Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,233 times)

Nukiemorph

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 12, 2021, 11:53:55 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that Ridley really truly hates that people tend to prefer Cameron's film to his?
Ridley probably also hates the idea of anyone else playing in "his" sandbox and having more critical success than his other current films (a la Villeneuve and BR2049, i bet Ridley regrets giving that film to Denis..)
I've done a lot of Ridley defending and never liked to assume this kind of shit, but after this interview, I'm starting to agree.

Maybe he really did squash Blomkamp's film out of pettiness.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 12, 2021, 11:37:51 PM
Or because of Prometheus' rather lukewarm reception, and the fact that people just really weren't clamoring for another film following up on that one. Aliens in the "flesh" or not, Covenant is, at the end of the day, still a direct Prometheus sequel, and while Ridley definitely seems to favor Prometheus over its successor, in all actuality Prometheus rubbed a lot of the audience the wrong way for reasons that weren't just the lack of Alien.

Prometheus, on a structural level, is an absolute mess of a film. I really dig so much of the core of the movie, its ideas and concepts that it explores, but as a movie itself? It's easily the most poorly made of the six film lot, with a script that's all over the place and editing that is somehow even messier than the script. None of it really holds together under any slight scrutiny. I have a big soft spot for it because it is gorgeous and because I really dig so many of its core ideas, but most people in the general audience are just going to brush off a film as mangled as that one and I don't really blame them for doing so. Covenant, in my opinion, not only expands on Prometheus' core ideas and concepts to make them even more interesting, but is also a much more competently made film with a much tighter script and pacing that isn't headache-inducing... but at that point it was too late for the general audience. I think people just didn't care to check out another one coming directly off of Prometheus at that point, and the presence of a capital-A Alien is really neither here nor there at the end of the day for the audience at large.
Right, I could have just added "or because a lot of people didn't like Prometheus" to my list. My point is that there are a lot of factors that contributed to Covenant's financial failure - and he's insane if he blames it solely on the alien.

Quote from: Evanus on Oct 12, 2021, 03:52:40 PM
I don't really see how another David centric film would work without the aliens being there as well, after Covenant linked the two together so strongly..
This is why I've been defending the idea of him doing a third prequel. The alien narratively has to be there. I always assumed he just wanted to create new creatures and do new things in addition to the alien. I keep assuming people are taking his quotes the wrong way. But with every new interview, it becomes more clear that he's more tired of the alien than anyone.

So whatever. Go make the Gladiator sequel that even less people are asking for and let someone who actually gives a shit take over Alien.

skhellter

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Oct 13, 2021, 12:20:03 AM
Maybe he really did squash Blomkamp's film out of pettiness.

There was one interview when Covenant came out where he was asked about it and he just scoffed and smirked
"it was more of a sequel... they didn't have a script..."

Then he remembered that he probably ought to be a bit more polite and got serious again. 

:laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

I think we're all just finally fed up with his crap at this point, even the most avid of fan, and defence.

Bughuntwilson

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 12, 2021, 11:53:55 PM
Prometheus is just a dumb movie that burned people out of giving any time of day to Covenant.

Saw both films in theaters and both times the audience laughed at all the stupid shit.

Anyone else get the feeling that Ridley really truly hates that people tend to prefer Cameron's film to his?
Ridley probably also hates the idea of anyone else playing in "his" sandbox and having more critical success than his other current films (a la Villeneuve and BR2049, i bet Ridley regrets giving that film to Denis..)

It really does seem like he didn't want people in his sandbox which is strange because he really didn't create alien Dan obann did

Kimarhi

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 13, 2021, 12:36:42 AM
I think we're all just finally fed up with his crap at this point, even the most avid of fan, and defence.

You know its bad if you are getting annoyed at him.

My main counterpoint to his own argument about the franchise is that if he truly thinks it is dead with nowhere to go, WHY DOES HE KEEP WANTING TO BE INVOLVED?

Go on back to Raised by Wolves old fella. 

BlueMarsalis79

It's a collaborative work, no one person truly created it.

Kimarhi

And yet it would seem he thinks so.  He goes around peeing in the yard that other dogs have stood in. 

I've been tired of him since Prometheus was an absolute trainwreck, I'm glad everybody else is catching up and maybe with enough negative fan reaction he can be removed from future projects. 

I dont even think his other scifi is bad.  I enjoyed the Martian, and what little I've seen so far out of Raised by Wolves was interesting, I'm just tired of him in THIS franchise.   

Nightmare Asylum

I'm still down for one last outing of Old Man Ridley doing whatever odd thing comes to mind, myself. If it's good, awesome! If it's not, odds are it'll still at minimum be interesting.

And someone else is inevitably gonna come around afterwards and recontextualize it all anyways, has always happens from installment to installment in this series.

SiL

I would begrudgingly like some closure on David and the origin of the Alien now we're here.

Kimarhi

Don't encourage this anarchy!

Riddles is the Joker lighting fire to all that is sane in the Alienverse.

Bughuntwilson

Ridley said the beast is done so it sounds like he dosnt want a alien in a alien movie

Stitch

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 13, 2021, 02:58:33 AM
Don't encourage this anarchy!

Riddles is the Joker lighting fire to all that is sane in the Alienverse.
Can't make that comparison. Joker lied when he said he had no plan. Ridley just has no plan!

skhellter

give the 3rd David film to.. Villeneuve.  :laugh:

(then Ridley would truly die of a salt overdose)

Bughuntwilson

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 13, 2021, 03:15:55 AM
give the 3rd David film to.. Villeneuve.  :laugh:

(then Ridley would truly die of a salt overdose)
He didn't like blade runner 2048?

Evanus

Boy does it suck being a fan of Prometheus and Covenant.

Anyway if we never see David again that would be the biggest waste of a character ever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed