The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Author
The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread (Read 134,614 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 04, 2021, 10:25:40 PM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 04, 2021, 02:54:30 PM
Was Illfonic in charge of the reshoot cause everything I hear about what could've been sounds way more interesting.
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 04, 2021, 03:53:00 PM
Ouch!  You really think all of Predator Hunting Grounds lore work is worse than The Predator script?

It's very safe as far as Predator plots go. Guys drop into jungle, fight bad guys, Predator shows up. The entire setup is basically the original film without the character interactions and all the intriguing bits happening off screen. Cleopatra? Offscreen, Predator Killer and hybrid weaponry tests? Offscreen. Dutch's adventures? Offscreen. Even with the raids on Stargazer headquarters to figure out what they're doing out in the jungle is off screen and we're literally going to a few of these bases. The logs are alright but the more interesting adventures and concepts are not happening with the player's group. And even then the stuff we have to do is all business. Our role in the story begins and ends at the mission.

Now they aren't writers and ran out of time. And that's the problem. It's setup is too safe and the player has nothing to work with. They never addressed that. Our Predator and FT don't have anything to do besides the gameplay loop. All our characters say roughly the same thing and don't interact beyond that. The logs are alright for lore enthusiasts but that's not the plot of the game given we don't interact with any of that. Flavor text is not plot. The thing is that I can't say.., walk into the nearest encampment, shoot my friends, consume their bodies for nourishment, and then join Stargazer. This isn't Skyrim, our characters and objectives are pre-determined meaning that while I can customize them to my hearts content, they're characters who exist within the universe. The fates are left up to the player, but I can't get 87 Dutch killed and it have an impact on the universe.

I say all this that I do think it's a better plot because our heroes are participating in these important events. They aren't secondary to Dutch, or Keyes, or the OWLF. The plot stinks, but you can tell the plot of The Predator, you can tell them what McKenna or Traeger did in that movie. We know who Doctor Brackett is but I can't tell you thing one about who the drug lords in Val Verde are. I don't know who the Derailed traitor is. I don't know Dante so beyond having a body on the team I know as much as the flavor text says. We don't even know what Cleopatra looks like.

Cleopatra has been hinted as an upcoming DLC, very likely this months. But, to the point...

I was talking the  wonderfully conceived lore work recordings voiced by Schwarzenegger and Busey.  But you're talking gameplay plot? I think you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Predator Hunting Grounds is not a linear game. It's not. It's an online service asymmetrical action game designed to recapture the feel of 1987's Predator... the Predator versus armed commandos, over and over again, in brief action-packed matches.

I really love that in the lore tapes Illfonic course-corrected Stargazer to going rogue and black-market, subsequently resurrecting OWLF versus Stargazer with the latter being involved in all sorts of nefarious activities to fund their evil organization. But the individual "plot" of the random in-game mini tasks against Stargazer are inconsequential, more mechanism to the match experience. Predator: Hunting Grounds does not proceed in a linear fashion with story elements you progress through.

Predator: Concrete Jungle on the other hand? Have at it. That is a linear game with a plot you can fairly compare The Predator to.

ace3g

Kradan

Cool

brokentusk420

Quote from: SiL on Aug 04, 2021, 08:20:34 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 04, 2021, 02:41:19 PM
The autism chasing actually makes sense in the context of the film as the upgrade Pred really doesn't rely nor use much technology so it and his clan likely prefer to upgrade their biology as opposed to upgrading their technology (ie armor skin and thermal vision). Rory figured out Predator tech and language in the span of an afternoon which would probably look like a pretty appealing biological upgrade to that clan. Hence the autism chasing.
It only 'makes sense' because Rory's autism is highly selective and disappears when it might inconvenience the plot.

100000%
BOOM! ROASTED!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Think he posted these all previously on his site btw - https://theartofken.com/gallery/the-predator-33

RidgeTop

Man, Ken is such a fantastic concept artist.

ace3g

ace3g

Corporal Hicks

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

What the hell is that?! a geko-like hybrid? ???  I remember a leaked script had some spider-like creatures. Thanks for sharing. :o

BlueMarsalis79

Ey Legion!

It appears Alien and Predator have been quite close to Noah Hawley for a while then.

Immortan Jonesy

But seriously, I didn't know that the artist worked on Noah Hawley series. What a shame! ;D

BlueMarsalis79

Means it probably would have looked pretty good whatever it ultimately is.

Immortan Jonesy

Definitely. 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed