ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen

Started by RakaiThwei, Sep 11, 2014, 02:56:25 AM

Author
ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen (Read 40,688 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 12, 2014, 11:29:52 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 11:03:29 PM
There's a difference regarding 3D TVs and Prometheus tech; those are still new so no one has them but the Prometheus tech has been around for over 57 years, 257 if you include A:R, yet neither the Sulaco nor the Auriga have it.
Okay. How many people do you know with old TVs and VHS players hooked up into them in their bathroom.

QuoteAlso, even though Fifield invented the mapping balls, it didn't stop Wey-Yu from using them in A:CM and they utilize the exact same weapons and technology as the colonial marines.
That's A:CM's fault for not paying attention, not Ridley's.
To be completely fair, the mapping balls are on the Weyland Industries website as proprietary Weyland tech.

SiL

So it's the marketing people's fault for not paying attention :P

Xenomrph

The point is that W-Y has access to them if they're advertising them on their website. :P

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Sep 12, 2014, 11:45:00 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 11:41:53 PM
That's my point, no one uses outdated technology.
You really, really aren't getting this, are you?

One, I sent a link to a missile silo that uses 8" floppies. In 2014. Goodbye "No-one uses old tech".

Two, you said the Sulaco should have had it, but we see very little of the Sulaco in the film, and the rooms we do see don't make sense to have Prometheus-like technology in them. We see locker rooms, hangar bays, etc. Even the Prometheus didn't have fancy tech in those places.

We see plenty of the Sulaco in A:CM and there's no reference to Prometheus tech.  Also, your missile silo example implies that both the Sulaco and Auriga were constructed during Prometheus's timeframe and that's why neither was upgraded, I find that VERY hard to believe that ships that old would still be in use when more modern ships can be relied on.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 11:51:32 PM
The point is that W-Y has access to them if they're advertising them on their website. :P
Okay, then let's review for a second:

Why would a tugboat like the Nostromo have them?

Why would Marines use a flying lightshow that would give them away to a potential enemy?

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 11:54:09 PM
I find that VERY hard to believe that ships that old would still be in use when more modern ships can be relied on.
There are still ships from the 40s and 50s in commission.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 12, 2014, 11:55:42 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 11:51:32 PM
Okay, then let's review for a second:

Why would a tugboat like the Nostromo have them?

Why would Marines use a flying lightshow that would give them away to a potential enemy?
I didn't say they would, I was just countering the idea that the mapping balls were one-and-done pieces of tech that were only on the Prometheus mission and never seen again because Fifeld died.

predxeno

Wey-Yu didn't seem to have a problem using the light balls in A:CM and they managed to capture the Alien Queen.

There are no ships in commission that are 257 years old though.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 11:49:02 PM
There's a difference regarding 3D TVs and Prometheus tech; those are still new so no one has them but the Prometheus tech has been around for over 57 years, 257 if you include A:R, yet neither the Sulaco nor the Auriga have it.
Okay. How many people do you know with old TVs and VHS players hooked up into them in their bathroom.

QuoteAlso, even though Fifield invented the mapping balls, it didn't stop Wey-Yu from using them in A:CM and they utilize the exact same weapons and technology as the colonial marines.
To be completely fair, the mapping balls are on the Weyland Industries website as proprietary Weyland tech.

To be fair, the Weyland industries website is proper wank made up by the marketing people.

But i guess it's canon somehow.

predxeno

I love this new dynamic where I'm the one attacking canon and SM and SiL are the ones defending it, I still don't get why they can't see AVPR as canon if they're willing to jump through this many hurdles defending Prometheus though.

Xenomrph

don't get me wrong, I'm okay with shoehorning Prometheus in with Alien, visual style differences and all, but I'm saying that I totally get why people would consider it an anachronism that not a single iota of the fancy, shiny new holographic tech in Prometheus manages to disseminate into any sort of usage seen in any of the movies or the bulk of the EU, and we get a pretty good cross-section of life across the movies and EU (ranging from civilian, to military, to scientific, to corporate) spanning a timeline of centuries. To date the only EU source I can think of offhand that uses fancy holographic tech is AvP2010 (and that managed to come out pre-Prometheus :P).

Like yeah, you can handwave the discrepancies on a case-by-case basis, like why there aren't tabletop holograms at Ripley's ICC inquest in 'Aliens' (or why the map of the Hadley's Hope colony isn't a tabletop hologram), but flat-out ignoring the visual style discrepancy as if it isn't there seems silly.
It's obviously not a deal-breaker for me and I can look past it, but I'm not going to act like I don't understand why people might be irked by it.

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 13, 2014, 12:02:45 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 11:49:02 PM

To be fair, the Weyland industries website is proper wank made up by the marketing people.

But i guess it's canon somehow.
Loads of people on this forum were hell-bent as citing it as canon as "proof" that the AvP movies never happened.
I'm okay with it being canon, but I'm also of the opinion that the site is intentionally meant to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. It's marketing wank, but not the way you're thinking.

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 10:19:16 PM
It has everything to do with Ridley, he is clearly not being consistent with the Alien universe like you claim.

No, you claimed Ridley ignored his own film.

Again, no need to make things up.

QuoteI love this new dynamic where I'm the one attacking canon and SM and SiL are the ones defending it, I still don't get why they can't see AVPR as canon if they're willing to jump through this many hurdles defending Prometheus though.

I guess because you're incapable of isolating your low opinion of Prometheus from the facts.

And on your continual drive to make things up, I've never found enough evidence to divorce the AvPs from Alien continuity (despite how crap they are).  At least until Prometheus completely ignored them in terms of Weyland.  And Fox is merely backing this up.

predxeno

No, I claimed Ridley ignored the Alien universe, which includes his own film.

Also, you're making quite a few things up yourself in your attempt to keep Prometheus canon.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2014, 12:19:47 AMAnd Fox is merely backing this up.
Not so sure on this one.

Also, this f**kin' thread.

predxeno

Also, if people have this low an opinion of Fox already, why are they trusting Fox with the power to decanonize titles for a massive series reboot?  Are we really that confident that Fox won't end up abusing this power somehow?

Xenomrph

We don't really get a say in the matter either way, from an "official" standpoint.

But if you don't like what FOX does, you can ignore them and do their own thing. Fans have done that for decades.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed