NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 814,919 times)

windebieste

windebieste

The default display stands NECA supplies with these figures is generally inadequate.  They are too short to grasp the figure's anywhere other than the thigh or tail.  Sure, you can crouch the figure over and have the C-clip grasp the figure by the waist but the delicate nature of the damned things means they are very susceptible to snapping.

They are the worst part of NECA's releases.  By their short nature they deprive you of the opportunity to maximise the figure's ability to pose.  All those points of articulation just get wasted simply because the crummy default display stand won't free the figure enough to allow it to show off the posability it's really capable of.

I wish NECA would completely do away and replace them.  Mind you,  NECA does have alternatives available here and here.

Wot u get by default.  Grasped around the thigh, poor Stompy is almost walking on his knees.

Wot they should be including in the package.  Yeahhh!  now yer talkin'.  Look at the potential range of poses available here!  Freed from the restrictions of crummy display stand, Stompy can be posed to the fullest.

Mind you, there are even better alternatives online but you will have to hunt around.  Ebay will definitely have some.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

My AvP two-pack didn't come with any stands. Poor bastards have to stand on their own.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Which ones have come with them? Only ones I can think of are Stompy and the Runner.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 03, 2016, 01:16:47 AM

:laugh: Admit it, you made it look like he's dancing on purpose...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 03, 2016, 07:48:30 AM
Which ones have come with them? Only ones I can think of are Stompy and the Runner.
Those are the only "basic" sized ones I can think of. The Queen has a stand but that's kind of a special case.

Xenophobia

Xenophobia

I really want a ressurection Ripley  ;) she is very hot in this movie  ;D I think she insipired blizzard to create kerrigan  ;)

and we need preatorian aliens  :laugh:

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Possibly. The Zerg and the Protoss are very Alien and Predator. But I still don't care about Alien Resurrection. I can't think of a character from that movie I would want. In fact, if probably want actual StarCraft figures before then.

Master

Master

I'd love them to do Alien Queen from AvP, witha rigged head , chains and so on.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I love Neca's designs & think it's awesome they're doing the Kenner line as well but I hate to say I have a jaded experience with their figures thus far. I only own 3 Xenomorphs & sadly ALL 3 of them have major problems which has left me a little meh towards them. I have the Genocide 2 pack & the series 2 Blue Warrior. Where to begin. The red Xeno has one foot that I dunno what the hell happened but it was either super glued or something but the front foot toe area on one foot will not move up & down in even the slightest bit which restricts how I can pose it greatly. That's not the only problem it has. Now, just to say, I take very very good care of my stuff. I don't play with them or do stop motion or anything, I take them out of the package, pose them & they stay on my shelf for ages before being moved again. So, that being said, (still on the red one) it didn't take long for the bottom jaw of it's mouth to just come off so I can no longer open it's mouth unless I want it's bottom jaw hanging down in the middle of its chest. So disappointed with that because that's the one I wanted the most out of the 2 pack. The black one for the most part is okay. His mouth is still fine, both feet bend the way they're suppose to BUT.. it has the weakest knees joints ever & just sinks down into itself if I try to pose it in a cool position so basically if I don't want it to fall over, I have to stand it up straight which is pretty boring. The blue warrior, I can't comment on terribly too much because after the debacle of the first 2, I decided to leave it in the package but I can see just from looking inside the package that one of it's feet is almost sideways & looks like it will either fall off or snap if I try to do anything with it.

So with all that said, I don't hate Neca, I do realize that sometimes there's bad molds that get released, it just really hurt me that ALL 3 which I bought at the same time, ALL had major defects going on that wouldn't allow me to enjoy the figures as they're meant to be so I'm a little hesitate to buy more. If at least 1 of them turned out to be one of the good molds, I would let the other 2 slide but that wasn't the case & I certainly don't have the cash to keep blowing to try & get a good mold. Not really sure why I shared this story honestly. Maybe a little bit of jealousy that most of you guys seem to just keep getting the good ones while I'm stuck here with 3 bunk ones :P

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Master on Aug 05, 2016, 07:21:28 AM
I'd love them to do Alien Queen from AvP, witha rigged head , chains and so on.

With an optional combistick through the head accessory.  Ya.  That would be nice.

Quote from: XenoZipper on Aug 05, 2016, 09:04:35 AMI decided to leave it in the package but I can see just from looking inside the package that one of it's feet is almost sideways & looks like it will either fall off or snap if I try to do anything with it.

Depending on the nature of some of the deformities these figures can have, they can be fixed.  My Dog Alien had a bent tail barb and I mean bent!  Bladed barb is quite long and half the length of it was bent over by about 90o.  To fix it, I immersed the tail tip in hot water just taken off of the boil.  This allowed the plastic to soften enough and I could flatten the barb without warping.

My Stompy developed a similar warped foot problem.  Posing him with too much weight on one foot for a long time caused the ankle to buckle.  Once again, immersing the foot in a cup of hot water fixed it with a little manipulation to get it back into its correct position.  Now I use the crummy display stand that was included with him. 

The crummy display stand might be crummy but it beats the Hell out of having my Stompy going through the rest of his life with rickets.

-Windebieste.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I'll have to take a picture of the red one later to show how screwed it's mouth & feet is. I don't have any knowledge on how to fix figures.

Okay so here's the probs with the Red Xeno. In pic 1, the right foot moves up but the left will not budge in the slightest. Can't move it up or down. I can move the ankle part but that's it. Pic 2 is showing that I can move the right arm to where it is & sadly the left arm will not go up any further than what you see in the picture no matter how hard I try to move it. Pic 3 is actually something new I just found while taking these pictures & that's showing the frame or whatever that area is called is just cracked all the way up. & pic #4 is when I try to open the mouth to take out the 2nd jaw. So yea. I feel like I wasted $60 buying that double pack even though the black one is a much better mold, it has it's super weak knee problems making it hard to pose. Like I said, don't hate Neca, love their figures & design but I've had nothing but bad luck with getting shite molds. And myself not having any knowledge of how to fix toys or anything of that sort, it just kinda sucks. I wanted this figure to be my prized possession & it ended up being one of the worst figures I've owned period of anything since I started collecting toys in the 80s.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The older xeno legs and jaws are pretty shitty unless you get lucky. Most of mine have been ok, but I have a few shitty ones.

The jaw I've fixed with a dab of gorilla glue, and then rotating it up and down till the glue was dried, giving it resistance and a "hold" into the joint.

windebieste

windebieste

Damn.  That's really unfortunate to have so many issues on the one figure.  I have one figure, the translucent 'prototype' of the Big Chap that has its jaw stuck on one side.  I could never free it up.  I think the wire core is poking through to the surface at the base, too. 

One of NECA's big problems - and this is true of all 'ALIEN' figures - is the price.  They are at an 'acceptable' level but still feel a little dear for what you get.  What you do get, however is Officially Licenced merchandise with all the design, motifs and logos that that licence brings with it.  These aren't cheap knock offs.  They're the real deal in terms of identity.  You're paying to be able to hold that in your hands.

I frequently look at NECA's releases as glorified toys and they still sit at the lower end of the price scale.  You can pay significantly more for figures by other companies but you should also expect a ramp up in quality. 

Overall, I think NECA do a great job of filling a much appreciated mass market at a reasonable price.  It would be ideal if they could address their Quality issues.  A lot of people have reported problems with their figures many, many times.  Right now their reputation is still strong but if these deficiencies in product continue (Or possibly even get worse!), they'll risk no longer being identified by the buying public as the National Entertainment Collectibles Association and be dubbed something like Not Exactly Quality Assured.

As in,  "God Damn it.  I just paid $60 for this figure and it's leg is stuck.  Trust you, NEQA!"

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

Are inner jaws supposed to be really, really hard to get out? Cos I've got two with stiff tongues. In a way it's good as it stops them sliding around, but needing tweezers to pull them out with force is a bit much.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 06, 2016, 12:55:05 AM
Damn.  That's really unfortunate to have so many issues on the one figure.  I have one figure, the translucent 'prototype' of the Big Chap that has its jaw stuck on one side.  I could never free it up.  I think the wire core is poking through to the surface at the base, too. 

One of NECA's big problems - and this is true of all 'ALIEN' figures - is the price.  They are at an 'acceptable' level but still feel a little dear for what you get.  What you do get, however is Officially Licenced merchandise with all the design, motifs and logos that that licence brings with it.  These aren't cheap knock offs.  They're the real deal in terms of identity.  You're paying to be able to hold that in your hands.

I frequently look at NECA's releases as glorified toys and they still sit at the lower end of the price scale.  You can pay significantly more for figures by other companies but you should also expect a ramp up in quality. 

Overall, I think NECA do a great job of filling a much appreciated mass market at a reasonable price.  It would be ideal if they could address their Quality issues.  A lot of people have reported problems with their figures many, many times.  Right now their reputation is still strong but if these deficiencies in product continue (Or possibly even get worse!), they'll risk no longer being identified by the buying public as the National Entertainment Collectibles Association and be dubbed something like Not Exactly Quality Assured.

As in,  "God Damn it.  I just paid $60 for this figure and it's leg is stuck.  Trust you, NEQA!"

-Windebieste.

I totally agree. I don't have a hate for Neca at all. My brother has a few & those figures are excellent. I guess I just drew the short straw in for getting a good quality one. I do agree the price is acceptable and at the same time sucks when you get a figure like mine. Most Neca figures in my neck of the woods go for between $30-40 a piece sometimes more depending on the store. A comic shop I go to just got in the Red Queen & he wants $180 for it which is crazy. He wants about that much for the 1/4th Warrior too. He won't be getting my money for them haha They're at least 30 bucks cheaper online. I just want 1 good figure but not even sure if I'm going to bother taking another chance having 3 fails in a row.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed