Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 212,588 times)

Evanus

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 12, 2021, 02:49:48 PM
And with that my desire to see a final prequel's completely gone.
If anything I'm less excited for the tv show. Still hoping it'll be good, but it's hard to really care at this point.

I wonder how it can be "right up Scott's street", when he doesn't really seem to care about it so far.

BlueMarsalis79

It makes no difference to how I feel about the TV Series, just Ridley.

Right up Scott's street?

Nightmare Asylum

Ridley's nonchalant attitude in the interview does seem very in keeping with, well, a lot of his interviews in the last few years. His own specific way of playing coy and teasing the interviewer. :D

That said, I can't imagine a possibility where anything - be it this show, another prequel helmed by Scott, or any other material in the franchise - is as good as Alien, so his words aren't entirely untrue. They don't really have any baring on my level of excitement for this series (or my expectations regarding his level of involvement), since so much of what he says in interviews is that unique brand of Old Man Ridley hyperbole anyways.

Evanus

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 12, 2021, 08:52:06 AM

"I never showed an alien in it" – it still made $404 million at the box office – "and the studio ... said, 'See, it didn't do so well!' Really?" He returned with 2017's Alien: Covenant, "put the aliens back in there", and the film made much less: $240m worldwide. "When you've got a marvellous beast, it does wear out and you have to actually think again."

It's this part that makes me realize I'm not interested, because I personally don't want another Prometheus where he goes back on all the narrative strides he made, and makes another film that ultimately says and does nothing.

Evanus

I think it's clear Scott isn't interested in doing another one with more aliens, which is a shame. I don't really see how another David centric film would work without the aliens being there as well, after Covenant linked the two together so strongly.. So I guess it's pretty much over.

I'm still looking forward to the show, don't get me wrong, I'm just sad we're probably never getting a proper conclusion to the prequels.  :-\

Nukiemorph

I still want closure and I want the prequels to stay canon, but this pisses me off.

Take it away from him.

Casually establish that the aliens existed before David, have a flashback or some ancillary material hint at how he met his destruction, then move on to new things.

Some Old Dude

Ridley's just being a troll as always. Sounds like the real question people should ask him is when will we see David again.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

f**king interviewers never ask interesting questions.

Ridley FW:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Ridley bothers me because there isn't an overall plan in that noggin of his.  He just gets the rights to do an alien movie and f**kin wings it.  It drives me up the wall and I personally would be happy if his involvement in the franchise is over.

BUT that is the most Ridley Scott quote ever and fits in with all his other franchise quotes prometheus onwards so I wouldn't take anything he says about the franchise seriously until it is actually on screen for visual consumption. 

Nightmare Asylum

Reminder that Ridley Scott's list of top 5 sci-fi movies includes both Alien and Blade Runner. :D

Nukiemorph

He seriously has it in his head that Covenant did poorly because people are bored of the alien.

Not because people don't want the alien explained,
or because his explanation was too bold for most people,
or because people are nitpicky about helmets,
or because people are grumpy that Shaw got Newted,
or because the movie came out during summer in between Wonder Woman and Pirates 5.

No, it must be because the stupid studio made him include the greatest movie monster of all time. Sure.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 12, 2021, 11:17:50 PM
Reminder that Ridley Scott's list of top 5 sci-fi movies includes both Alien and Blade Runner. :D

I mean, where's the lie?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Oct 12, 2021, 11:22:26 PM
He seriously has it in his head that Covenant did poorly because people are bored of the alien.

Not because people don't want the alien explained,
or because his explanation was too bold for most people,
or because people are nitpicky about helmets,
or because people are grumpy that Shaw got Newted,
or because the movie came out during summer in between Wonder Woman and Pirates 5.

No, it must be because the stupid studio made him include the greatest movie monster of all time. Sure.

Or because of Prometheus' rather lukewarm reception, and the fact that people just really weren't clamoring for another film following up on that one. Aliens in the "flesh" or not, Covenant is, at the end of the day, still a direct Prometheus sequel, and while Ridley definitely seems to favor Prometheus over its successor, in all actuality Prometheus rubbed a lot of the audience the wrong way for reasons that weren't just the lack of Alien.

Prometheus, on a structural level, is an absolute mess of a film. I really dig so much of the core of the movie, its ideas and concepts that it explores, but as a movie itself? It's easily the most poorly made of the six film lot, with a script that's all over the place and editing that is somehow even messier than the script. None of it really holds together under any slight scrutiny. I have a big soft spot for it because it is gorgeous and because I really dig so many of its core ideas, but most people in the general audience are just going to brush off a film as mangled as that one and I don't really blame them for doing so. Covenant, in my opinion, not only expands on Prometheus' core ideas and concepts to make them even more interesting, but is also a much more competently made film with a much tighter script and pacing that isn't headache-inducing... but at that point it was too late for the general audience. I think people just didn't care to check out another one coming directly off of Prometheus at that point, and the presence of a capital-A Alien is really neither here nor there at the end of the day for the audience at large.

skhellter

skhellter

Prometheus is just a dumb movie that burned people out of giving any time of day to Covenant.

Saw both films in theaters and both times the audience laughed at all the stupid shit.

Anyone else get the feeling that Ridley really truly hates that people tend to prefer Cameron's film to his?
Ridley probably also hates the idea of anyone else playing in "his" sandbox and having more critical success than his other current films (a la Villeneuve and BR2049, i bet Ridley regrets giving that film to Denis..)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed