Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 44,784 times)

PsyKore

I agree a lot still looks alright. Although, the CGI of the aliens running up to the Queen before they free her looks a bit video-gamey. I also find a lot of stuff tends to look too rubbery, like facehuggers, chestbursters, Predator faces, mainly anything fleshy.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 29, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
I agree a lot still looks alright. Although, the CGI of the aliens running up to the Queen before they free her looks a bit video-gamey. I also find a lot of stuff tends to look too rubbery, like facehuggers, chestbursters, Predator faces, mainly anything fleshy.

Totally agree and the way the Predators looked was way too fat, bulky and dumb looking. I've never seen such big Predator suits which took away from that cool stealthy look they always have.

Master

Ahhh, as always I have to say it. It's better to have additional armour when dealing with three meters of claws, teeth, sharp tail and corrosive blood. Same with weaponry, you want to have as much distance as possible.

With lower amount of armour Grid would've had a smoking whole in abdomen, after Grid's acid squirt.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Apr 02, 2019, 12:56:55 AM

https://images.app.goo.gl/zXVvnp8MYLzdtMBS6

Totally agree and the way the Predators looked was way too fat, bulky and dumb looking. I've never seen such big Predator suits which took away from that cool stealthy look they always have.

Hut! Hut! Hut! Hike!

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 02, 2019, 12:23:05 PM

Hut! Hut! Hut! Hike!

https://i.imgflip.com/f50k4.gif

Foul on the goal line, targeting.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Apr 02, 2019, 12:34:14 PM
Foul on the goal line, targeting.

Aliens get the ball!

Samhain13

Its mainly the armor that causes that issue, when Celtic takes parts of it off, he doesn't look that bad.

Corporal Hicks

There's some shots of Scar where he looks pretty lithe too.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2019, 03:53:18 PM

Really Scar? I though his armor looked the bulkiest of them all. And those huge dreads didn't help on his design. The ones in the flashback were fine.

Quote from: Master on Apr 02, 2019, 09:03:19 AM
Ahhh, as always I have to say it. It's better to have additional armour when dealing with three meters of claws, teeth, sharp tail and corrosive blood. Same with weaponry, you want to have as much distance as possible.

They didn't had much armor covering their thighs though, Anytime and Wolf had more protection on their thighs than the AVP predators. Issue isn't the additional armor but the design, looked generic and kind of fake.

Comics and games showed better examples of how heavily armored predators should look, and they kept their athletic moves on it.

I don't remember about people complaining that those other Predators looked fat or dumb.

The Old One

The Old One

I honestly always thought Monolith's Predator appeared dumb af. But worked for the comic-book artstyle.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 02, 2019, 04:31:09 PM

Really Scar? I though his armor looked the bulkiest of them all. And those huge dreads didn't help on his design. The ones in the flashback were fine.

Without going and grabbing the actual screenshots, I thought he looked fine here:

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 02, 2019, 04:34:52 PM
I honestly always thought Monolith's Predator appeared dumb af. But worked for the comic-book artstyle.

You mean the heavy predator model? I liked how they tried to make each Predator look distinct from each other, not only in color and armor, but in bone structure and muscle mass as well. Light and Ancient looked quite different I guess but since we had the "standard" predator model too, I didn't mind such additions.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2019, 04:39:53 PM

Without going and grabbing the actual screenshots, I thought he looked fine here:

Might be one of his best shots.

They were less bulky on the concept art. The issue probably arrived when ADI made the armor.

The Old One

The Old One

The concept art's fantastic.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2019, 04:39:53 PM

I think it looks fine there because of the shoulder pads are hidden in shadow / dreads.

I think the no neck against the American Football shoulder pads combine to make the awful, bulky look.

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed