Marvel Launches 20th Century Studios Imprint

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 03, 2023, 03:18:58 PM

Author
Marvel Launches 20th Century Studios Imprint (Read 1,536 times)

Nightmare Asylum

A new Planet of the Apes comic will be the first title under this new imprint, but Alien and Predator will be moving here as well:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-launches-20th-century-studios-planet-of-the-apes-1235339668/

Cosmic Incubation

Interesting
I wonder what the rationale is behind not just branding them all under Marvel (not that I'm complaining).
Kinda just been under the assumption Disney just completely absorbed and stripped for parts 20th Century, without any plans to expand it's brand.

Corporal Hicks

I don't see it making much difference in the long run. It's not like the comics had been neutered being under the general Marvel brand.

Kailem

If anything it just makes me feel like there won't be any "Aliens/Predator vs Wolverine/Punisher/Hulk etc."-type crossovers at any point in the near future. This just seems like even more of a sign that they want to keep them in their own separate corner outside the core Marvel Universe.

TilotnyWorshiper28

yes thats basically why they section off things in imprints  so they wont cross with the main superhero line

Kimarhi

Tone difference maybe, if they want to be more dark than usual with future issues/series.  For sure Fox movies at least have had a darker and more serious tone more often than not compared to Disney or Marvel.   

But the crossover thing might make sense as well even though they could just not cross them over.  It might subconsciously subvert the desire for such a crossover out of some fans.  But Marvel/DC are too overpowered anyway for Alien or Predator so I don't see how it would work in the first place. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2023, 09:44:39 PMTone difference maybe, if they want to be more dark than usual with future issues/series.  For sure Fox movies at least have had a darker and more serious tone more often than not compared to Disney or Marvel.   

Thoughts on the quality of the comics aside, this is what I meant when I said Marvel didn't neuter the franchise. They certainly didn't feel "Marvel" in tone in the first place IMHO. But all the thoughts on the crossovers are very fair. That certainly wasn't something I'd considered being stopped.

Kimarhi

I would actually agree.  I do think they felt somewhat comic booky, and less movie like, but they also didn't feel like lots of the DH comics did, which was like PG13 lite takes on the Alien franchise. 

So far I like the DH run more, but it had decades of material in comparison. 

SiL

Aliens and Predators have crossed over with plenty of superheroes in the past, while owned by completely different companies. This wouldn't stop it in the least if someone wanted it.

Cosmic Incubation

It didn't bother me or anything before, but the more I think about it the more I like all the 20th Century properties having their own little corner separate from all the superheroes.

Don't think it'll change too much with the stories, as Hicks stated it doesn't seem like they've toned them down under the Marvel name, but it'll be nice to have space/differentiation between the worlds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed