Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,714 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: oberonqa on May 05, 2017, 11:43:03 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 05, 2017, 11:37:19 PM
This is why it's best not to get hyped. :)

Assume nothing. Then, if it turns out to be good, it's a pleasant surprise.

The only possible way for this movie to disappoint me is if it is A:R or AvPR bad.  I even enjoy Prometheus to a certain extent because of the David character.  So as long as Covenant doesnt descend into the mouth of madness that is A:R or AvPR, then I am sure I'll walk out of the theater grinning like a chesire cat.

Maybe I'm just easy to please though... lol

Bad news, turns out Chet the Predalien was in it and vomited up those eggs...  The chestburster wears a top hat and dances before killing everyone with a candycane. :P :laugh:

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:45:36 PM

The only possible way for this movie to disappoint me is if it is A:R or AvPR bad.  I even enjoy Prometheus to a certain extent because of the David character.  So as long as Covenant doesnt descend into the mouth of madness that is A:R or AvPR, then I am sure I'll walk out of the theater grinning like a chesire cat.

Bad news, turns out Chet the Predalien was in it and vomited up those eggs...  The chestburster wears a top hat and dances before killing everyone with a candycane. :P :laugh:

I wouldnt mind the chestburster bit.  Its a classic riff on a classic scene.  :)

joylit

joylit

I wonder why not a single word has been said about Waterston character? She is like invisible so far. And it is not just the embargo.. people could have said "cool heroine" "she's badass" etc... instead of that, silence...

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: joylit on May 05, 2017, 11:50:50 PM
I wonder why not a single word had been said about Waterston character? She is like invisible so far. And it is not just the embargo.. people could have said "cool heroine" "she's badass" etc... instead of that, silence...

That may actually be at the studios request....

The Cruentus

I wonder why not a single word had been said about Waterston character? She is like invisible so far. And it is not just the embargo.. people could have said "cool heroine" "she's badass" etc... instead of that, silence...

I am guessing her and well,...all the other characters are just being over-shadowed by the Xeno, since even if its a replication (hopefully) it has still been 10 years since they have been on our screens. So it makes sense that we are all going to talk about it.

echobbase79

I wonder why not a single word has been said about Waterston character? She is like invisible so far. And it is not just the embargo.. people could have said "cool heroine" "she's badass" etc... instead of that, silence...

Hicks said he loved the new cast. So I'm thinking he really enjoyed her performance.

Ingwar

Ingwar

People, just don't get attach to reviews because they can set up your mind with negative attitude. Just watch the movie and judge by yourself. And remember: one person = one opinion. People have different expectations. Don't listen to what other people are saying. It's no-brainer.

whiterabbit

What a horrible thing to even suggest. :'(  :laugh:

There is one thing that would piss me off personally about the aliens if it were to happen and that is they were created by man. Asshole robot who was created by man fiddling around with alien DNA... I can live with. But if we find out the Alien was invented in the WY lab... f**k that. Also, aliens ignoring androids isn't movie canon right? Call being ignored by the aliens doesn't count since they thought she was dead and she just ran around to the other side to open the door. So if the alien gets it's biomech from an android is fine with me.

It's funny but what if we come from monkeys... but the engineers come from Aliens?

joylit

joylit

Well Cruentus. I'm just praying for this movie to be good. I hope there is a balance between the characters. I hope there is a conflict, and not just beating around the bush. I am going to give just one example, and this is pure speculation because I haven't seen the movie. But I would really hate it if at the end Covenat David trades places with Walter and nobody is even suspicious about it. We had enough dumb characters in this franchise already, and most of them are in Prometheus.

fiveways

fiveways

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 06, 2017, 12:01:09 AM

There is one thing that would piss me off personally about the aliens if it were to happen and that is they were created by man. Asshole robot who was created by man fiddling around with alien DNA... I can live with. But if we find out the Alien was invented in the WY lab... f**k that. Also, aliens ignoring androids isn't movie canon right? Call being ignored by the aliens doesn't count since they thought she was dead and she just ran around to the other side to open the door. So if the alien gets it's biomech from an android is fine with me.

It's funny but what if we come from monkeys... but the engineers come from Aliens?

Spoiler
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: fiveways on May 06, 2017, 12:08:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxlbLVcpqI

Don't order the soup  :laugh:

Quote from: joylit on May 06, 2017, 12:08:06 AM
Well Cruentus. I'm just praying for this movie to be good. I hope there is a balance between the characters. I hope there is a conflict, and not just beating around the bush. I am going to give just one example, and this is pure speculation because I haven't seen the movie. But I would really hate it if at the end Covenat David trades places with Walter and nobody is even suspicious about it. We had enough dumb characters in this franchise already, and most of them are in Prometheus.

It is funny you should mention that as I heard folks around here saying something about David imitating Walter, can't recall if it was just a theory or actually something that happens in the movie (some friends of members here got to see early screenings I believe)

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 05, 2017, 11:30:54 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 05, 2017, 09:33:36 PM
The queen died with Ripley and ox theory only explains the ox, though.

This seems more like a creative decision to do something different. Perhaps when the aliens are outside of anyone's control in the sequel and gain their biomechanical aesthetic (according to Ridley and co.) this could also explain the shift from bambi-burster to classic chestburster.

For what it's worth, I did point out in my Alien Day report that I asked the Creature Supervisor whether or not the similarity to the dog-burster was a deliberate decision; whether they were working in some kind of foreshadowing of what 'Alien 3' depicted or not - and he gave a definite no to that.

Like the similarities between 'Prometheus' and the first of the AVP films (which we know Scott hadn't opportunity to watch), this could simply just all be pure coincidence. Either way, the design similarity is on record as not being a deliberate plan.

Assuming there's no explanation given for this in the new film, it's just a case of Scott having an artistic whim and going for it. Not some long-term evolutionary plan behind the scenes.

Thanks! That sounds about right.

I'm still thinking that is one aspect of Covenant that HuDa and Hicks were talking about earlier but I could easily be wrong once we found out more after the embargo.

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 05, 2017, 11:56:44 PM
https://twitter.com/jbawardscircuit/status/860637629158539264
Quote#AlienCovenant wisely follows George Miller's less plot = more fun mantra. Doesn't take itself seriously except for Fassbender's virtuosity

That's not so bad, as if they learned to avoid repeating the mistakes of Prometheus. I can dig it.

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 06, 2017, 12:01:09 AM

Agreed.  :laugh:

Also I can live with David now becoming the creator of the Alien, like being a guilty pleasure to indulge in these prequels.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Predaker on May 06, 2017, 01:03:03 AM
Also I can live with David now becoming the creator of the Alien

Is that 100% confirmed?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed