Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,310 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2019, 02:44:55 AM
The new Star Wars films get trashed almost constantly here.  It's not difficult to just generally avoid reading that thread. 

Well, as someone once said...

"When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger."

So, I agree. There are threads that it is better to avoid for a while.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2019, 03:59:11 AM
Specifically there has been psychological studies how negativity can be toxic to others. If one can withstand it, good on them. But I believe if anyone looks for all the answers in one's own mind, as a construct of one-size-fits-all set rules, one will never find them.

I have seen people who feel the need to transmit their hate for things to others here at AVP Galaxy. Yes, it is very toxic. It's as if they were experiencing some kind of sadistic pleasure while harassing people or something, and it must be reported immediately. But I believe that one has to have healthy self-esteem without falling into egocentrism. No one is perfect, and there is nothing wrong with making mistakes or in liking something that others hate. Even if the one who hates that thing you like is somehow important to you. Just my opinion of course.             

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 11, 2019, 03:59:47 AM

I have seen people who feel the need to transmit their hate for things to others here at AVP Galaxy. Yes, it is very toxic. It's as if they were experiencing some kind of sadistic pleasure while harassing people or something, and it must be reported immediately. But I believe that one has to have healthy self-esteem without falling into egocentrism. No one is perfect, and there is nothing wrong with making mistakes or in liking something that others hate. Even if the one who hates that thing you like is somehow important to you. Just my opinion of course.             

Cheers.  :)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 11, 2019, 04:20:47 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 11, 2019, 03:59:47 AM

Cheers.  :)

I know it is not easy, but sometimes it is better to avoid toxic discussions and not give too much importance to the opinions of others. Especially when such words come from hostile people.  :)

SM

Toxicity is easier to avoid online, and while the comparison between workplace harassment/ domestic abuse and someone trashing a movie you like, is asinine, granted yes, escaping toxicity in real life can be much more difficult, and something I had not originally considered.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah. There is no excuse for not doing it online (avoid a thread that became a shit hole), and the site itself makes it easier for you (ignore button). But as you have said, it's more complicated when it comes to real life. But it is very helpful, nonetheless.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2019, 04:39:13 AM
Toxicity is easier to avoid online, and while the comparison between workplace harassment/ domestic abuse and someone trashing a movie you like, is asinine, granted yes, escaping toxicity in real life can be much more difficult, and something I had not originally considered.

Reported.

SiL

... why would you report that? Likening trashing a movie to freakin' domestic abuse is asinine. ???

Corporal Hicks

I've got to agree. Lets cool down and stop taking everything personal.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2019, 11:17:17 AM
... why would you report that? Likening trashing a movie to freakin' domestic abuse is asinine. ???

SiL. This is the one time I reply to this with you. Anyone can see without an agenda that I was making a general larger statement about people not psychological and philosophical cut from the same cookie-cutter, with numerous examples. It is unacceptable to still come at me with insults.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2019, 11:19:17 AM
I've got to agree. Lets cool down and stop taking everything personal.

The suggestion is I cool down, based on what you see in this thread Hicks?

SiL

He didn't "come at you" with an insult, but. He called an asinine comparison an asinine comparison.

Calling you asinine would be an insult.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2019, 11:50:27 AM
He didn't "come at you" with an insult, but. He called an asinine comparison an asinine comparison.

Calling you asinine would be an insult.

Ok brothers SiL&SM, removing context and picking something like this out and calling it a comparison, to find some fictitious higher ground is juvenille, amatuer, idiotic, and asinine.

Corporal Hicks

Enough already. Everyone needs to stop attempting to antagonizing each other. There's no need for it. Please don't make me lock this.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 11, 2019, 03:59:48 AM
"When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger."

Sounds more like digging your heels in, when maybe you should consider "What if they're correct and I'm incorrect?" Then look at the evidence.

In the case of Prometheus I was wrong, it isn't excellently written and there's no deeper, hidden meaning in it's writing- the way that realisation was brought about was kind of toxic- but the reality itself is enlightening not obfuscating.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 11, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
In the case of Prometheus I was wrong, it isn't excellently written and there's no deeper, hidden meaning in it's writing- the way that realisation was brought about was kind of toxic- but the reality itself is enlightening not obfuscating.

So when you say "I was wrong", is it solely for thinking Prometheus was more than what it was? Or was it more broader than that, as in you were wrong for liking it?

And was there a time you preferred Prometheus over Covenant?

The Old One

The Old One

No, this was before Covenant existed.

No, not for loving it but subsequently it impacted that love of it, narratively. I thought I understood Prometheus on a "deeper level" than others.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed