If there was a Queen in the game

Started by newbeing, Aug 17, 2018, 05:19:58 PM

Author
If there was a Queen in the game (Read 7,129 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Actually, it's something I thought about when I reached that point in the game.
When you discovered the Hive, I would've liked half of the Aliens to use
the R.S/H.R Giger design and the J.C/Stan Winston design.
No behavioural changes.

Kimo

Kimo

Definitely would of made the final act of the game interesting be it for the better or worse. I bet if Isolation sold well then CA would of brought the Queen and Cameron's xenomorphs in a sequel.

Oasis Nadrama

I f**king hate the Queen and I'm glad she isn't part of the experience.

Additionally, even if I liked the sheer horror of suddenly having multiple xenomorphs to deal with, a full colonization of the station, at the same time it diminishes the creature, it turns back this new Big Chap into "a drone" amongst others.

I would have much preferred this game to explore other options of the reproductive cycle, particularly the eggmorphing. I know I'm not the only one who hoped for that, and also hoped for a sequel to develop this kind of things.

The Old One

The Old One

How does multiple Big Chaps diminish the singular Big Chap?

The individual, especially in Isolation is depicted as every bit as deadly as the group.

If one Big Chap is a major threat, as Isolation depicts even on a station with Androids and civilian weaponry. Then more is just a multiplier of that threat, it doesn't diminish the singular entity whatsoever. That's nonsense.

Huggs

Huggs

I wouldn't say it's nonsense. I think (for certain people) there is an innate human fear of a singular threat.

For me personally, seeing all the other xenos did take away some of the terror, although they thankfully kept the number low after that. Just like with the first and second films, it felt like the horror had been replaced by action.

I would be much more terrified of being in the water with one shark, than with several, the same with xenomorphs. It's the feeling that comes with the presence of one threat. It can hide easier, it's harder to track, harder to see, harder to hear. It could be anywhere, and the whole situation feels much more intimate. This awful thing that's after you is not just one of many acting as part of a greater whole, it's not some swarm you might wander into the path of. It's mentally dedicated, and it's singularly focused on hunting and killing you. That makes it feel personal, and that's scary.

Plus there's also the chance a survival, a sense of hope that comes with one threat. If I can just do everything right, if I'm really careful, I might just survive. When you're facing a swarm, it all feels hopeless. Hopelessness leads to acceptance and/or indifference, neither of which are conducive to maintaining fear.

But then again, not everybody feels this way. But some indeed do.

Oasis Nadrama

The Old One> Multiple Aliens will always trivialize the threat in my opinion, even without Colonial Marines to play trigger-happy. It just doesn't have the same weight when it multiplies, the mind is unable to encompass the scale of the threat anymore. Plus it reminds us that the Alien is a species, it deprives it from its mystery.

Yet it's true that in the entire Alien franchise, Isolation is the work where I felt the less this effect. And more than in any other post here, I'd like to indicate this opinion on the plural Aliens is a personal feeling more than any kind of larger aesthetic statement. I perfectly understand and respect people who find multiple creatures even more terrifying, I'm just not hardwired this way.

Huggs> The things you're saying about the singular threat are very interesting. Yeah, it may work this way. I don't know. I think here we're really talking about things on a very intimate, very instinctive level - fear is always a little personal, and fear of the individual VS fear of the group is even more personal. Really depends on people in the end, I guess.

This discussion leads me to reevaluate the (very negative) way I think about AlienS and about any work featuring multiple xenomorphs.

Still Collating...

I get where you and Huggs are coming from, but yeah, I'm in the camp where more aliens create more fear. But only when it's done smart, when one alien is fully established as a relentless threat, then and only then do I get such gratification when I see multiple aliens, because that dread I feel is more horrifying to me than one alien that can be barley stopped. That dread, or as Huggs put it, that hopelessness, that "no way out" is to me personally even more horrifying than an intimate individual threat that always seems on a level more mortal and stoppable than a plethora of near perfect nightmares.

This is just my view on things, of course. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

I like the idea of a queen on Sevastapol. I think they could have created a scary encounter involving her somehow. But I understand why they didnt, maintaining the spirit of the first film and all.

Kradan

Kradan

Personally, i prefer idea of eggmorphing to "yes there was a queen but you was lucky enough not to encounter her". And i think it would be cool to hide like Newt under the floor while Queen hunting for you.

The Old One

The Old One

Amanda's Ripley's lucky star.

Thatguy2068

Personally I like The idea of both eggmorphing and queen, there's some courses start in a fetus position like the very same way that Brett was in the Director cut when he was becoming an egg. But then you get eggs they're like in the middle of the room and aren't nearby any walls. I think this is the case for both sides can coexist

Wweyland

Wweyland

The Queen should appear in the sequel if there is any.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 12, 2023, 01:19:00 PMThe Queen should appear in the sequel if there is any.
If there was a sequel in the making, yes, how to implement her I think the story is a question on it own

[cancerblack]

It would just end up being hiding from her to activate an airlock or mcguffin, which has been done too many times already.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 17, 2023, 12:31:21 AMIt would just end up being hiding from her to activate an airlock or mcguffin, which has been done too many times already.
Yeah it would be kind of hard to implement her into the gameplay expects. Can be done though but I don't know how

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed