AvPGalaxy Podcast #50 - Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 08, 2017, 12:19:51 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #50 - Alien: Covenant (Read 15,018 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 50th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode sees regular podcast hosts Omegamorph, RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and I discuss Alien: Covenant in great detail!

Clocking in at just over 3 hours, our 50th episode is probably our longest and we go into Alien: Covenant in some depth. We discuss elements of the film that worked for us, elements that didn’t and provide our over all impressions. And I’m sure there’s still plenty more we could have talked about!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. We hope you enjoy!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

BonesawT101

Listening now and loving it so far, as per usual!

banecat

banecat

shall start this shortly as i work away, hurrah for podcasts

CainsSon

CainsSon

I want to agree with Hicks here about who is to blame for the soup with A:C. Ridley wanted to focus on David and it was the studio who sorta forced his hand with the Alien. I followed along pretty closely and this is the impression that I got. Scott is just playing ball with the studio and trying to tell the story he wants to tell while also doing this.
Whether you agree with the idea of having the alien or not is subjective, I guess. But I think its wrong to blame to Scott. It does seem like it was Fox who forced Scott to add the Alien to Prometheus 2.

I also agree with whoever said that the worst part of this, is that PROMETHEUS warranted the straight forward PROMETHEUS 2 and ALIEN 5 (Blomkamp's film) as well. The should have just let Ridley make PROMETHEUS 2 and made ALIEN 5 at once.

oduodu

"Prometheus covenant should be a separate continuity"

Completely agree

"David ruined David"

Yes . What's up with his motivation?

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think that the Sexual frustration of David does make a lot of sense. David is mad that humanity has created him to serve them, and he wants to be better than them. He wants to be superior, but the one thing that makes him INFERIOR to humans is that he cannot PROCREATE. He wants to create as all that came before him, and he is jealous of the human ability to create - so the idea is the role SEXUALITY plays in creation frustrates him, because he cannot PROCREATE. He cannot MATE and he is refusing to accept that. This is the basis of his relationship with Shaw. He wants her to be his WIFE and HIS MATE but in order to create with her he had to kill her. THATS WHY HE KILLED HER. Because he doesnt understand how mating and love interconnect. He is refusing to accept that he cannot PERFORM the way humans do and PROCREATE. He is also depicted as refusing to accept that he cannot love.

He wants to see humanity destroyed because humanity AND the Engineers believe its acceptable to 'PERFECT' their creations by making them more SUBSERVIENT. He wants to wipe us out and the engineers because he knows they each believe that to perfect its creations means to make them have LESS FREE WILL.

This is the best part of the Prequels to me, because they raise this question as to why we dont see it as evil to tinker with and 'perfect' our own creations but if something wants to do that to us, we think its evil. We think its evil that the Engineers want to start over but we see no problem doing that to our androids. Thats the point and I dig it.

oduodu

oduodu

"what was the point if turning the space jockeys in this bald dudes and then not exploring that"

Exactly.

Shite damn I wished they went with necronomicon 4 .

"The alien is part of something larger - a component of a weapons system "

Love this . Absolutely love it.

426Buddy

Im about an hour in and i must say this episode is amazingly harsh on the film. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 so i didnt think it was amazing myself but this is just so negative.

This episode makes the Prometheus podcast seem like it was full of high praise.

GrimmVision

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 08, 2017, 09:49:21 PM
Im about an hour in and i must say this episode is amazingly harsh on the film. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 so i didnt think it was amazing myself but this is just so negative.

They were honestly pretty tame compared to what other podcasts and Youtubers have been saying about the movie. I feel like the guys at AVP Galaxy are more constructive when it does come to criticism, and a hell of a lot more In depth, too. Others will tell you they hate something and the conversation never moves beyond that point, so it just sounds like a bitchfest.

banecat

banecat

that prometheus one was kinda odd,
i forget the guests name, the dude who ties everything together for fox and the alien series eu
yet he didn't seem to really know too much about the series and prometheus haha

CainsSon

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on Jun 08, 2017, 10:10:07 PM

They were honestly pretty tame compared to what other podcasts and Youtubers have been saying about the movie. I feel like the guys at AVP Galaxy are more constructive when it does come to criticism, and a hell of a lot more In depth, too. Others will tell you they hate something and the conversation never moves beyond that point, so it just sounds like a bitchfest.

I also found this to be pretty nuanced, objective and not nearly as negative as some people are being. I think this Podcast does still show how all over the place interpretations of the story, subtext and various mechanisms of the technical details are. As a long time fan, I have to say that A:C has managed to highlight exactly how fractured and confused the fanbase has come about what this franchise is about. It hurts my head a bit TBH. If anything upsets me about this movie it's how complicated it will be to get the next film right.
I know everyone says they want the next film to veer away from all this stuff but I have to disagree. I think narratively its most important now that they follow through in a way that ties up all questions raised in the past 2 films. No more ambiguity. Just follow through on the larger story EXPLICITLY.

Im not entirely convinced this is all going exactly where people are assuming it is, at least, not solely.

I think Scott is leaning towards the idea that David or better yet, something else will threaten Earth, and WY will want to obtain the Alien as a means to battle that thing.

DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain

I have been listening to podcast after podcast and review after review on this. I feel like yours is the best and most intelligent I have come across. Great episode. More please. I'd love to have more than one a month if at all possible.

I was ambivalent to this film initially. I knew what I was getting and I went anyway. I took my wife and two twenty year old daughters. The wife didn't like it and the daughters ripped it apart. I have talked it to death over the last few weeks and each time I discuss it, more and more things about it fall apart. It's not a good Alien Universe movie. It's barely an average general sci-fi movie. 

For me the biggest problem with it is that each time FOX puts out a middling to poor Alien film, it drives the fans away. Fewer and fewer come back. I have heard several say they are done. I've never heard them say that before. I myself have considered throwing the towel. That's the real legacy of these last two films. That's why the box office is down.

TheDerelict

Cheers lads, been looking forward to this podcast and was great to hear your views even though the fan reaction and it's box office performance has broken my fanboy heart a little bit as I've seen the film 9 times and I love it. But then again I loved Prometheus, so I'm easy to please.
Covenant was a 10/10 film for me which seems to make a bit weird, but most people seem to love the novels of "Out of the shadows" and "sea of sorrows" and "river of pain" which I thought were garbage. And I thought the rage war were good sci-fi novels but god awful Alien/predator stories, so I guess we're all different.
But still a great podcast, and I love listening to you guys so thanks for the effort you put in and you did bring up some valid points.

Hicks, just an idea, but you've mentioned on other podcasts aswell as this one about Aliens apocalypse the destroying angels, my favourite graphic novel along side salvation in the EU. Be awesome if you did a podcast on that one day. Even if dead orbit seems to be rapidly creeping into my top spot at the moment.

Cheers

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on Jun 08, 2017, 10:10:07 PM
They were honestly pretty tame compared to what other podcasts and Youtubers have been saying about the movie.
Yeah Hicks asked me to restrain myself  :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheDerelict on Jun 09, 2017, 05:10:28 AM
Hicks, just an idea, but you've mentioned on other podcasts aswell as this one about Aliens apocalypse the destroying angels, my favourite graphic novel along side salvation in the EU. Be awesome if you did a podcast on that one day. Even if dead orbit seems to be rapidly creeping into my top spot at the moment.

Don't worry, it's on my list to do! I'd like to give the newer releases an episode each (Life and Death will probably be one of our next non-Covenant related ones) before we go dive back into the older ones, but I definitely want to do episodes on the older comics, especially Destroying Angels.  :)

Thanks for the responses, guys. I knew it was going to be a negative-ish one but I wanted to try and remain as fair as possible. I'm glad to see we're hitting that and you guys aren't just finding it a bitch fest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed