Adam Savage Behind the Scenes of Alien: Covenant

Started by John Doe, Apr 26, 2017, 02:10:43 PM

Author
Adam Savage Behind the Scenes of Alien: Covenant (Read 9,528 times)

John Doe

John Doe

Adam Savage visits the production of Alien: Covenant to learn how Ridley Scott and his creative collaborators bring us back into the Alien universe. In this first episode of our behind-the-scenes series, Adam tours the massive set of the Dreadnought as it's being built, painted, and weathered to life by the production team in preparation for filming!

Evanus

There's that Gigeresque hallway again!  Looks great.

Corporal Hicks

It really does look great! Nice to see some more overt looking Giger in there. Also cool it's Savage of all people on there!

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 26, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
It really does look great! Nice to see some more overt looking Giger in there. Also cool it's Savage of all people on there!
I agree very nice. 8)

A Dreadnaught?? Hmm.

acidreign

acidreign

Yeah I can't tell if he's mistakenly calling the Juggernaut the Dreadnaught, or if "Dreadnaught" is what this particular ship is called to distinguish it from the ship that crashed on LV-223.

In any case, my question about where the Giger tunnel was located seems to be settled! I wonder if that aesthetic choice has any significance, considering that the less Giger-y style of corridor is also apparently present in the same ship.

CainsSon

That's not the same set we've seen in the trailers. From the leaks, we know we dont see much of what happens bw David and Shaw on the Juggernaut.
In the trailers the inside of that set is teaming with flowing water and organic life, trees, moss, etc.

Im now wondering if Shaw doesn't escape on a Juggernaut and that's the connection to Alien, and that's what they are trying to keep a secret about Shaw.

acidreign

Hmm. I doubt that, it's probably more that they shot the flashback scenes first since the ship has to be intact for those.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

amazing

sugarhigh

Pretty sure this set is the one David is on when he bombs the engineer's and that is also transformed in to the pilot chamber.

rabidranger

Nice handshake Ridley. LOL.

cliffhanger

dreadnaught it is then. cool

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

A dreadnought (not dreadnaught) is just a generic term for a kind of battleship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought
Methinks Mr. Savage just misspoke in his obvious excitement.

Some more info on the Juggernaut set and related things:

QuoteThe film was designed with the idea that eventually you have to arrive at Alien, meaning they can't get too crazy with the technology. Covenant is between Prometheus and Alien and the aesthetic reflects that. (This is also true of the creatures.)

The aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

Covenant is also a midpoint between the scale of Prometheus and the scares of Alien. "It's got the scale of Prometheus, but also it brings in the suspense [of Alien]. The corridors get smaller, darker, and you're just wondering what's down there," said Huffam. "It kind of takes very much the best of both those worlds and combines them."

The production team carried over the engineer alphabet created for Prometheus. All the hieroglyphics actually say something, but it might be rather difficult to decode since not all the translations are in English.

The sets were built as a "LEGO kit" by which they could connect hallways to rooms with a "shared language" throughout the film so that the hallways and rooms could be redecorated and repurposed multiple times throughout the shoot. Shaw's cabin, a very small space, was shot for five different sets.

It took them 15 days to build the Juggernaut set, but they prepped it for months. Instead of building the set with traditional carpentry, the set was created in pieces by computers through a process called 6-axis milling (or machining).

Because they're going for a claustrophobic feel and Scott is shooting on anamorphic lenses, the sets had to be pretty strictly condensed. "If you can't touch the ceiling, you won't see it," said Seagers. On the bridges, the ceilings maxed out at about 2 meters.

-Collider

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Evanus on Apr 26, 2017, 02:28:27 PM
There's that Gigeresque hallway again!  Looks great.

At 2:57 over a side corridor it seems to be leading into the control room?! You can see the entrance to that side corridor on the right in that production still.

So its just an unseen a bit more Giger-esque corridor on that still generic looking Prometheus Engineer Ship(s). Disappointment i embrace ya --

edit: The side corridor seems then to be in the normal Prometheus fashion if im not totally confused now --

Infected

Rebuilding the orrery from Prometheus for Alien:Covenant is a pretty big job, must be a big scene to fully build that set for just 1 minute of footage.

Whos_Nick

I'd love to walk through those sets.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed