Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,692 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2017, 10:43:12 AM
https://letterboxd.com/film/alien-covenant/

Couple of so-so reviews.

Cannot stand letterboxd. Every idiot can register there and write his/her own review. Ignore it :)

The_Foxcatcher

Quotethe structure is largely the same in Spaihts' original draft, before the film turns into a straight-up well-trod alien bughunt with even more anonymous redshirts than Prometheus.

I agree. The structure is similar to Spaihts original draft Alien: Engineers with two Xenomorph and an Ultramorph. Scott swept away the Xenos and introduced Concept which was originally thought for Alien.

So original Alien concepts were used in Prometheus and original Prometheus concepts are used in Alien Covenant.

Molecules

Molecules

Quote from: Ingwar on May 06, 2017, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2017, 10:43:12 AM
https://letterboxd.com/film/alien-covenant/

Couple of so-so reviews.

Cannot stand letterboxd. Every idiot can register there and write his/her own review. Ignore it :)

Actually once a film's been out for a good while, the approval system tends to end up ranking the 'best' reviews at the top of the pile. Since it's still to a certain extent dominated by cinephiles you usually get some interesting feedback floating up. I think IMDB has/had a similar system, but that site's got its own problems. That's not to say that the more popular film pages on Letterboxd aren't full of the usual superficial single-paragraph reviews or incoherent one-liners... they just don't get upvoted in the long run.

Also the idea that the majority of career film critics wouldn't fall under your 'every idiot' category is laughable (although if you only trust those, a bunch of them have Letterboxd profiles and post there).

salomonj

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: M_Tak on May 06, 2017, 12:21:40 PM
After seeing the film, I kinda think the marketing team should really limit any new footage they allow out by now, they're getting close to showing the entire bloody thing.

David creation argument:
Spoiler
To me it seems more... He found someone else's toys and played with them
[close]

Spoiler
so he just replicated what already existed? I hope this is true as that would put my worries to rest.
[close]

Quote from: The_Foxcatcher on May 06, 2017, 01:33:19 PM
Quotethe structure is largely the same in Spaihts' original draft, before the film turns into a straight-up well-trod alien bughunt with even more anonymous redshirts than Prometheus.

I agree. The structure is similar to Spaihts original draft Alien: Engineers with two Xenomorph and an Ultramorph. Scott swept away the Xenos and introduced Concept which was originally thought for Alien.

So original Alien concepts were used in Prometheus and original Prometheus concepts are used in Alien Covenant.

Spoiler
So there are two Xenos in addition to two Neomorphs?
[close]

Ingwar

Ingwar

Intense is a key word. Cannot wait till Thursday!

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 06, 2017, 02:24:35 PM
After seeing the film, I kinda think the marketing team should really limit any new footage they allow out by now, they're getting close to showing the entire bloody thing.

David creation argument:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
so he just replicated what already existed? I hope this is true as that would put my worries to rest.
[close]

Spoiler
So covenant crew it's not first group that go paradise ? (not count david and shawn)
[close]

Predaker

Predaker

David creation argument:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
By "played with them" he means David creates the Alien as we know it. You can still point to things like the trilobite inpregnating an engineer with a deacon and the acid blood of the space cobra if you want to say, "but David didn't truly create the alien! He was just playing with engineer toys."
[close]

Ingwar

Ingwar

When does embargo end? Is it today?

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Predaker on May 06, 2017, 02:31:00 PM

David creation argument:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
By "played with them" he means David creates the Alien as we know it. You can still point to things like the trilobite inpregnating an engineer with a deacon and the acid blood of the space cobra if you want to say, "but David didn't truly create the alien! He was just playing with engineer toys."
[close]

Spoiler
Or David found the egg/recipe (someone else's toys) and Experiment/Study them (played with them)
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: gantarat on May 06, 2017, 02:47:19 PM

David creation argument:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Or David found the egg/recipe (someone else's toys) and Experiment/Study them (played with them)
[close]

Spoiler
Hopefully this! I know that all creatures so far do share a common source in some regard but I definitely want David to have created his own version from learning about Xenos (that already exist) and how the Engineers made them rather than him being the creator of the original Aliens.
[close]

juxtapose

juxtapose

Quote from: Ingwar on May 06, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
When does embargo end? Is it today?
. .i think it is around 9 this evening. .11 for me cause this site is 2 hours behind my time zone in south africa. .

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 06, 2017, 05:44:08 AM
Once they land on the planet, the movie overall moves really fast

I rewatched 'Aliens', for the first time in a few years, the other evening. If you haven't done so in a while, the pacing really stands out: It's not the action which refuses to let up. It's the oppressive atmosphere. Cameron handles the mixture of action and gradual ticking time-bomb really well. There's a whole lot of down-time, but he uses it wisely. The character development is interspersed well enough that it never feels like it's focusing on those moments to the detriment of progressing ths situation.

The closest you ever get to that is Gateway Station and that's broken up by the dream sequence and Ripley's hearing, where she's so passionate and convincing in her outburst, that Weaver's performance forever makes it every bit as compelling to watch as the later action sequences.

I can't judge this film before watching it, obviously, but if it is just one long constant action sequence, then it's missed out on learning some lessons on how 'Aliens' provided balance in pacing.

Quote from: salomonj on May 06, 2017, 02:21:17 PM
This just made me happy. Fury Road is one of my favorites.

Not sure what to make of that. I never really understood the hype for 'Fury Road' after I'd seen it. Never felt particularly intense.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 06, 2017, 02:53:55 PM
Quote from: gantarat on May 06, 2017, 02:47:19 PM

David creation argument:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Hopefully this! I know that all creatures so far do share a common source in some regard but I definitely want David to have created his own version from learning about Xenos (that already exist) and how the Engineers made them rather than him being the creator of the original Aliens.
[close]

Spoiler
Either way, David creates the Alien as we know it. The classical alien is David's "version."
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed