchi

Just had a chance to play another game, this time with four people. And I would say it is even better this way since you can have two squads stick together on different parts of the complex. With only two players you can get as much exploration done if you are sticking together, but then you can get pinned down by xenos if you are spread apart. With four you can explore and get objectives while still having support to help you move and shoot.

We ended up winning but like the Legendary Encounters game things can get chaotic pretty quickly. We were doing fairly well most of the game and actually got all the objectives picked up and didn't have any xenos on the board. But on our way to escape the complex the shit hit the fan and we ended up getting out just one turn before losing the game due to being overrun. So it went downhill pretty fast, but having multiple squads definitely help out once I convinced the others to do a tactical retreat as opposed to having everyone try to flee towards the exit  ;D

Definitely would still recommend this game highly as a cheaper, quicker and slightly simpler alternative to some of the others.

Corporal Hicks

Finally found a copy in the UK and just snagged it today. Should be here sometime next week.  ;D

Machiko Naguchi

Great  :D  Let me know what you think when you get a chance to play it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed