Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,555 times)

Adam802

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2016, 02:32:06 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Jul 24, 2016, 02:28:19 PM
If this movie doesn't acknowledge A3/A:R, and is essentially an "alternate Alien 3", then Hicks/Newt never died and it makes perfect sense for them to appear as alive.  As an alternate continuity, it isn't overwriting A3/A:R at all.  Its just a separate continuity, so those of you who don't like it can disregard it just as I disregard A:R. Prometheus, and AvP.   But there's nothing wrong with seeing another way the story could've turned out, which is a movie I DO want to see.  A3 IS a great film, and has grown on me over the years, but was still a mess and not what even the people working on it wanted it to really be.  A:R on the other hand, was complete corny garbage and thank God its not continuing with Ripley 8.

This is an internet forum. Would you kindly refrain from talking sense. Thank you.

Ill try to tone it down a bit lol  ;)

System Apollo

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2016, 02:32:06 PM
If this movie doesn't acknowledge A3/A:R, and is essentially an "alternate Alien 3", then Hicks/Newt never died and it makes perfect sense for them to appear as alive.  As an alternate continuity, it isn't overwriting A3/A:R at all.  Its just a separate continuity, so those of you who don't like it can disregard it just as I disregard A:R. Prometheus, and AvP.   But there's nothing wrong with seeing another way the story could've turned out, which is a movie I DO want to see.  A3 IS a great film, and has grown on me over the years, but was still a mess and not what even the people working on it wanted it to really be.  A:R on the other hand, was complete corny garbage and thank God its not continuing with Ripley 8.

This is an internet forum. Would you kindly refrain from talking sense. Thank you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She's got more than enough on her plate, four Avatar sequels and evidently cameos in every second sci-fi film that gets made these days. She's hardly scrounging around for a job.

Doesn't mean that she isn't looking for more work though.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Adam802 on Jul 24, 2016, 02:42:05 PM
Ill try to tone it down a bit lol  ;)

:laugh:

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 02:44:25 PM
Doesn't mean that she isn't looking for more work though.

She should be knitting sweaters for her grandchildren, not looking for more work. Damn grannies these days!  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Well said!

Step aside Alien 3!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 24, 2016, 02:54:10 PM
Well said!

Step aside Alien 3!

No, Alien 3 ain't going nowhere. That is exactly the point he was making dude!

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2016, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 24, 2016, 02:54:10 PM
Well said!

Step aside Alien 3!

No, Alien 3 ain't going nowhere. That is exactly the point he was making dude!

That's the point I'm making.  Or trying to anyway.  There's Alien 3 fanboys saying "long live Alien3".  A natural counterpoint to that would be to say something like "down with Alien 3".  But that's not what I want either.  I love Alien 3.  It's a great film.  But I do want it to step aside so we can explore an alternate timeline.  Just step aside and coexist as 2 alternate WORKS OF FICTION.  No more no less.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

That's alright then. I somehow had you pegged as being anti Alien 3.

System Apollo

BlomStaff & Company...  :laugh:

This film does not look like it's going to happen and they're so pushy to do so.

Also, I think people are misunderstanding the skepticism and resentment. It's not the alternate timeline that is an issue or that retconning Alien 3/Ressurection is a mistake that will create a new ire in the franchise but rather that the whole concept of it sounds SO f**kING SILLY!

"Alien 3 took the film in a direction that I don't like, let's change it"
"RIPLEY IN ALIEN SUIT!"
"JAMES CAMERON SAYS IT WILL BE GOOD, CONFIRMED; IT'S GOING TO BE GOOD!"

Sigourney Weaver is not going to put me and my friends on a seat, in fact it will probably shy us away if anything.

The idea of a fresh batch of characters getting scorned is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

"It smells too much like a reboot!?"

So is this going to be a new trend? Hate reboots or films that deviate away from the aesthetic of their previous entries and counter that by shoving those aesthetics back in where they don't fit?

f**king eh, why not just make the introduction of Alien 5 start off with a segment from Tales from the Crypt while we're at it seeing as it sounds like so far that it would have the same qualities of a 21 minute special.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 04:44:13 PM
BlomStaff & Company...  :laugh:

This film does not look like it's going to happen and they're so pushy to do so.

Also, I think people are misunderstanding the skepticism and resentment. It's not the alternate timeline that is an issue or that retconning Alien 3/Ressurection is a mistake that will create a new ire in the franchise but rather that the whole concept of it sounds SO f**kING SILLY!

"Alien 3 took the film in a direction that I don't like, let's change it"
"RIPLEY IN ALIEN SUIT!"
"JAMES CAMERON SAYS IT WILL BE GOOD, CONFIRMED; IT'S GOING TO BE GOOD!"

Sigourney Weaver is not going to put me and my friends on a seat, in fact it will probably shy us away if anything.

The idea of a fresh batch of characters getting scorned is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

"It smells too much like a reboot!?"

So is this going to be a new trend? Hate reboots or films that deviate away from the aesthetic of their previous entries and counter that by shoving those aesthetics back in where they don't fit?

f**king eh, why not just make the introduction of Alien 5 start off with a segment from Tales from the Crypt while we're at it seeing as it sounds like so far that it would have the same qualities of a 21 minute special.

At least you seem to understand... and I just love the derogatory "Alien 3 fanboys" name calling just because someone doesn't agree with an opinion. But you seem to understand that this is a silly concept because the unimaginable actually happened, Alien had the balls to kill off a main character, and it's a people's favourite character as well... they did their jobs and left a huge impact on us.

It's such a silly concept and will take away from said impact. It is the laziest form of writing I have ever seen. At least Godzilla, Terminator and Star Trek have an excuse due to time travel. Alien has no such themes being explored as it seems to pride itself in being grounded and pseudo-realistic.

Remember when Captain America died in Marvel comics and it was all over the internet? I was like "wow, Marvel actually did it? They killed a main character? WOW!" (This was back before I knew that dead comic characters don't stay dead.)

Aaaaaand he got resurrected...  ::)

Now my favourite character, Bruce Banner got killed off... wonder when he's coming back LOL! See? Absolutely no impact, I didn't feel any "WTF they just killed of my favourite character!?" moment.

Whereas you look at something like Game of Thrones... there's a whole set of f**king memes on this show killing off people's favourite characters. Alien is the same, anyone in it can die and that just might be your favourite character... *dramatic stare*

But no, let's Marvel it up, let's get rid of the dark and gritty tone. Can't wait until Danny Boy and Billy come back, let's bring back Andrews as well because we definitely need some much needed "rumour control" on the state of this film.  :P

But jokes aside, seriously, I am genuinely curious for all you people who want Alien 5.

Why would you rather it be RIpley, Hicks and Newt? Would you still be equally as excited for Blomkamp's film if it were his original idea? (The one without these characters?)

What is it about them that makes them so special to you? As opposed to literally limitless new characters they can introduce and expand upon which will add to the overall universe?

I just want to understand your points of view. Because I honestly am not comprehending why you think this is the only way, and not introduce another tough character who can face Aliens. The EU shows that there's loads of possibilities to go this route without involving deceased characters.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It's just entertainment, people. They're not trying to re-write real-life history like the holocaust deniers.

System Apollo

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2016, 05:34:00 PM
It's entertainment people. They're not trying to re-write real-life history like the holocaust deniers.
Your taxes are going to Zionists, wake up people! ::)

My gripe isn't that they are rewriting Alien 3 and Rez, it's that they are bringing back decrepid actors to reprise their roles.

I would be equally if not more disappointed if they did that with Arnie in The Predator.

And this idea that the alternate timeline is the problem is beyond me. The premise of the original trilogy was that Ripley purged the species into extinction. Hell, it took them a hundred years to bring the species back so that they could exist again. If you were to bring them back and have colonial marines and the concept that they have been discovered again you are already making an alternate timeline and retconning A3 and Rez regardless.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 05:47:29 PM
My gripe isn't that they are rewriting Alien 3 and Rez, it's that they are bringing back decrepid actors to reprise their roles.

Would you be on-board then if they recast them?

The thing is, we don't know anything about the story. Biehn mentioned that it was a "passing of the torch" thing, so those decrepit, geriatrics with their wheelchairs and walking canes might not even be the main cast. Might well be something similar to the new Star Wars trilogy in which the original cast takes more of a backseat.

System Apollo

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2016, 06:03:21 PM
Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 05:47:29 PM

Would you be on-board then if they recast them?

The thing is, we don't know anything about the story. Biehn mentioned that it was a "passing of the torch" thing, so those decrepit, geriatrics with their wheelchairs and walking canes might not even be the main cast. Might well be something similar to the new Star Wars trilogy in which the original cast takes more of a backseat.
But Ripley never selectively got involved with Aliens outside of that one instance in Aliens.

What are they passing on? Random occasions that our new protagonist is going to run into Aliens ???

I am for a fresh recast because I was sick of Ripley since Alien Resurrection.

Xenomorphine

What does Cameron say in respect to this project, specifically? I won't be able to wade through this video for a while.

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 04:35:41 AM
And he literally shits on all that with the concept of bringing back geriatric washed up actors to reprise their roles as characters that died in their previous entries..

He's said before that his original project took place after the third film and that it was the conversations he had with Weaver which changed that. If you want to blame someone for the inclusion of Ripley and Hicks, then blame her (the one person in the industry who has defended - and continues to defend - 'Alien 3' more consistently than perhaps anyone else).

Quote from: Mantis Alien on Jul 24, 2016, 08:24:25 AM
I worry that it's just gonna be another Aliens. More guns and more dumb cannon fodder bugs.
Aliens is one of the greatest action movies of all time but I really dislike the thought of getting an Aliens2 just because the first one was great.
'Fan service' is never executed correctly.

Long live alien3

There was a video interview he did several months ago, where he very openly said 'Alien' is his favourite in the series and that 'Alien Isolation' has had a direct and strong influence on how he visualises this project's presentation. He's also been the only person, aside from perhaps Giger, who has repeatedly brought up the need for any future sequel to bring back psychosexuality.

I suspect the 'fan service' in question means returning certain iconic visuals - but that doesn't necessarily mean doing it in the ham-fisted way which 'Requiem' did. It could just as easily mean it in the same way as 'Alien Isolation' did it.

Quote from: marrerom on Jul 24, 2016, 04:10:17 AM
Yeah, at this point James Cameron's endorsement means nothing. He's praised garbage like Genysis and also stated that AvP was better then Alien 3 and A:R. What wouldn't he endorse?

I think he referred to it as having more entertainment value than them, as opposed to artistic merit, I'd actually agree with him on that score.

However, since 'True Lies', his projects have lost that blue collar realism which made the earlier films resonate so much with audiences. 'Titanic' was his most superficial film, to date and, while there are aspects of 'Avatar' which I like, he hasn't shown the kind of edge which he did up to the early nineties. He's no longer the kind of director I'd feel 100% comfortable with writing and directing a new sequel in this particular continuity. Directing somebody else's script or writing a script for someone else to direct, however, would still quite intrigue me.

It's like Anderson: 'Event Horizon' feels like it's helmed by somebody completely different to his 'Resident Evil' and his AVP effort was done very much with the same kind of techniques as the latter, when it needed more of the former. Likewise, 'Pacific Rim' still looks and feels like it was directed by Stephen Sommers, not the guy who headed up, say, 'Pan's Labyrinth'.

Cameron did lose an awful lot of respect by so vocally endorsing 'Genisys', though, you're right. It's not like he needed the money for it.

System Apollo

QuoteHe's said before that his original project took place after the third film and that it was the conversations he had with Weaver which changed that. If you want to blame someone for the inclusion of Ripley and Hicks, then blame her (the one person in the industry who has defended - and continues to defend - 'Alien 3' more consistently than perhaps anyone else).
I always knew she had something behind it. She always does... :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed