Pre-production on new Alien film will start next week

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Mar 05, 2015, 11:06:59 AM

Author
Pre-production on new Alien film will start next week (Read 28,702 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 05, 2015, 12:41:10 PM
Long enough for some genius (Tom Rothman) to strongly suggest (insist) that they remove the xenomorphs from the alien movie.

>Remove Aliens
>Keep some of the facility concepts from the published art
>Add this guy and all of his creepy little friends:

>Profit?

T Dog

Jon Spaights said in the dvd commentary that the idea to remove the xenomorphs came from "very high up" in Fox.
I've read elsewhere that it's suspected to be Rothman and judging by his past record of being creatively intrusive it would not surprise me.

I.E. see his unlogical hatred of having robots in movies (no sentinels in X Men, no Transformers at Fox), getting the director of the first Wolverine movie to repaint a set a different colour for god knows what reason!

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 05, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
Jon Spaights said in the dvd commentary that the idea to remove the xenomorphs came from "very high up" in Fox.
I've read elsewhere that it's suspected to be Rothman and judging by his past record of being creatively intrusive it would not surprise me.

I.E. see his unlogical hatred of having robots in movies (no sentinels in X Men, no Transformers at Fox), getting the director of the first Wolverine movie to repaint a set a different colour for god knows what reason!

Huh. That's news to me, though I admittedly haven't done much digging around after Prometheus came out. Either way, I doubt Lindelof helped matters much...

T Dog

A "Yes Man" such as Lindelof never helps matters.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Good thing then that Rothman is no longer at Fox.

oduodu

oduodu

i have been saying for the longest time that lindelofs inclusion was not ridleys idea.

though at the end of the day lindelof's script was better.

spaight script would have completely killed the franchise if it was filmed.

Adam802

Here we go!

Ultramorph

With Chappie getting mixed reviews, the only thing I expect next week is Fox announcing that they're "putting Blomkamp's Alien project on hold," or that they're "looking for a new developer." I don't mean to sound like a downer, but until we have crew on set, I can't 100% believe that the film will actually happen.

Russ

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 05, 2015, 06:01:19 PM
With Chappie getting mixed reviews, the only thing I expect next week is Fox announcing that they're "putting Blomkamp's Alien project on hold," or that they're "looking for a new developer." I don't mean to sound like a downer, but until we have crew on set, I can't 100% believe that the film will actually happen.

I hate to say it, but Ultramorph may be right. That would be really pants, though.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It's the box office results that's important in this business, not the reviews. How do you think Michael Bay still finds work?  :)

But as I said elsewhere, I suspect the deal is already done and dusted - Chappie's BO probably won't factor anymore considering that a different studio is involved. Blomkamp has been very busy with Chappie's promotional tour these past few weeks, he'll likely have plenty of free time from next-week on.

Ultramorph

I almost have to wonder if they let all this Alien 5 stuff drop when it did because they knew Chappie wasn't going to be well received. Like Blomkamp was already trying to change the subject before Chappie even hit theaters.

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: Entertainment TonightAfter teasing his ideal Alien sequel on Instagram earlier this year, director Neill Blomkamp was finally given the opportunity to direct a brand new installment in the Alien franchise, and it looks like Sigourney Weaver has signed on to reprise her iconic role.

Weaver and Blomkamp, who both walked the red carpet at the New York premiere of their upcoming sci-fi collaboration Chappie, stopped to talk to ET's Jason Dundas, and they both teased the long-awaited project.

When asked about whether or not she was coming back to reprise her role as alien-fighting badass Ellen Ripley, Weaver said she would be retuning.

"There are two factors [Neill Blomkamp] needs: Ripley and the Aliens," Weaver said.

Blomkamp, who directed Chappie and is best known for helming the Oscar-nominated sci-fi epic District 9, confirmed her participation as well.

"She'll be in the cast," Blomkamp said. "She is the Alien franchise, to me, so yeah."

Blomkamp also confirmed that he will begin pre-production on his Alien sequel as early as next week.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 05, 2015, 06:38:15 PM
I almost have to wonder if they let all this Alien 5 stuff drop when it did because they knew Chappie wasn't going to be well received. Like Blomkamp was already trying to change the subject before Chappie even hit theaters.

Might be a kind of insurance policy for Blomkamp.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

So I guess we might Alien 5 sooner then latter. I guess 2017 may be likely and hard to believe it will be 20 years since A:R came out. I saw A:R when I was 6 back in 1997 and will be 26 when Alien 5 comes out.

Vrastal

"There are two factors [Neill Blomkamp] needs: Ripley and the Aliens," Weaver said

This right here is what bugs me. The whole idea that the Alien franchise HAS to have Ripley, its a crock.

Though i wouldnt be upset to see ron peralman, something tells me it wouldnt be too far out there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed