The Neomorphs

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 21, 2016, 09:27:05 AM

Author
The Neomorphs (Read 88,482 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 28, 2016, 04:22:15 PM
Agreed, Fassbender just slipped a name that's all. Although I saw some places reporting that Fassbender gave away all those details that you actually dug-up.

Quite a few places did. Is it that hard to actually read the f**king information. This is one of the big problems I have with Internet coverage. No-one f**king reads what they're actually reporting on.

System Apollo

System Apollo

QuoteThey had suits to deal with an inhospitable stratosphere.
Which someone whom specializes in extracting samples from the field could have wore in replacement of Milburn. Once again, machines that just needed their buttons pushed was Fifield's only job... Why was he there?

QuotePotentially risky exploration is how most of the world was discovered. There's a big jump from that to petting a hitherto undiscovered alien lifeform that's seemingly acting aggressively because you think it's cute. Especially if your supposed to be an expert in fauna.

One is a hazard of the job, the other is going out of your way to be an idiot.

Well, yeah; except putting yourself in a hazard when you have the resources to avoid the hazard is foolish within its own merrit.

Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 27, 2016, 10:08:47 PMYet the plain stupidity was the cinematic flair needed to propel the plot in this circumstance.

QuoteNo, relying on characters making unrealistically moronic decisions to propel the plot is simply bad plotting.
You're disagreeing with me yet you paraphrased the statement I made...  ???

QuoteAlien managed to achieve what it wanted without ever inducing the audience to scream, "Why are you such a f*cking moron?!" at the screen.
That is highly debatable. I always felt that there were many moments in Alien that induced that type of impression.

QuoteIt's not that they characters are dumb, it's that they're so dumb I can't believe for even one moment that you'd spend millions, billions, trillions on sending an expedition to the farthest reaches of known space to potentially make first contact with intelligent alien life, and then crew the ship with such a bunch of retards. It completely undermines the entire movie for me.
I can understand this sentiment. I notice you use words like dumb and retarded to convey your perspective, is Prometheus that infuriating for you?  How do you feel about the upcoming installment?

QuoteThe question is at what budget point does a singular creative force get overridden?  If you asked me when i wrote my original post late last night I would have had a different answer heh.
That's a good question! I don't know much of the business in film but I could tell you what I do know of executive concepts in the business world and how it could be relatable to film in some way. First we look at a film much as if it were any other standard business project, for example; a restaurant, salon, attorney's office, etc. Second we are looking at the objective of the project: make large amounts of money based on a situational opportunity or establish a running franchise. When capitalizing on situational opportunities you'll find that executive branches (producers in this case) would often step back and be more sensitive with the visionary (directors) directing the project in not to disrupt the chances of success. With a running franchise however, executives tend to take more initiative as the investment and the goals are too grand to risk the price of failure. With that beind said, the more promising the project is, the more larger the pool of investors which in turn creates a larger executive share.

Seldom scenarios that arise of this are usually when the amount of shareholders are too many and they really need to rely on the direction of the visionary as to eliminate too much contrary directions; the other is when a visionary is well distinguished and well recognized that they themselves are part of the budget.

So to better answer your question, it is not a point in budget rather a point in capacity that determines whether a singular creative authority no longer becomes feasible and this usually is more prevalent when you have a smaller pool of executives.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 28, 2016, 04:22:15 PM
Agreed, Fassbender just slipped a name that's all. Although I saw some places reporting that Fassbender gave away all those details that you actually dug-up.

Quite a few places did. Is it that hard to actually read the f**king information. This is one of the big problems I have with Internet coverage. No-one f**king reads what they're actually reporting on.

Reminds me of the nightmare I had to go through with GAvP.  :laugh:

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 24, 2016, 09:41:01 AM
Well Ridley did say you'll see everything from Big Chap but he never actually mentioned the facehugger part. Maybe Ridley is going to move away from the Cameron Canon and go into his own somewhat retroactive direction.

So we're gonna have 3 different cannons? The original one, Ridley's, and Blomkamps.
I don't know whose signature here says "Cannon is like...your opinion man" featuring a picture of his dudeness, but I think that's a saying we're going to have to go by with all these different movies doing different things.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 28, 2016, 06:50:35 PM

QuoteThe question is at what budget point does a singular creative force get overridden?  If you asked me when i wrote my original post late last night I would have had a different answer heh.
That's a good question! I don't know much of the business in film but I could tell you what I do know of executive concepts in the business world and how it could be relatable to film in some way. First we look at a film much as if it were any other standard business project, for example; a restaurant, salon, attorney's office, etc. Second we are looking at the objective of the project: make large amounts of money based on a situational opportunity or establish a running franchise. When capitalizing on situational opportunities you'll find that executive branches (producers in this case) would often step back and be more sensitive with the visionary (directors) directing the project in not to disrupt the chances of success. With a running franchise however, executives tend to take more initiative as the investment and the goals are too grand to risk the price of failure. With that beind said, the more promising the project is, the more larger the pool of investors which in turn creates a larger executive share.

Seldom scenarios that arise of this are usually when the amount of shareholders are too many and they really need to rely on the direction of the visionary as to eliminate too much contrary directions; the other is when a visionary is well distinguished and well recognized that they themselves are part of the budget.

So to better answer your question, it is not a point in budget rather a point in capacity that determines whether a singular creative authority no longer becomes feasible and this usually is more prevalent when you have a smaller pool of executives.

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Development-Hell-Greatest-Movies/dp/0857687239

https://www.amazon.ca/Greatest-Sci-fi-Movies-Revised-Updated/dp/1845767551

Have a read through these two books (they are also super fun reads).  Hollywood is unlike any logical business on earth.  You can read as entire film projects are tanked and millions of dollars lost because Producers refused to let go of the stupidest of ideas.  Ideas that appeal to no one, but they refuse to let go of and sunk the entire ship.  It's basically a group of alpha personalities all wanting to be pleasured without giving up an inch of space.  Bizarre f**ked up world.

The idea of trusting the director when out in the 1970's.  This is why the directors age of Hollywood ended and the Producers age began.  Singular vision in Hollywood hasn't always been profitable. Producer cut of Brazil is a great example.  Lots of questionable edits and re-creations in the editing room with the director not involved.  Fox funny enough has a recent entry on this track record of late stage re-shoots and re-edits (The last Fantastic Four movie, which if you have seen is a f**king disaster of tone because it is clear there are many different minds at work on it).

So far this appear to be unf**ked with.  The set images from today give me a ton more faith than I had last night.  I was waiting to hear stories of struggles between both parties.  Nice to see they are letting Scott tell the story he wants to tell.  Huge risk as well, since they have a lot of money riding on a really abstract franchise for Hollywood.

The Bonus Situation

The Bonus Situation

System Apollo I couldn't agree with you more. Certain people just LOVE bashing Prometheus, because Milburne got so close to the Hamerpede, yet none of them is complaining how silly it was when Kane stuck his WHOLE damn face inside the ovomorph. Thats what makes these movies great, because it is Science Fiction and not Science Fact. They're just filled whith unrealistic ideas, characters and concepts like artificial gravity in multi-deck space ships already in like the early 2100s, given where we are at now technologically, I doubt we'll have ships like that by the early 2100s; atmosphere processors - how does that even work?; prison complexes the size of a city with only 22 prisoners and a staff member with IQ below average; Fifield mapping the cave tunnels and then getting lost in them - thats what makes these movies fun, because 1) it is just a movie 2) it is Science FICTION.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: The Bonus Situation on Oct 29, 2016, 12:37:17 AM
System Apollo I couldn't agree with you more. Certain people just LOVE bashing Prometheus, because Milburne got so close to the Hamerpede, yet none of them is complaining how silly it was when Kane stuck his WHOLE damn face inside the ovomorph. Thats what makes these movies great, because it is Science Fiction and not Science Fact. They're just filled whith unrealistic ideas, characters and concepts like artificial gravity in multi-deck space ships already in like the early 2100s, given where we are at now technologically, I doubt we'll have ships like that by the early 2100s; atmosphere processors - how does that even work?; prison complexes the size of a city with only 22 prisoners and a staff member with IQ below average; Fifield mapping the cave tunnels and then getting lost in them - thats what makes these movies fun, because 1) it is just a movie 2) it is Science FICTION.

Kane was the most eager to explore the derelict, so it was definitely in character that he would look in the egg.  Curiosity got the better of him.  Same with Milburn I suppose.

Oh, and the prison complex housed more, but it was shut down for some reason but a small number elected to stay behind.

System Apollo

System Apollo

@Fiveways
Just purchased Tales from Development Hell via your link. Thank you for the recommendation. I fully agree, producers have taken more authority and I think that it is partly due to how large production for films have been going these days.

I am not too zealous of the Neomorph design just yet but I still need to see Covenant before I formulate any concrete resentments just yet.

@The Bonus Situation
Definitely! I once knew a biologist whom hated Alien and felt that the lifecycle was so inaccurate that they couldn't enjoy it. Rather ironic  :laugh:

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: System Apollo on Oct 29, 2016, 02:33:30 AM
@Fiveways
Just purchased Tales from Development Hell via your link. Thank you for the recommendation. I fully agree, producers have taken more authority and I think that it is partly due to how large production for films have been going these days.

Hope you enjoy it man.  Honestly I have read both of them a few times and always get a kick out of them.  Quick weekend read (I kindled Development hell and by the time i was done my amazon package arrived). 

integer3

integer3

Clue

Ovo (Egg) + Morph (Form) = Ovomorph (Egg Form)

Xeno (Unknown) + Morph (Form) = Xenomorph (Unknown Form)

Orginal Documented Strain. May Possibly be Progenitor Strain or Cultivated/Mutated Strain. Form veries From Host physiology.

Ultra (Ultimate) + Morph (Form) = Ultramorph (Ultimate Form)

Perfect Strain, Ultimate Lifeform, flawless Physiology, and a Complete Organism

Neo (New) + Morph (Form) = Neomorph (New Form)

New Strain judging from description posibly artificially created and genetically modified strain or evolution.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Prometheus concept by Ivan Manzella.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Yes but isn't creeptastic.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Depends on how it's portrayed, that blob-like, transparent xeno in the Spaihts script; dripping out of grated vents, that would be insanely creepy.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 25, 2016, 07:05:06 PM
Prometheus concept by Ivan Manzella.
I think that's Huante's style...?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I thought so too but Reverse Search reckoned it was Manzella.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed