Titan Books Announces Alien: 40 Years, 40 Artists Book!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 02:23:30 PM

Author
Titan Books Announces Alien: 40 Years, 40 Artists Book! (Read 40,633 times)

426Buddy

Mine should be here next week

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just started paging through my copy and loving it so far! I'm at the Mesoamerican Alien and I'm legit considering getting it tatted on me!

Dane Hallet's piece is gorgeous!

RJ Palmer's "Big Chap Finds a Friend" is another incredible piece!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 12, 2020, 01:58:46 PM

Aren't they just?! Palmer's has to be one of my favourite renditions of Big Chap!

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2020, 08:04:11 AM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 12, 2020, 01:58:46 PM

Aren't they just?! Palmer's has to be one of my favourite renditions of Big Chap!

Absolutely! I think Palmer's is my favorite piece out of all of them. Dorman and Tristan's pieces were also really great. Few too many artists used the AVP alien but that's the only negative nitpick of the book. Otherwise I really enjoyed all the different artwork.

426Buddy

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. Palmers piece is stunning.

seattle24

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 10, 2020, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2020, 01:09:18 PM
There were 2 in here (don't know names off-hand) who committed the cardinal sin of using the AvP Alien publicity still as reference for the Alien though. So big thumbs down to them.

God, I hate that still with a burning passion for still being used as reference on everything and anything to this day. :D

Makes me happy seeing people jump in on this. I was really hoping the Covenant Alien would knock the image off its pedestal but alas, no. 16 years later it still reigns supreme.

Corporal Hicks

RidgeTop pointed out another one to me that I missed. Alice Meichi Li used the very front of the head.

426Buddy

Yeah I wasnt impressed with a handful of these that just felt like they were copied from other sources.

A handful were great, a handful were not good, and the rest were good.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, having seen a bunch of previews now (still waiting on my copy's arrival in the mail), I'm pretty bummed by how many seem to have just been traced from other sources.  :-\ I've now seen two different pieces that traced this piece of concept art from Vincent Ward's Alien 3, for example:

There is some really fantastic material in the book. I love what I've seen from Tristan Jones, Dave Hallett, Matt Hatton, and RJ Palmer. I just wish, with this being a celebration of the 40th anniversary and all, there was a bit more effort/quality control put into getting pieces that were actually original from some of the other artists.

Corporal Hicks

I'm not sure that Alvim traced Worrall's piece. The detailing on the body is different. Perhaps the outline? I'd just taken it as inspired by, and actually really loved it.

Nightmare Asylum

Perhaps, yeah. That one was absolutely the least offensive of the ones that used other pieces of art, and I do dig the way it was integrated into the new piece. Gave me impressions of the Viper Pit from Alien: Resurrection, which is a visual I've always liked.

There was another one that used that too though, that I really didn't care for. I don't know the pieces name or artist though.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I really liked it because of how it was folded into all the other shapes, very Gigeresque in the way it all blended together. It definitely shouts back to the Viper Pit.

I'll have a gander when I get home. I can't recall any off-hand. I know the same artist had another sketch of that Worrall-ish piece above her text.

Aside from the 2 that I picked on that copied the AvP still, there were probably only another 2 I wasn't really keen on on a technical level. The rest of the art in this I just really loved.

Nightmare Asylum

I still haven't seen most of it myself, so I'm really, really excited to get my hands on the book. Just wish Amazon would hurry up! Had the thing pre-ordered since November, and they still didn't have it ready to ship day one. :D

426Buddy

I didn't realize how big it was going to be :D, excellent format and paper quality.

The handful of great ones range from awesome to amazing.

Prez

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 15, 2020, 01:52:58 AM
I didn't realize how big it was going to be :D, excellent format and paper quality.

The handful of great ones range from awesome to amazing.

Saw it yesterday at the book store (plastic sealed) and likewise was surprised how large it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed