Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,220 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SM on Apr 19, 2017, 05:57:33 AM
Yeah I dunno about the first one.  Some bits were good
Spoiler
the Floaters and the Alien making a hive inside a dead one
[close]

Other bits, not so much.
Spoiler
An egg the size of a potato?
[close]

Could
Spoiler
this be a different strain of Alien? Maybe it's really closely related to the Xenomorph but has different egg types.
[close]

I have just passed the Hicks story, I've enjoyed them all so far. I liked Bishop's origin and how it explored his mind.

Hicks' story was quite tense and a great read.

Ultramorph

Just finished the Bishop story. It was a neat look into his mind, for sure. Reapers was really cool, too.

As far as the Leapers
Spoiler
I get the impression that these xenos were a 'softer' breed because they had been born from a species that had no natural predators. They didn't seem as aggressive as normal xenos.
[close]

The Alien Predator

That's true and it was interesting to explore that aspect of the Aliens, how they're possibly psychologically affected as well as physiologically.

Ultramorph

The Hicks story was pretty good, I was worried about it being really unnecessary, but it was ok.

Russ840

what i giving people the impression that
Spoiler
the Leapers are Xenos ?
[close]
I didn't get that at all.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Blowback was pretty cool!
Spoiler
Loving the glimpses we're getting of different bugs.
[close]

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 19, 2017, 07:53:29 PM
what i giving people the impression that
Spoiler
the Leapers are Xenos ?
[close]
I didn't get that at all.

I think there either a different strain or one that has evolved because of the unique life on the planet.

SM

They were obviously different
Spoiler
being 5 metres tall.  But for all that extra size, they did seem to be cut down pretty easily.
[close]

As for Bishop
Spoiler
he killed the Company F pirates when he remotely turned their breathing masks off
[close]

Russ840

Yeah. I got the impression they are a totally different, unrelated species.

Hudson

Hudson

Came in the mail today. First off, very handsome volume. I imagined it would be a smaller format like the other Titan books, but the larger page format is fine too.

Read the first two stories so far. The first one feels phoned in to me, like the author isn't much of a fan. The second one was better and more relevant (what did the first one have to do with Colonial Marines?), but I didn't find the end to be very satisfying. Seemed to suffer from a lack of clear protagonist/focus. I wasn't really sure who to care about the most. Both well-written so far.

SM

London was the protagonist, but he was a bit too one dimensional
Spoiler
ie. being completely defined by gambling
[close]

And yeah, I did note the lack of Marines in the story too.  As I said above - had some good bits and some not so good bits.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Reading "No Good Deed," surprised when it said
Spoiler
WY was colonizing all 3 moons of Calpamos. I wonder what happened to all the Engineer artifacts on LV-223?
[close]

Having finished the story, that's the least surprising part!  :laugh:

Spoiler
Bates went full Accelerant Wars!
[close]

Well,
Spoiler
Burke's childhood was dark..
[close]

Hudson

Finished Broken and Reclamation. Broken is pretty good, probably my favorite of the first four so far. The ending is really bad though, very tacked on and unnecessary. Also, silly and logistically improbable.

Reclamation didn't do a whole lot for me either and also seemed unnecessary in terms of developing character motivation. I don't feel like I really got anything new or interesting from the character development we were exposed to. Just felt silly.

SM

The Hicks story started well, ended a bit on the nose.

Spoiler
Leaving aside the thing about some stories fitting with canon and some not, was Hicks supposed to be up against Aliens in that story?
[close]

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Apr 20, 2017, 04:57:36 AM
The Hicks story started well, ended a bit on the nose.

Spoiler
Leaving aside the thing about some stories fitting with canon and some not, was Hicks supposed to be up against Aliens in that story?
[close]

Spoiler
It seemed heavily implied, which I felt was a ridiculous retcon.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Eugh, I was really hoping against hope the cover wouldn't look so ass once I actually had it in my hands... but it does.

Also lol @ "Here are fifteen all-new stories" on the back (in bold, exactly like that) when the book actually contains eighteen stories :laugh:

Looking forward to giving it a read in the not-too-distant future though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed