Michael Biehn - It's Going to Happen

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 01, 2016, 07:42:33 PM

Author
Michael Biehn - It's Going to Happen (Read 12,065 times)

whiterabbit

Man now I feel bad for Micheal Biehn. Old and left hanging, it can't get worse than that.

Nostromo

What if Alien 5 starts off on the Sulaco and ends on Fiorina 161 with Ripley crashing?

Between all that some crazy mission actually happens with Ripley and the gang. They get boarded by a huge space ship which flies to a space station. Meanwhile an egg or 2 were on the Sulaco somehow and they start spreading around....While Ripley and the gang are in the med center alarms start going off, etc...

Or they can pretend Ripley is dreaming in the beginning,  so as to make people think A3 and A4 were dreams, but than actually escapes in the end from the space station and crash lands on Fiorina...

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 16, 2016, 03:19:30 AM
What if Alien 5 starts off on the Sulaco and ends on Fiorina 161 with Ripley crashing?

Between all that some crazy mission actually happens with Ripley and the gang. They get boarded by a huge space ship which flies to a space station. Meanwhile an egg or 2 were on the Sulaco somehow and they start spreading around....While Ripley and the gang are in the med center alarms start going off, etc...

Or they can pretend Ripley is dreaming in the beginning,  so as to make people think A3 and A4 were dreams, but than actually escapes in the end from the space station and crash lands on Fiorina...

There are several camps on this subject and the people on all sides are very passionate with their opinions.  I am sure some will like your idea, and others will lambaste you.  Anyway, there is a great thread for people to try to figure out a way to make Aliens 5 work with Alien 3 while still bringing back Hicks, Rips, and Newt.  I can assure you though that every time somebody posts something in there, somebody unleashes vitriol on them.  It's a funny read actually at times.  Give it a go, but be warned...

AvPGalaxy Forums » Films/TV » Alien Films » Alien 5 » Topic:  A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=54483.0

BishopShouldGo

It's futile to speculate, considering Neill and Sigourney confirmed it'll take place after Aliens, and not before A3 and A4.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 10, 2016, 08:41:59 AM
Man now I feel bad for Micheal Biehn. Old and left hanging, it can't get worse than that.

I've felt bad for the guy since the Abyss.  I mean that was a stellar performance.  You could hardly even tell it was the same guy.  He nailed Terminator, he kicked royal ass in Aliens, he rocked the Abyss.  It was all net!  And then bam, he faded away.  It was all dumb luck too.  He just didn't get the good parts after that or his character was killed off in all the other films.  The guy IS a brilliant actor, he just needs that big role again.  Maybe Cameron will look at him for some Avatar thing?

I think that a lot of the people on here who are all about getting the best story by continuing after Alien Resurrection, and they're not willing to consider a retcon of Alien 3.  Mark my words, the possibility of allowing Biehn to do another Aliens film would do wonders for this man's life.  Sometimes you can't fix things that happened in life, and sometimes, heck why not?

Come on, that's your second chance kiddo, and I think personally for you it would be the best thing in the world to get out there and face this thing.  Get back on the horse!

SM

SM

He's an alcoholic, and I'm guessing that stopped him getting hired.

I really hoped he'd enjoy some sort of renaissance after Planet Terror, but it never happened.  Not to say he hasn't been working solidly for years (and also sober), but Stallone at least needs to put him in an Expendables movie or something.

windebieste

You probably could sandwich an 'ALIEN' movie in there.  In order for the continuity to work, you would need young actors, though.  You would need a 36 year old playing Ripley and a 30 something playing Hicks.  Also, Newt would have to be played by a girl.  Obviously, Weaver, Biehn and Henn are out of the question now.   How would you explain Ripley's mysterious aging and de-aging?  Sci-fi mumbo jumbo bollocks aint gonna cut it. 

Some people will argue that these characters can only be played by the original actors but what they forget is that those portrayals are just the actors interpretations of those characters.  Any well cast actor can do it.  Other actors playing those roles are just as valid.  The real problem is America's 'Culture of Celebrity' that takes precedence over good story telling.  We've seen it multiple times already where older actors - getting beyond their ability to portray characters they excelled at - have returned.  As a result, the story is written to accommodate justifying having these actors in place - and these stories are generally shit; or mediocre at best.  Bringing back aging actors has proven time and again to be the most damaging and wasteful means of making these movies.

'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull', 'Terminator Genisys' and 'Star Wars - Force Awakens' all suffered because of this 'Culture of Celebrity'.  Each one of these movies made it a priority for the story to fit the actor - and not the other way around.  And sure, while Ford, Fisher and Schwarzeneggar all put in great performances and were the best thing about these movies, they were each just jewels buried in a turd.  There was nothing to be gained for the greater good of these movies by using these actors in those roles because the movie was a vehicle for them rather than being a decent narrative.

We really needed a fresh actor playing Harrison Ford in a rollicking 1930's adventure.  Fans want to know more about the war between men and machines in 2029.  What exactly did happen to the Galaxy in the weeks and months following the Emperor's demise?  These would have been much better scenarios to explore in cinema, but no.  We had to choke on derivative at best cinema just so familiar (aged) faces can reprise roles they made their own. The fact is, all these actors were past their ability to do the story justice - and it showed.

It's not enough to just recast the same actors and shoe horn the story that really doesn't need to be told around them.   After all, there are many movies and TV shows like 'James Bond', 'Sherlock Holmes', 'Doctor Who' which have strengthened because they have not been constipated into oblivion by having the one actor constantly representing the character. Fresh actors have given New Life and a fresh approach to every one of these very popular shows/movies.  You will also notice that not one of these is American based.  Only does the American entertainment industry insist that alternative and worthwhile interpretations of characters be non-transferable. 

So will we see an ALIEN movie sandwiched between 'ALIENS' and 'ALIEN 3'?  Sure.  If the American film industry (and the fans) can get behind the idea that actors of appropriate age other than Weaver and Biehn can play those roles. 

But I doubt it.  It would be cool, though. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 16, 2016, 03:42:31 AM
I can assure you though that every time somebody posts something in there, somebody unleashes vitriol on them.  It's a funny read actually at times.  Give it a go, but be warned...

Just because your ideas weren't met with unanimous agreement, doesn't mean people "unleashed vitriol". You were disagreed with and from what I remember it was mature discussion.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I can assure you though that every time somebody posts something in there, somebody unleashes vitriol on them.  It's a funny read actually at times.  Give it a go, but be warned...

Hahahahaha...it's one of those threads eh..
Honestly I could care less about another Ripley Alien movie..just trying to figure out how in the world they're going to get Hicks and Newt in there without it being a dream. Throw my crappy idea in that thread for a joke let's see who throws vitriol first lol.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2016, 07:27:21 AM

Just because your ideas weren't met with unanimous agreement, doesn't mean people "unleashed vitriol". You were disagreed with and from what I remember it was mature discussion.

Oops..just read this..perfect organism what did you do to get acid splatteted all over you.

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 16, 2016, 07:04:34 AM

Some people will argue that these characters can only be played by the original actors but what they forget is that those portrayals are just the actors interpretations of those characters.  Any well cast actor can do it.  Other actors playing those roles are just as valid.  The real problem is America's 'Culture of Celebrity' that takes precedence over good story telling.  We've seen it multiple times already where older actors - getting beyond their ability to portray characters they excelled at - have returned.  As a result, the story is written to accommodate justifying having these actors in place - and these stories are generally shit; or mediocre at best.  Bringing back aging actors has proven time and again to be the most damaging and wasteful means of making these movies.

'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull', 'Terminator Genisys' and 'Star Wars - Force Awakens' all suffered because of this 'Culture of Celebrity'.  Each one of these movies made it a priority for the story to fit the actor - and not the other way around.

-Windebieste.

I don't know why people get attached to the same actors so much instead of going with a better story but with new actors. I used to think the same way though... What made me realize that a great story can be told without missing or needing the old actors was reading Star Wars comics pre and post The original trilogy. When Dark Horse started printing Star Wars comics without the trio of Han, Luke and Leia I was like there's no way this is going to work..it will suck without them. But story after story kept proving me wrong.

My whole point is I don't get why some people are Ripley fanatics. What does she do that someone else can't do better. Do you enjoy watching Ripley more than the Alien itself? In my book the Ripley and Hicks idea shipped off in the sunset 10 years ago...if not 20.

They were great for Alien & Aliens, but we need to let them go for the franchise's sake. Yes it would be fun to see them go at it again, but at the same time I just don't see what the story will be about.

It won't be as fresh and terrorizing as it will be with seeing a whole new cast and crew going in with no idea what an Alien is. I wish every Alien movie there is a fresh new set of victims actually. Better to exhaust that idea than to have humans experementing and all the crazy scientist stuff we've seen in the 90's with AR and those Aliens comics.

PS: Having said all that, to each his and her own. Everyone has their opinion. :)

The Alien Predator

Thanks you, Hicks.

I would agree with him on one point, it can be a funny read at times but simply because of how passionate the fans get and some throw in funny jokes in their posts. Winde and I are probably particularly guilty of this. XD

But I don't think anyone was trying to personally insult anyone lol or you would've stepped in... after all, they say heat and conflict attracts the Mods who come to claim trophies for their Ban Wall.

And Windebieste, I agree, I think this series can benefit a lot from distancing itself from these actors. But I think the series will do much better if it distances itself from the characters too. Look at Predator, it does quite well and we had each main actor in one movie etc. The real characters here are the Predators themselves and the franchise knows and respects this. It did try to bring Arnie back a few times, but strictly for the storyline sense as well as to put butts on seats in a cinema. But if Arnie turns down the role, some people may grumble but no one will lose any sleep over it.

But with Alien, my friend even pointed it out to me, Alien has two characters - Xenomorph and Ellen Ripley while Predator only has the Predator.

Ripley has stuck to it so much that people now can't see Alien as its own thing anymore. It literally has to ride on the back of Ripley, and if not Ellen, then *insert name* Ripley will take Ellen's place. I think that's really detrimental to the story because Alien is a huge pseudo-realistic universe and this tether to RIpley makes it much smaller and less scarier not to mention way too coincidental.

Like as if the universe is alive and hates the RIpley family for some reason.

Instead of it being all a random chance and have humanity as a species go through this nightmare together. But the message here seems to be "if you're not Ripley or your destiny is not intertwined with her's, you ain't got nothing to worry about."

Local Trouble

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 16, 2016, 03:55:47 AMI've felt bad for the guy since the Abyss.  I mean that was a stellar performance.  You could hardly even tell it was the same guy.  He nailed Terminator, he kicked royal ass in Aliens, he rocked the Abyss.  It was all net!  And then bam, he faded away.

What, WHAT?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 16, 2016, 03:55:47 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 10, 2016, 08:41:59 AM

I've felt bad for the guy since the Abyss.  I mean that was a stellar performance.  You could hardly even tell it was the same guy.  He nailed Terminator, he kicked royal ass in Aliens, he rocked the Abyss.  It was all net!  And then bam, he faded away.  It was all dumb luck too.  He just didn't get the good parts after that or his character was killed off in all the other films.  The guy IS a brilliant actor, he just needs that big role again. 

Major roles (one of which the male lead) in three big films (two of which are bona fide classics) is not bad at all.

QuoteMaybe Cameron will look at him for some Avatar thing?

Unlikely with Siggy around. She was after all the reason he lost out on the first Avatar.

...and from what I remember it was mature discussion.

No it wasn't, you had to delete quite a few posts.  :laugh:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=54986.msg2130618#msg2130618

The Alien Predator

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 16, 2016, 05:44:40 PM
No it wasn't, you had to delete quite a few posts.  :laugh:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=54986.msg2130618#msg2130618

Wow, I didn't see that.  :laugh:

I was thinking of the thread Perfect Organism started, the one where he tried to explain how to make both timelines fit.

I remember it being mostly a civil discussion... mostly....

BishopShouldGo

Biehn lost out on Chappie too. He was supposed to have Weaver's role.

Perfect-Organism

I am not even referring to my own ideas.  It seemed like most ideas that people put out there were met with a lot of this is stupid, this is stupid, this is stupid!  Rather than exploring ideas to see where they could go, people were just knocking everything.  I don't know, maybe vitriol is too strong a word, but it's tongue in cheek anyway.  I mean at the end of the day, it's just a movie for Pete's sakes.  But the way some people react to ideas which are all in fun anyway is beyond me.  ::)

I have to say though that I was pushing for a retcon of Alien 3 and Resurrection with a Facebook page dedicated to the subject even before Blomkamp's first sketches and announcement came out.  But out of respect for the fans of those films, I started a thread to see if there was a way to connect the ideas of bringing back Hicks, Newt, and Ripley while still making Alien 3 and Resurrection work in-canon.  Ultimately any of those ideas, whether mine or someone else's were thoroughly shot down, by people who actually seemed angry at the ideas.  Maybe the discussions didn't fully go overboard in that thread, but things were definitely teetering on the verge of civility.  And what for?

But there's a way to test the waters of course.  Post your ideas in the thread Nostromo.  Let's see if we can stir up an intelligent convo this time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed