Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2 (Read 68,041 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 11, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
Quote from: Tonyhartmorph on Jul 11, 2017, 01:22:23 AM
A followup to Prometheus was green lit a few months before Blomkamp uploaded his work to Instagram, I find it highly unlikely that Blomkamp didn't know that Scott had mentioned even before Prometheus was released he'd expressed interest in making a new series of films.

And Blomkamp made his pitch to Fox "a few months" before uploading the concept art to Instagram. But it's neither here nor there, Blomkamp had no interest in making a Prometheus sequel whatsoever. He wanted to make an alternative Aliens sequel. There would have been no conflict with Scott's Prometheus series.

QuoteIf you believe what you say, then what purpose would it have served for Blomkamp to put his art out there if he had already had talks with Fox and they dismissed the idea of Alien 5? For all intents and purposes his shit stirring got the pot up to a rolling boil didn't it then?

Fox didn't say no to him. He was unsure whether he still wanted to do it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2017, 01:43:00 PM
Considering how little we actually know of that Blomkamp wanted - outside of seeing some aesthetic return from Aliens and his comments about how Alien: Isolation influenced him - it's impossible to say with any definiteness.

He's doing an AMA on Reddit this Thursday @ 9AM PDT. Why not ask him yourself?

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/884793849423421440

The Eighth Passenger would make a great title for the 8th Alien film.

They should make 1 more of Ridley's prequel films (PART 7) and immediately greenlight this movie "the 8th Passenger," directed by Blomkamp, where Ripley 8 (without referencing her Super powers much) encounters David, on board a W-Y Space Station orbiting Earth, where he intends to unleash his "perfect organism" - 'The Eighth Passenger' onto mankind. The twist is David is there to 'sell' his xeno-stuff to WY's weapons division and Ripley knows he is up to no good - breeding xeno's on the Space Station to destroy mankind. He tortures her and stuff to stop her from revealing his plans, and WY tries to silence her etc, before all hell breaks loose.

What good about a concept like this, is you can basically make it Alien 5 without referencing A:R directly. I also love the idea of David 8 meeting Ripley 8 and The Eighth Passenger all on board a WY Headquarters Space Station.

Waves flag

Im a writer FOX! HIRE ME!!!!

FenGiddel

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Jul 11, 2017, 01:37:47 PM
SM and Hicks-please let Fox know there are people who really, really want to see Neil's ALIEN V.
Yes, please.  And a bunny and Tinkertoys and...  ;)

Huggs

While I'd prefer to see the franchise move back towards the timeline of the first 2 movies, I'd really like to know where N.B. was going with his script. Elysium was just way too political, and I wouldn't want to sit through some 90 minute long political statement from him and weaver. Here's what I'd be worried about

Movies are just another form of story telling. If you don't have a good story, you don't have people's attention. The original movies were well written. Modern Film Makers have the tools and technology to realize almost anything they want, but without a good script, they have nothing.

My opinion of where they should go? Cancel the 3rd prequel immediately. Let it be written by A.D.F. instead. Get Fincher back to direct Vincent Ward's version of Alien 3, or possibly get Cameron to do Gibson's script. Twohy's script can be used as a stand alone film in the future. Fincher wouldn't be a bad choice for that one either. None of it is likely to happen, but when I read those old scripts, I can't help but feel that is where it all went off track. What a waste.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 11, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
He's doing an AMA on Reddit this Thursday @ 9AM PST (4PM GMT). Why not ask him yourself?

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/884793849423421440

As good as a time as any to try and get some more info! Might be worth a few of us posting up some questions!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

SM and Hicks-please let Fox know there are people who really, really want to see Neil's ALIEN V.

Even, let's say if Fox goes to Blomkamp and says "here's 60 million bucks, make ALIEN V" there's no doubt whatsoever that he can do it.

Hear, hear!  I am adding my voice to this.  If there is influence to be had with FOX, I am one of many who support Neil Blomkamp's Alien V film.  Its cancellation overshadows the disappointment of the David is the creator of Aliens aspect of the Alien:Covenant.

So here is my first question to Neil Blomkamp:

If Fox were to change their mind about Alien V, are you still on board?

PierreVW

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2017, 05:41:02 PM
While I'd prefer to see the franchise move back towards the timeline of the first 2 movies, I'd really like to know where N.B. was going with his script. Elysium was just way too political, and I wouldn't want to sit through some 90 minute long political statement from him and weaver. Here's what I'd be worried about

Movies are just another form of story telling. If you don't have a good story, you don't have people's attention. The original movies were well written. Modern Film Makers have the tools and technology to realize almost anything they want, but without a good script, they have nothing.

My opinion of where they should go? Cancel the 3rd prequel immediately. Let it be written by A.D.F. instead. Get Fincher back to direct Vincent Ward's version of Alien 3, or possibly get Cameron to do Gibson's script. Twohy's script can be used as a stand alone film in the future. Fincher wouldn't be a bad choice for that one either. None of it is likely to happen, but when I read those old scripts, I can't help but feel that is where it all went off track. What a waste.

Recently, James Cameron said he isn't interested in the ALIEN franchise.

The same with David Fincher. ALI3NS was his first movie and Fincher hated the process.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 11, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

Even, let's say if Fox goes to Blomkamp and says "here's 60 million bucks, make ALIEN V" there's no doubt whatsoever that he can do it.

I dont think Im coming out of left field here to NOTE that making Blomkamp's ALIEN film next is a very risky move for them.
There are PROS - Ripley mostly.
But the CONS (right now) are very big.

For instance, the next 'ALIEN' film will be viewed by casual audience members as a sequel to ALIEN: COVENANT, and there is just no way around that.
This franchise's BIGGEST obstacle for audiences right now, is it's indiscernible continuity... Making the sequel to Alien: Covenant be a sequel to Aliens that retcons ALIEN 3 and 4 is NOT A SMART MOVE for this studio with this franchise where it is.

I suppose you could also say that any film that brings Ripley back is a path forward, toward making money and in that way is more bankable to the franchise that a Covenant sequel, but it's a tough thing to explain. The PRESS would be loaded with complicated explanations that would make the series sound like an absolute mess.

Ironically, had they made PARADISE a more direct sequel to PROMETHEUS/ AKA PROMETHEUS 2, this would NOT have been a problem. Once again, they HAD the right idea, and then dropped the ball. They should have made PROMETHEUS 2 and BLOMKAMP'S FILM, like they'd intended. Now its harder to manage the PR.

Im being objective here. Its not that I wouldnt be lining up to see it personally, but this community isn't enough.

As of now, from a business perspective, Blomkamp's ALIEN is a problem BECAUSE of COVENANT. Im not saying they wont take this risk, but I think this is a primary and serious reason why it is unlikely. Or at least, something the studio will seriously struggle with.

They need to wrangle this together NEXT, without question. The franchise is losing it's marbles because its all over the place and impenetrable to casual audiences.

If you look at it this way, a film linking COVENANT to ALIEN is the only logical next move. Its unfortunate but at this point Im betting FOX is going to demand a very simple film that links ALIEN to COVENANT and may even involve RIPLEY'S LINEAGE somehow, hoping they can make a stew that doesn't involve people needing to have seen COVENANT - and that is also a big problem.

Linking DAVID to RIPLEY cheaply is the most logical route. DAVID can just live and live - -

This is the sobering reality.

SM

A petition got launched over 5 months ago, and it's still yet to reach 5000 signatures.  I'm not seeing a massive amount of evidence that people "really, really want" this.

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jul 11, 2017, 05:33:22 PM
Yes, please.  And a bunny and Tinkertoys and...  ;)

Have you been good this year, young man?

Huggs

"Recently, James Cameron said he isn't interested in the ALIEN franchise.

The same with David Fincher. ALI3NS was his first movie and Fincher hated the process. "

Indeed they did. I also remember scott saying the beast was cooked with an orange in its mouth. I also never thought I'd see another Alien film after resurrection. Stranger things have happened. Good gracious, I never thought Cameron would've gone goo-gaws over genisys.

It was just my opinion. I enjoy the dark and gritty/claustrophobic style of fincher's films, and I respect what he was trying to do with Alien 3. Ward's script was very interesting and I just think Fincher would be a good choice to do it. The same with Cameron doing Gibson's script, it's more suited to his talents. Cameron can do really big stuff, which is what's called for, and he made Aliens, which is good enough qualifications for me.

In the end, it doesn't much matter what gets made or doesn't get made from here. The first films gave most people exactly what they wanted, and the good movies that didn't get made are available to read, and that's enough to be thankful for.

Alionic

I sincerely hope SM and Hicks encourage Fox to greenlight the Covenant sequel.  ;D : ;)

tleilaxu

I had no idea SM and Hicks were high-up lever pullers at Fox. Now that I know, consider this post my formal request for more embryos. They can be human or otherwise, I just need more embryos.

SM

QuoteI had no idea SM and Hicks were high-up lever pullers at Fox.

Funny about that...

PierreVW

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2017, 11:35:02 PM
"Recently, James Cameron said he isn't interested in the ALIEN franchise.

The same with David Fincher. ALI3NS was his first movie and Fincher hated the process. "

Indeed they did. I also remember scott saying the beast was cooked with an orange in its mouth. I also never thought I'd see another Alien film after resurrection. Stranger things have happened. Good gracious, I never thought Cameron would've gone goo-gaws over genisys.

It was just my opinion. I enjoy the dark and gritty/claustrophobic style of fincher's films, and I respect what he was trying to do with Alien 3. Ward's script was very interesting and I just think Fincher would be a good choice to do it. The same with Cameron doing Gibson's script, it's more suited to his talents. Cameron can do really big stuff, which is what's called for, and he made Aliens, which is good enough qualifications for me.

In the end, it doesn't much matter what gets made or doesn't get made from here. The first films gave most people exactly what they wanted, and the good movies that didn't get made are available to read, and that's enough to be thankful for.

In general, I agree with you.

But the ALIEN franchise is dying at the box office. ALIEN: COVENANT kind of flopped.

I really doubt A-Listers like JC and DF are interested in a dying franchise.

ROBIN HOOD(2010) flopped at the box office. I think that's the only reason why an A-Lister like Ridley Scott accepted the offer of PROMETHEUS(3D). Scott needed a return to Sci-Fi to regain some of his power and some of his money.

Perfect-Organism

I think probably the best Fox could do is to move forward with Blomkamp's film, but to tie it into the prequel series in a way that doesn't spoil the next prequel, but rather acknowledges it and builds up excitement for it.  The simple way to do that is to leave Blomkamp's film on a cliffhanger which features David coming in at the very end of the film.  This would create interest for Ridley Scott's next prequel, without giving away anything that happens in it (other than David's survival), and it would also pave the way for a continuation of Blomkamp's film.

tleilaxu

Which David? The original David or a clone of him made 200 years after his death for the sole purpose of recovering crucial information pertaining to the bonus situation?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed