Alien Covenant Blu-ray

Started by 0321recon, Jun 29, 2017, 02:49:35 PM

Author
Alien Covenant Blu-ray (Read 120,975 times)

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

The cover art is meh. I would have preferred something either more subtle or more epic like the engineers/xenomorph poster. But whatever, it's the movie that counts, and I'm excited to see the extended/deleted stuff.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Withholding the doc makes me think they will double dip. Knowing they created one is a giveaway. Best case scenario is the extended cut wouldn't be ready for the first wave of releases so they are withholding the doc for the ultimate edition. It would be nice if they would be up front about this, like Lord of the Rings. The sad truth is that studios are backing away from home video because it peaked over a decade ago. That's why there are tons of extended cuts from that era that just added some deleted scenes back in without director participation. Sony in particular beat the extended cut to death until they genuinely devalued the concept. Fox today isn't the same Fox that allowed Scott to create a director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, gave it a limited theatrical run, and released a four-disc DVD. It's a different marketplace and the studio is under different leadership.

A lot of it also had to do with Lauzirika. He knows what the fans want and gives them 110%. I rewatch his docs frequently and they are exquisite. But Fox and even Ridley seem disinclined to continue the practice. If they want to create a flagship home video release, they should get Lauzirika back and follow his advice to a T.

Rereading the old box office prediction thread makes me wonder if the sparse features on this disc is a reflection of the poor box office. Hardly anybody predicted it would perform this poorly. Most people expected it to make at least double the amount it ended up making. It's entirely possible that Fox lost money on Covenant. It might have been a financial decision not to throw good money after bad. We may have only gotten a commentary because they already recorded it.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 30, 2017, 04:32:17 PM
Quote from: palerider on Jun 30, 2017, 03:53:13 PM
S**t......what about guys like me who is stuck with a dvd player?.......any news on dvd?
buy yourself an Xbox One S or something :D
What if you don't have TV? I'm stuck with a dvd player (on my computer) as well. Maybe it's time to get a blu-ray drive...

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 06:43:23 PM
Rereading the old box office prediction thread makes me wonder if the sparse features on this disc is a reflection of the poor box office. Hardly anybody predicted it would perform this poorly. Most people expected it to make at least double the amount it ended up making. It's entirely possible that Fox lost money on Covenant. It might have been a financial decision not to throw good money after bad. We may have only gotten a commentary because they already recorded it.

I was willing to buy the DVD, and wait for that 'ultimate edition' with the doc and extended cut, though after reading your post your theory, the lackluster features make sense. This might be it.  :'(

Keyes

Keyes

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Daz85 on Jun 30, 2017, 04:42:13 PM
I wonder why CdL wasn't involved? He worked on The Martian, but I got the impression from his FB page that they experience wasn't a smooth one.

Any insights Cpl. Hicks?
What about The Martian didn't go smoothly for CdL?

He mentioned something around the release of the Blu-ray that his experiences on the film could have warranted his own 'making of' documentary. But I know he was proud of the film and the special features he created. I just find it interesting that he hasn't done any special features work on any movie since, unfortunately.

Apex Predator

Apex Predator

I was hoping something like the "Furious Gods" documentary would have been included

Protozoid

Protozoid

Didn't they shoot one called The Making of Fear? What is the status of that? Was it too costly to complete or are they withholding it for a double dip? It had better not be a retail exclusive or disc reviewers are going to go ape.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 08:44:03 PM
Didn't they shoot one called The Making of Fear? What is the status of that? Was it too costly to complete or are they withholding it for a double dip? It had better not be a retail exclusive or disc reviewers are going to go ape.

That's what everyone is wondering.

Keyes

Keyes

If the rumour about this doc is true, maybe there are issues with it being ready in time, considering the movie was meant to be released in August and brought forward considerably?

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 06:43:23 PM
Withholding the doc makes me think they will double dip. Knowing they created one is a giveaway. Best case scenario is the extended cut wouldn't be ready for the first wave of releases so they are withholding the doc for the ultimate edition. It would be nice if they would be up front about this, like Lord of the Rings. The sad truth is that studios are backing away from home video because it peaked over a decade ago. That's why there are tons of extended cuts from that era that just added some deleted scenes back in without director participation. Sony in particular beat the extended cut to death until they genuinely devalued the concept. Fox today isn't the same Fox that allowed Scott to create a director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, gave it a limited theatrical run, and released a four-disc DVD. It's a different marketplace and the studio is under different leadership.

A lot of it also had to do with Lauzirika. He knows what the fans want and gives them 110%. I rewatch his docs frequently and they are exquisite. But Fox and even Ridley seem disinclined to continue the practice. If they want to create a flagship home video release, they should get Lauzirika back and follow his advice to a T.

I was thinking the same thing, but Logan really didn't get that many special features and it did a lot of business for the studio. A commentary, three deleted scenes, trailers, and the Logan Noir version of the movie. It did get a 'Making Of' documentary that was an hour long, but it wasn't all that great. 

Overall, it still felt like a weak release.

palerider

palerider

Whoever gets hold of the first Bluray/dvd can they please checkout "was it a flute or a cord" that David pulled out of Walter by slomo.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: palerider on Jul 01, 2017, 06:44:14 AM
Whoever gets hold of the first Bluray/dvd can they please checkout "was it a flute or a cord" that David pulled out of Walter by slomo.

I think its a flute that goes in and when he pulls it out a cord of the white viscous fluid trails behind it.

juxtapose

juxtapose

well 12 deleted/extended scene's certainly is'nt bad. .how many were their on the prometheus bluray?. .i wonder if some of these deleted scenes are actually alternative scenes. .

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

How many of the deleted scenes will have unfinished effects?

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 01, 2017, 09:53:19 AM
How many of the deleted scenes will have unfinished effects?
I don't think anyone here knows. I hope most of the effects are finished, but I doubt it. It depends on how early the scene was cut, I suppose.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed