Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jan 18, 2017, 02:24:53 PM

Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Yes
No
Author
Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters? (Read 15,112 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 04:12:18 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 19, 2017, 04:09:01 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 19, 2017, 03:56:14 AM
Also i'd somehow want to try and fix the opening. I'm not entirely sure how or what could be done to fix it, though.

Edit the egg out of it.

CG it so it's panning across the dropship landing gear well.

How about a facehugger crawling down the landing gear instead?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 19, 2017, 04:14:24 AM
Also i'd somehow want to try and fix the opening. I'm not entirely sure how or what could be done to fix it, though.

Edit the egg out of it.

I can dig it.

SM

Edit the egg out of it.

Nah, my way's prolly cheaper, cos you can repurpose existing footage.

OpenMaw

Could recolor and reuse some of the shots from the scene in Aliens where everything is sitting quietly while the marines are in hypersleep.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 19, 2017, 04:11:19 AM
There's a better version of the movie between the two cuts.

I'd restore a lot of the character stuff in the AC, but i'd keep the dog burster, and i'd definitely use the queen burster from the TC. The effect falling into the fire just looks way way better. The AC looks like some kind of a high quality animatic for what the final shot was supposed to be.
I definitely agree with all of this. Use the opening and crash from the TC, the dog burster and Ripley's death from the TC, and everything else from the AC.

Bingo

OpenMaw

I'd actually combine some of the AC/TC stuff regarding the crashing of the EEV. Seeing more of Clemens, and having him find Ripley had some really good cinematography. On the other hand I always preferred the montage showing each person's death in the TC. (The way the screen is shot in the AC doesn't feel nearly as compelling by comparison to the super close up computer images.) Some of the composite shots of the EEV don't look as good in the TC as they do in the AC. So i'd probably fuse those together.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 04:25:38 AM

Edit the egg out of it.

Nah, my way's prolly cheaper, cos you can repurpose existing footage.

Does it have to be footage from Alien 3?

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 19, 2017, 04:53:22 AM
Could recolor and reuse some of the shots from the scene in Aliens where everything is sitting quietly while the marines are in hypersleep.

That's sorta what I had in mind, except it would have to be this angle to show the rear landing leg where the queen was.

Just replace the egg scene with this and animate a CG facehugger leaping out of the landing gear well and scurrying away.

Corporal Hicks

While we're at it, we need Biehn to record some additional dialogue about the Onager to insert in Aliens too.

I've had the pleasure of catching the saga in the cinema at one of those marathons but I'd happily go and see Alien 3 again, in any form, at the cinema. But to be honest, I'd be all over some sort of tidy up effort. Reshoot the opening sequence (of late I like the idea of showing a facehugger creeping aboard, showing an out-of-focus Ripley vs. Queen in the background) and tidying up of the special effects.

Whiskeybrewer

Yeah I'd definitely go and see the AC from the bluray at the cinema. But i do agree with some edits. Alter the opening to involve a facehugger coming from the dropship instead of a random egg. Use the screens of the dead characters from the TC but I'd interweave that after Clemens runs into the showers carrying Ripley, telling the prisoners to get the EEV as there may be others. Thats when you edit that in. Update some of the Alien effects during Clemens death and the Bait and Chase, remove Murphy's Spike line again as its not needed i feel and i think that about covers it for me

judge death

The best way to improve on Alien 3 besides the landing gear idea:
Dont show a facehugger or egg at all and remove all clues that ripley has an alien in her and the fact the dog/OX had been facehugged and let the first reveal of the alien be when it kills those 3 with the lights on the ground scene.

SM

So it just appears out of nowhere?

judge death

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 06:43:52 PM
Pretty much but later when Ripley talks to Bishop she as the audience get to know there was an alien/facehuggers onboard. First clue is when the alien dont kill ripley after it takes care of clemens.
I prefer it being a mystery. Watching alien 3 as it is now we know already there is an alien and when it will show up but the prisoners etc dont which takes out some of the atmosphere of the movie in my opinion.

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 03:59:06 AM
Most of the character stuff in the first half is a waste of time.  You get extra time with Boggs, Rains, Golic, Frank and Murphy.  All of whom are dead by the end of the first half or just after.  Would've been better off beefing up Morse, David, Kevin, Gregor, etc so we might give a shit at the end.

TC cut too much; AC didn't cut enough (obviously).

I agree with you about Morse. There's a webpage where I saw a clip of him screaming out when Aaron gets killed. He seemed really affected by his death which led me to believe there was something more to their relationship. But I can understand why it was cut because the whole movie he's just giving Aaron shit, and for him to have such a drastic change of heart wouldn't have felt right.

SM

Quote from: judge death on Jan 19, 2017, 06:52:28 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 06:43:52 PM
Pretty much but later when Ripley talks to Bishop she as the audience get to know there was an alien/facehuggers onboard. First clue is when the alien dont kill ripley after it takes care of clemens.
I prefer it being a mystery. Watching alien 3 as it is now we know already there is an alien and when it will show up but the prisoners etc dont which takes out some of the atmosphere of the movie in my opinion.

I think they tried that and it didn't work with the test audiences.  Creating some mystery for a bit longer might work, but they needed to make Ripley aware of the Alien earlier.

QuoteI agree with you about Morse. There's a webpage where I saw a clip of him screaming out when Aaron gets killed. He seemed really affected by his death which led me to believe there was something more to their relationship. But I can understand why it was cut because the whole movie he's just giving Aaron shit, and for him to have such a drastic change of heart wouldn't have felt right.

That was the workprint.  I wrote a rundown on it years ago.  It doesn't come across as a change of heart, but something of a reveal that the constant sniping and bickering was something of a front.

Nyarlathotep

There's a better version of the movie between the two cuts.

I'd restore a lot of the character stuff in the AC, but i'd keep the dog burster, and i'd definitely use the queen burster from the TC. The effect falling into the fire just looks way way better. The AC looks like some kind of a high quality animatic for what the final shot was supposed to be.

Damm, did you read my mind or something?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed