Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,945 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:22:52 AM
Colin said it killed her because he didn't want the PredAlien to just impregnate women the whole film.

Didn't want? So why not show that it can impregnate non-pregnant women?

This movie needs some headcanon to work.

SM

I hadn't really thought about the Alien numbers in AvP:R.  Can't imagine why...

There's six huggers on crashed ship, two get Buddy and Sam and another two get the two homeless guys.  There looks to be at least one dead one on the ship.

So four Aliens, plus maybe 3 or 4 more from the homeless lady?  One more at the least.  Minimum 5, maximum 8.

Wolf kills two in the sewer leaving minimum of 3 plus Chet.  Carrie gets egg barfed meaning 4 more.  National Guard hits two at least (dunno if they're killed). Wolf kills 1 at the pool and 3 or 4 I think at the department store.  Once the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) gets to the maternity ward, there's at least another dozen Aliens born.  Wolf sees three going to the hospital.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 12:40:28 AM

You clearly need to devote more resources toward AvPR analysis.

Samhain13

If all the scenes with the waitress and pregnant women were placed earlier it would at least explain the amount of aliens we see against the National Guard, at the shop and at the hospital. But never how a town of that size was overrun so fast, the people at the center of the town were implied to getting surrounded by them, so there must have been more like a dozen trying to kill that group. Heck they did on a few hours what took days for the Aliens to do on Hadley's Hope and on a bigger scale.  The Strauses seems to have left the good alien moments off-screen.

There's six huggers on crashed ship, two get Buddy and Sam and another two get the two homeless guys.  There looks to be at least one dead one on the ship.

Buddy kills one. Another died at the crash? I'm not seeing it. Hmm... Wolf would have spotted it at the ship. Wouldn't need to get the liquid to find out what the pods were carrying.

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 08, 2019, 12:27:59 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:22:52 AM
Colin said it killed her because he didn't want the PredAlien to just impregnate women the whole film.

Didn't want? So why not show that it can impregnate non-pregnant women?
On second thoughts that might've been the case.

Not that you can see the f**k's going on anyway:

Huggs

If the growth rate was similar to that in Covenant, then Chet should not have a problem creating an overwhelming force in a matter of hours.

Of course, how many aliens are really necessary to overwhelm a population who's probably less armed and aware than would be preferred for that sort of situation?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:52:39 AM
On second thoughts that might've been the case.

I guess that will be my headcanon.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:52:39 AM
Not that you can see the f**k's going on anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XuIs8s--Y

Haha it looks a little brigher on the bluray file I got but yeah it sucks. Not just the lighting, some shots of the movie are from a position that makes some scenes even worse to see.

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 08, 2019, 12:56:54 AM
Of course, how many aliens are really necessary to overwhelm a population who's probably less armed and aware than would be preferred for that sort of situation?

Issue isn't that they ovewhelm but how fast, what's the average population of a city? Hundred thousands? How many the aliens would they need to kill for it to be considered overrun? They must have been killing like 1 person per minute(minimum) to make people believe the city was done for that fast.

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 08, 2019, 12:56:54 AM
If the growth rate was similar to that in Covenant, then Chet should not have a problem creating an overwhelming force in a matter of hours.
The first of the new batch of Aliens are only popping up when the town is being overrun, that's the issue here. Waitress was the first out of the sewer, so hers are the first to be born. Next minute, the town is in chaos.

SM

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 08, 2019, 12:50:46 AM
If all the scenes with the waitress and pregnant women were placed earlier it would at least explain the amount of aliens we see against the National Guard, at the shop and at the hospital. But never how a town of that size was overrun so fast, the people at the center of the town were implied to getting surrounded by them, so there must have been more like a dozen trying to kill that group. Heck they did on a few hours what took days for the Aliens to do on Hadley's Hope and on a bigger scale.  The Strauses seems to have left the good alien moments off-screen.

Buddy kills one. Another died at the crash? I'm not seeing it. Hmm... Wolf would have spotted it at the ship. Wouldn't need to get the liquid to find out what the pods were carrying.

I forgot one got shot.

When Wolf checks on the dead Predator you can see a dead hugger in a smashed tube (and again in Predavision when he follows a trail indicating some escaped).

As for the homeless lady, I just assumed she was egg barfed as part of the setup for the pay off in the hospital.  The Alien gets comically backhanded and PredAlien (etc.) approaches her, then lunges.  With Carrie we see it look at her belly, then lunges at her, then with the pregnant lady in the hospital we see everything.

Gunnison's population is in the 5000-6000 ballpark (which was reflected in one of the trailers which I can't find).

The initial gestation/ growth in AvP:R for the huggers for Buddy and Sam didn't have any issues.  Later, not so much...

Huggs

Huggs

It's possible that there were entire sections of town devoid of human presence not just due to death and kidnapping, but also hiding and early escaped. The aliens might still not have completely overrun the entire town by the time Dallas and Co. get to the hospital. People who are hiding or far away from the characters are unlikely to have the time or inclination to make themselves known. We're also talking about a population under evacuation. There are no corridors, these victims are likely unarmed and in the open. Easy pickin's for xenos, especially if they're just killing people outright.

Then again, the predators were still alive in AVP1 during the flashback when the entire city was flooded up to the pyramid with aliens. So it couldn't have taken them long there either. To go from a handful to thousands, is the AVP way.

Plus we have to factor in a certain amount of suspending common sense for the sake of fun. It is a monster mashup movie afterall.

SiL

There is the evacuation of the town, but the point is the police station is getting overrun seconds after the waitress finally bursts, which is right at the start of the evacuation. Moments later, cars are abandoned and the town is apparently overrun with Aliens.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 01:16:02 AM
When Wolf checks on the dead Predator you can see a dead hugger in a smashed tube (and again in Predavision when he follows a trail indicating some escaped).

You are right. Its just before Wolf analysis the liquid. 22min49s of the unrated cut. Can't believe I didn't notice, it stays on the screen for almost 10 seconds. I'm suprised the hugger died.

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 01:16:02 AM
Gunnison's population is in the 5000-6000 ballpark (which was reflected in one of the trailers which I can't find).

Oh the green band trailer. I had forgotten about that one.

5476 people. That makes things a little easier than I thought.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 01:31:37 AM
There is the evacuation of the town, but the point is the police station is getting overrun seconds after the waitress finally bursts, which is right at the start of the evacuation. Moments later, cars are abandoned and the town is apparently overrun with Aliens.

Ah, that's just bad writing is all.

Then again, if traffic was going nowhere and Aliens were coming, I'd hotfoot it out of there too.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

So four Aliens, plus maybe 3 or 4 more from the homeless lady?  One more at the least.  Minimum 5, maximum 8.

Wolf kills two in the sewer leaving minimum of 3 plus Chet.  Carrie gets egg barfed meaning 4 more.  National Guard hits two at least (dunno if they're killed). Wolf kills 1 at the pool and 3 or 4 I think at the department store.  Once the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) gets to the maternity ward, there's at least another dozen Aliens born.  Wolf sees three going to the hospital.

Five huggers are initially alive if I remembering right, Buddy killed one so only four remained. Two got Buddy and Sam, the other two got the homeless guys. The homeless woman gets egg barfed. So eight aliens plus Chet, assuming that the homeless woman was egg barfed.

EDIT: whoops. someone already mentioned it.

As for gestation/implantion, it does initially seem to take longer than the first avp, but they are still chestbursted seconds after waking.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:15:30 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 12:14:11 AM
Much of the infestations was going on behind the scenes.  Like that decently long graveyard scene with Kelly and Molly. You hear yelling, screams, gun shots, etc. all in the background, suggesting so much more going on all over town.
With all of like 3 adult Aliens at the time. The belly bursters aren't born until the power goes out, which is like one or two scenes before. They did a really shit job of establishing the Alien infestation spreading.

(keep in mind the waitress was the first one impregnated after they escaped the sewers, so would've been the first to burst. Any others Chet might've got would still be gestating.)

No one here is suggesting there aren't plot holes or AVPR is a brilliantly written film, especially with the genesis of the Alien infestation.

But when I mention during that long graveyard scene with Kelly and Molly, the guy from the power plant, and the Wolf in the tree repairing itself, you hear yelling, screams, gun shots, sirens, for a long time in the background through this entire scene. This demonstrates more is going on off-camera all over town. So understanding that, it's easy to extrapolate that the Pred-Alien didn't suddenly take a siesta for a portion of the film, but did what he did to waitress Carrie to multiple people.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed