When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 72,175 times)

Highland

Quote from: Predaker on Oct 03, 2017, 12:45:18 AM
Quote from: Highland on Oct 03, 2017, 12:11:24 AM
Face hugged robots bust up too many established rules. I'm still unsure if Ridley is deliberately swerving the biomechanics because of preference or plot.

The Covenant xeno isn't different enough for me for it to be plot.

Based on statements from the filmmakers about the Alien being out of anyone's control, engineers discovering a decimated homeworld, and deliberately toning down the biomechanical aesthetic because they're working towards it in the next installment, I'd guess the idea was to bring back engineers suited up as they were in Prometheus for the final touches to the Alien. It won't be David's doing.

Where's the quote about working towards it.

Scorpio

Face hugged robots bust up too many established rules.

The rules are just there as a guide.  As somebody said the rules are meant to be broken.  You follow the rules, it becomes predictable.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 03, 2017, 02:03:07 AM
Face hugged robots bust up too many established rules.

The rules are just there as a guide.  As somebody said the rules are meant to be broken.  You follow the rules, it becomes predictable.

Negative. Busting a rule in the prequel is different from busting a rule in a sequel. Unless David is not responsible for the eggs on the original derilict.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Highland on Oct 03, 2017, 01:10:44 AM
Face hugged robots bust up too many established rules. I'm still unsure if Ridley is deliberately swerving the biomechanics because of preference or plot.

Based on statements from the filmmakers about the Alien being out of anyone's control, engineers discovering a decimated homeworld, and deliberately toning down the biomechanical aesthetic because they're working towards it in the next installment, I'd guess the idea was to bring back engineers suited up as they were in Prometheus for the final touches to the Alien. It won't be David's doing.

From Chris Seagers, production designer on Covenant:

QuoteThe aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-spoilers-things-to-know/

Highland

Quote from: Predaker on Oct 03, 2017, 02:18:45 AM
Quote from: Highland on Oct 03, 2017, 01:10:44 AM

From Chris Seagers, production designer on Covenant:

QuoteThe aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-spoilers-things-to-know/

Interesting. So the choice is based on plot it seems. I'm not sure if that makes me happy or worried. I guess we can presume then that David does "upgrade" the Alien somehow. Unless the eggs on the original Derilict are laid after he's dead.

It could be a case that the ship is actually empty at the time of the Space Jockey chest burst then filled by that Queen.

Although that wouldnt explain the Blue lasers.

Baron Von Marlon

David will bio-mech upgrade himself, making him vulnerable to infection by either black goo or facehugger.
I'm guess black goo because that would fit in the with strange appearance of the jockey.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Oct 02, 2017, 06:16:36 PM
"Facehuggers don't go after robots."

I've always been curious why xenos consider synthetic biology off the menu? I prefer real hamburger, but I would eat a tofu burger if I was hungry enough.

Not a fitting analogy I suppose to what seems a redundant question considering no cinema source explaining why xenos turn their nose up to a synthetic food/host source.

In earlier drafts of Prometheus and Covenant there's mention of how the eggs/facehuggers react to the breath of natural biological living beings.
Leeches do something similar in real life. If they feel warm, moist air they move in its direction.

Highland

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 03, 2017, 02:46:29 AM
David will bio-mech upgrade himself, making him vulnerable to infection by either black goo or facehugger.
I'm guess black goo because that would fit in the with strange appearance of the jockey.

I've always been curious why xenos consider synthetic biology off the menu? I prefer real hamburger, but I would eat a tofu burger if I was hungry enough.

Not a fitting analogy I suppose to what seems a redundant question considering no cinema source explaining why xenos turn their nose up to a synthetic food/host source.

In earlier drafts of Prometheus and Covenant there's mention of how the eggs/facehuggers react to the breath of natural biological living beings.
Leeches do something similar in real life. If they feel warm, moist air they move in its direction.

Usually don't agree with your whacky theories! But.... David somehow trying to make himself more human would slightly fit with the themes of the movies. I could actually see that being a possibility and kind of freaky at the same time. The whole Pinocchio becoming a real boy theme.

There's a chance though we are over thinking this and Awakening will be an Alien chasing 6 people around a ship.

Biomechanoid

My speculation on this curiosity is flawed mainly because I'm trying to apply human appetite to an alien appetite, if it can even be described as such.

When my "leech" feels something warm and moist, it moves in its direction also .........  ;)

[sorry for the beavis/butthead humor, I couldn't resist)

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Highland on Oct 03, 2017, 02:55:17 AMUsually don't agree with your whacky theories! But.... David somehow trying to make himself more human would slightly fit with the themes of the movies. I could actually see that being a possibility and kind of freaky at the same time. The whole Pinocchio becoming a real boy theme.

There's a chance though we are over thinking this and Awakening will be an Alien chasing 6 people around a ship.

There's stuff in David writings about the Engineers about it:

"While the Engineers have definitely taken steps to evolve their genetic structure and durability they curiously maintain a strange deference to the sanctity of their original pre-technological state."

Perhaps he unknowingly infects himself during the upgrade process. With the black goo being unpredictable.

Awakening on a ship would be to plain. I think at least we'll get an Aliens type movie with Engineers inserted.
Or a sweet full blown spectacle conclusion of sorts. That's more of wish than a guess.

Btw, whacky theories? Me?  ;D

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Oct 03, 2017, 03:02:17 AMWhen my "leech" feels something warm and moist, it moves in its direction also .........  ;)

[sorry for the beavis/butthead humor, I couldn't resist)

Uuuh... Huh huh, huh huh.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Highland on Oct 03, 2017, 02:55:17 AM
Usually don't agree with your whacky theories! But.... David somehow trying to make himself more human would slightly fit with the themes of the movies. I could actually see that being a possibility and kind of freaky at the same time. The whole Pinocchio becoming a real boy theme.

If Scott insists on having David be a host (urgh), he'd need to have David actually become biological in some fashion or another for it to not be even more of a slap-in the face of the lore.

That said, I'm not sure David would do it intentionally given his disdain for his biological creators. Perhaps as an accident as a result of his experimentation with the accelerant. Maybe some sort of poetic justice type thing?

Scorpio

Ridley knows what he is doing.

*In Ridley we trust*

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 03, 2017, 07:46:50 AM

If Scott insists on having David be a host (urgh), he'd need to have David actually become biological in some fashion or another for it to not be even more of a slap-in the face of the lore.

That said, I'm not sure David would do it intentionally given his disdain for his biological creators. Perhaps as an accident as a result of his experimentation with the accelerant. Maybe some sort of poetic justice type thing?

I'll buy into this stuff if it's explained or implied well in the story. If it's just another "because David did it ....check out this short on the Blu Ray" then yeah I'm not gona like it much.

CainsSon

With the budget issues a sequel will grapple with, an Alien chasing 6 people around a ship is likely. And Im thinking Ridley Scott is not a great ACTION director. He is better with style and slow-burn. Look at his best SCI FI works. Even The Martian is a slow burn. Blade Runner, Alien, etc. That's what he should be doing.
That's not too mention that I feel both Prequels are missing the claustrophobic atmosphere of the first few films.
I think that a smaller, contained, suspense heavy film is a great idea.

Whos_Nick

Scott's plans for his prequel series changed several times already. He's just making this up as he goes along, and contradicting what he's said about the origin of the xeno in the past. He mentioned a plan about the films running parallel to the originals but that also changed with Covenant where the end goal is clearly getting to the original film and the derelict. Everyone involved with the film mentions this on the behind the scenes stuff for Covenant, the story is all leading to Ripley on the bridge of the Nostromo according to them.

Highland

Quote from: CainsSon on Oct 03, 2017, 03:15:31 PM

With the budget issues a sequel will grapple with, an Alien chasing 6 people around a ship is likely. And Im thinking Ridley Scott is not a great ACTION director. He is better with style and slow-burn. Look at his best SCI FI works. Even The Martian is a slow burn. Blade Runner, Alien, etc. That's what he should be doing.
That's not too mention that I feel both Prequels are missing the claustrophobic atmosphere of the first few films.
I think that a smaller, contained, suspense heavy film is a great idea.

I agree, I wouldn't mind Scott just hanging back a bit, picking up 4-5 good quality actors, put and Alien in it, See what you can pull off. Screw the naysayers about same old, I'd like to see him do a smaller budget horror again, I don't need anymore space goo or Engineers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed