Alien Resurrection PS1 - "Deadly" Difficulty Walkthrough

Started by Year0, Apr 23, 2023, 10:23:30 AM

Author
Alien Resurrection PS1 - "Deadly" Difficulty Walkthrough (Read 1,801 times)

Year0

Hello fellow aliens fans first post!

Alien Resurrection for the PS1 has an inaccessible difficulty mode coded into the game. It is called Deadly and it's even harder than hard.

I am in the process of building a video walkthrough and am up to Level 5. Here's a link to my channel and the first mission.

Would be interested in learning more about the differences in difficulty if anyone notices. It's a slow game so you may want to skip to mission 4 or 5 for the action.

Hope you enjoy it!

BlueMarsalis79

No way dude, it's f**king plenty hard enough!

Wweyland

I accidentally played on hard and finished the game. But I had the power of the emulator with its quick save feature.

Year0

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 23, 2023, 10:04:05 PMNo way dude, it's f**king plenty hard enough!
The playthrough makes it look easy but I died many, many times especially on level 5. The number of takes that mission took would make Stanley Kubrick feel right at home.
If you can get through levels 4 and 5 you become generally well educated on how precise you must be to survive.

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 24, 2023, 08:29:00 AMBut I had the power of the emulator with its quick save feature.
No cheating here! This is a raw playthrough. I only save state at designated save points once like the campaign intended. My exceptions are:
- Level warping to level 3. This is necessary because level 2 is unbeatable on Deadly. (It would be a very short playthrough otherwise.)
- Save stating before a boss. This is because I kept trying to kill the queen with the pistol (bad idea as aliens eventually start spawning) and the colonel with the flamethrower (also obviously bad idea).

Here is level 6!

RidgeTop

Rough, mad respect for this goal here.

Video is looking quite nice too, would be curious to know your emulation settings.

Year0

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 02, 2023, 11:21:54 PMRough, mad respect for this goal here.
It's hilariously defeating. After completing Isolation on Nightmare twice and watching Civvie complain about the difficulty, I thought what is the issue here, just configure a mouse and blast along like Quake or Chasm. Never knew it was such a complete motherf**ker.

Playing it like a normal FPS is the wrong attitude. You have to play like some kind of flight simulator, because there are so many lulls and faraway destinations to travel to, and sudden moments of crazy intense action where every second counts. And you have to know every room because there's always ambushes.

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 02, 2023, 11:21:54 PMwould be curious to know your emulation settings.

I'm using Duckstation (ePSXe was too difficult to work with even the paid version)

Display tab:
Renderer: Hardware D2D12
Adapter: My shitty GeForce card

Enhancement tab:
Internal Resolution Scale: 4x
Texture Filtering: JINC2 (Slow)
Downsampling: Adaptive (Preserve 3D/Smooth 2D)
True Color Rendering - yes
Disable Interlacing - yes
Geometry Correction - yes
Perspective Correct Textures - yes
Culling Correction - yes
Everything else - leave blank

Tbh I don't know what it means, just played with the options until it looked nice. Probably other people can do a better job.

To activate Deadly, you need Gameshark code: 30096C91 0003
This is easily integrated into the Cheat Manager under Tools.
(This only works with USA version - could not make it work with European)

Getting the controls right was another task. If you look on my channel there's a tutorial on this.

Here is level 7!

Year0

Here is level 8. This has to be the worst level in the game.

Gonna stop posting now and leave others to watch it themselves if they like, the whole series can be seen on https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6oZyOr4WHnIex1Oh6A24nYivyxn1d6GG.

Year0

Ah screw it. Here's level 9:

Level 10:

No special reward at the end either. I guess the devs who made this feel like chewing sandpaper while stabbing yourself in the brain is pleasurable or something. But this masochistic adventure is finally over.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed