James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 711,563 times)

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

Doesn't it sound like a great film? I mean, everything I've heard has got me liking it, if you don't know about it, wiki or google it, there is tons of great info about it all over the net, its going to be quite the film.

I like how Cameron said himself that at the end of the day, audiances won't be able to tell whats live action and whats real, it will be that convincing, and that all of the characters have their own story and little arc, that nobody is just along for the ride.

and one of the actors did an interview over at AICN and talked about how there was a lot of great character stuff in there, compared in to the Abyss, as far as character focus and study, but that it also serves up huge Lord of the Rings sized action sequences, and has a romance angle to it as well.

it certainly sounds like Cameron is coming back to the big screen in a very big, great way

gameoverman

gameoverman

I'm interested that he wants to create a whole alien world with a unique culture and all that.  That is quite ambitious, I mean no one has been able to really pull that off yet.

SM

SM

All I really know is there's lots of CG and Siggy's in it.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2007, 02:39:08 AM
All I really know is there's lots of CG and Siggy's in it.

It's also supposed to be shot in 3D..meaning we have to wear glasses.  Supposedly its better than anything out there.. the tech behind it is very interesting.  In a nutshell, it mimics the human eye by moving the cameras closer and further apart to capture true depth.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I read something about the movie on IGN, it sounds amazing. I can't wailt for the movie to come out in 2009.

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

Not meaning to double post, but here is some interesting info

Dreamwork's Monsters vs. Aliens is a 3D animated film that was set to open May 23rd

Not too long after the word got out that it, and Avatar, another 3D film, were facing head to head on May 23rd, 09, people starting speculating which would change its date first, and many were thinking them facing off wasn't good, simply because 3D screens around the world would have to choose to play either Avatar or MVA come the 23rd, and them both being pretty prestigous productions, many theatre chains didn't want to have to make that descision.

But time went by, aand eventually, Dreamkworks changed the release of MVA, bumping it up to May 15th, thye conceeded, and changed their date from the big memorial day weekend.

However, most thought with just a weeks difference between the releases, that the 3D screens around the world would have to still be divided, and that niether big 3D film would get to get the full glory of a wide 3D release.

Fox isn't dumb, they know Avatar is going to be huge, and never once displayed concern, or changed from their memorial day weekend date

so as most predicted, Dreamworks ended up changing their date for MVA two months ahead of Avatar's all the way to March 27th, one of the execs claiming that they didn't want to divide 3D screens between two film when they were supposed to be at their biggest.

so now, Avatar has Memorial day weekend all to itself, and originally, May 1st was going to be the release of the 3rd Chronicles of Narnia film, and some thought that would be Avatar's biggest contender, despite the two films coming out 22 days away.

But that too has been pushed back, for production reasons, to May 7th, 2010

and so now, the only film even listed to come out in May 09 is G-Force, some family adventure movie, coming out on the 1st, so again, it won't really effect Avatar much.

so basically, as of now, Avatar is going to have memorial day weekend all to itself, so it will get put in the maximum number of screens, conventional and 3D, its going to be great.

Cellien

Cellien

Good info! Geeze though...2009?  Seems like so much could happen between now and then.. Thats too far away!

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

2009 will be here before you know it. 2009 is going to be a good year for movies.

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

oh yes, it will be, I mean, Avatar seems like it could be the next big Sci-fi film that thrills everyone around the world, and gives everyone a reason to see a movie in a theatre, instead of bootlegging it.

Its going to be huge, I doubt any major film will try to challenge it directly on its opening weekend.

nukem11

nukem11

This film is looking really good a pity Cameron hasnt made any films since Titanic.

Gates

Gates

Holy sh!t...a reported budget of $260 million...Cameron is not fu<king around with this film...

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=6179&count=0

It also vaguely discusses some of the tech behind the film...

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

This movie comes out the sameday i get out of high school. I'm going to see this for sure!

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Michelle Rodriguez, oh no. If there is one hint of a tough-chick role form her in the trailer, probably won't see this.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

What wrong with Michelle Rodriguez?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed