The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

Do you think they should make another AVP film?

Yes, continuing from the previous films.
Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity)
No, they should be kept seperate.
No, the  AVP movies messed up the franchise.
Not sure/maybe.
Author
The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise (Read 23,176 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Marvel? Yes.

Disney? No.

The Cruentus

Long as its aimed at the right audience, I would rather not have a pg-13, marvel like movie or a self aware (also marvel like movie) parody that was r rated.

I know film making is not easy, not by a longshot since there is so many obstacles to overcome (such as an interfering studio) but surely it is easy to find a concept or formula that works and stick to it, don't fix what's not broken. Also don't ever pander to the wider audience because that is just greedy, Alien/Aliens and Predator proved you can get a large fanbase on a r-rating and nice profit from that.

I need to stop drinking.

....but I won't.

Huntsman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 18, 2018, 12:03:01 PM
It's definitely worked better in the other mediums but I still hope to God we'll get a good AvP film one day. I genuinely think they do it.
If they had a good concept I'd be all for it. A bad Alien or Predator film is a huge kick in the guts for us because we know the franchise is on the edge as it is.

Huggs

Quote from: Huntsman on Oct 24, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
A bad Alien or Predator film is a huge kick in the guts

The last two aimed lower...and hit.

Huntsman

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 25, 2018, 03:52:36 AM
Quote from: Huntsman on Oct 24, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
A bad Alien or Predator film is a huge kick in the guts

The last two aimed lower...and hit.
:-[

The Cruentus

I can agree with that, while I enjoyed covenant, it is definitely not the film I wanted to see and Predators was a joke, I had some enjoyment out of that but it was too much "resurrection" for my tastes.
When you got two films like that, it makes you wonder where do they go from there, I want to see Ridley finish the trilogy since I hate things lacking resolution but I am not sure what is going to happen for Predator.

When I went to watch it, there was like only 5-7 peeps in the theatre  :laugh:

I think in order for an AVP film concept to become viable again is for everything to go right in the next intallment of the medias, from books, comics to games and individual films.

windebieste

I think the 'AvP' movies are more or less their own separate Universe, now. 

I'd be happy to see another movie made in that established Universe.  There's a cool starting point to bring a 3rd movie into production and that's with the Queen emerging from the ocean to take up residence on the mainlaind of a populated country and it starts a hive under a large metropolis. 

It's obvious the movie would have to be cheaply made to be a success.  Throw too much money at it and it becomes a big risk.  Low budget action movie with Aliens in a big city is a great way to conclude this current series.  As I envision such a movie to be influenced heavily by 'THEM!', which was all desert and drain pipes, that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah.  I'd love to see an 'AvP' movie along those lines.  Then be done with it.  One last underground battle with Aliens and troops in jeeps with a Predator thrown in for good measure.  Go watch 'THEM!'.  It's basically 'ALIENS on Earth', anyway.  Update that scenario.  I'm good with that.

-Windebieste.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 25, 2018, 10:07:13 PMI think the 'AvP' movies are more or less their own separate Universe, now.

According to Wikipedia they have a seperate page called "The AVP franchise" and even designated the original Paul W S Anderson AVP logo as the "franchises" identity seperate from ALIEN, PREDATOR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_vs._Predator

Not sure who sanctioned this or felt they had a position of authority to declare it.

As far as your "THEM!" idea for ALIENS VS PREDATOR 3 I just don't buy it.

Imo this is why I disliked the "plot/setting" for AVP and AVP-R. It inferred the PREDATOR had the Xenomorphs under control. Whereas ALIENS- BOOK ONE (comic graphic novel) by Mark Verheiden was more accurate in the implications of ALIENS on earth.

Also it pissed on the whole point of the Ellen Ripley fears of a Xenomorph getting to Earth and wiping out civilisation. And we know escape ships wouldn't be the answer leaving an infected planet as ALIEN attested.
As littlejimmy said in his AVP (2004) review saying "(In AVP-2004) ALIENS have been depicted being on earth for thousands of years and nothing bad ever came of it". So it makes the whole actions of Ripley (including sacrificing herself in ALIEN 3) seem pointless.
Heck Sigourney Weaver admitted she made ALIEN 3 for two reasons
a- she didn't want ALIENS on a futuristic Blade Runner style Earth setting, claiming it would be boring.
b- she absolutely hated the idea of PREDATOR in an ALIEN movie.

Considering 20th Century Fox had designs on both (proved by News articles I still have in my ALIENS UK magazine) it all makes sense now.

Rather than keeping the plot and setting down. Just make it in a far corner of futuristic space, seperate company from Weyland.

SM

'Nothing bad ever came of it' because the Predators contained the infestations.

Accepting that thousands of people wiped out in instant doesn't count as 'bad'...

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 25, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
I think the 'AvP' movies are more or less their own separate Universe, now. 

-Windebieste.

Yeah, particularly the Strause-verse. It was a dark dream after AVP :)

SM

Strause-verse = Anderson-verse.

The Old One

The Old One

AVP-Verse

AVP + AVPR + AVP 2010

skull-splitter

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 28, 2018, 11:04:45 PM
AVP-Verse

AVP + AVPR + AVP 2010
God, how I hated the heavily used AvP designs in that game...

The Cruentus

The Alien designs were not too bad in 2010, they were not accurate to Cameron's but were at least more biomechanical than the ones in the AVP movies. Which is better than nothing. I hated how weak they were in some areas though, physically they should have been the toughest, but you can get knocked on your ass by a marine with a gunbutt.. Their posture isn't very intimidating either.

The Old One

The Old One

I enjoyed them,  it's a very gaunt design, very biomechanical design but also clearly proportionally influenced by the further angular design work of ADI on Resurrection, AVP and AVPR.

Applied to AVP 2010's
versions of the Aliens design, AlienĀ³ design and the PredAlien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed