Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,966 times)

Stolen

Stolen

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/860631548952952832

But I had bad feedback of the French projection today. Last part of Covenant is hysteric, bad, story pretty weak despite good things and good sequences ...

I think the film will be more divided than we thought unfortunately ...

The Cruentus

Assassins Creed flopped because it suffered from the video game movie curse, so its not necessarily the actor's fault.

Michael has had lead or atleast co-lead roles and the films have been highly successful. First Class springs to mind.

Anyway, he is not a protagonist in either Prometheus and Covenant, his role being either support or antagonist.

joylit

joylit

You know what I mean. Nobody goes to see these movies because of Fassbender. They go for the alien. If they use the creatures as a bait to tell a story about artificial intelligence, the audience will feel defrauded.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Stolen on May 05, 2017, 11:12:45 PM
https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/860631548952952832

But I had bad feedback of the French projection today. Last part of Covenant is hysteric, bad, story pretty weak despite good things and good sequences ...

The @slashfilm journo put up something less than encouraging as well before it was deleted. Optimism neutrilised.

joylit

joylit

The link doesn't work

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: joylit on May 05, 2017, 11:17:49 PM
You know what I mean. Nobody goes to see these movies because of Fassbender. They go for the alien. If they use the creatures as a bait to tell a story about artificial intelligence, the audience will feel defrauded.

I have no idea what you mean by your posts. Fassbender has been absolutely solid in everything I've seen him in. I also don't get the impression that Covenant is a bait-and-switch. Have you seen the film yet?

Welcome to the AvPG, btw.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Not to be argumentative, but ever since I saw Prometheus, Fassbender has had my attention.  He is a talented and extremely likeable actor.  Anything he is in, I have an interest in seeing and is the main reason why I saw Assassins Creed despite having grown disgusted with the franchise after AC3.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that people don't just goto movies for the actors.  There is an entire generation of movie goers that grew up in the golden era of Hollywood when studios had mega stars and those stars were hot commodities that were guaranteed audience draws just because they were in it.  Fassbender reminds me of the mega stars of old.  He has a presence... he owns the roles he plays and is a true Hollywood thespian in an era where that is becoming increasingly rare.

The Cruentus

I do know what you mean, its safe to say a lot of fans felt this way when they went to see Prometheus and expected Xenos. Fassbender has being noted for giving a good performance as David however, hence why he is singled out by critics.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Predaker on May 05, 2017, 09:33:36 PM
The queen died with Ripley and ox theory only explains the ox, though.

This seems more like a creative decision to do something different. Perhaps when the aliens are outside of anyone's control in the sequel and gain their biomechanical aesthetic (according to Ridley and co.) this could also explain the shift from bambi-burster to classic chestburster.

For what it's worth, I did point out in my Alien Day report that I asked the Creature Supervisor whether or not the similarity to the dog-burster was a deliberate decision; whether they were working in some kind of foreshadowing of what 'Alien 3' depicted or not - and he gave a definite no to that.

Like the similarities between 'Prometheus' and the first of the AVP films (which we know Scott hadn't opportunity to watch), this could simply just all be pure coincidence. Either way, the design similarity is on record as not being a deliberate plan.

Assuming there's no explanation given for this in the new film, it's just a case of Scott having an artistic whim and going for it. Not some long-term evolutionary plan behind the scenes.

joylit

joylit

No, but a blogger who watched the film said "This is a story about David". By the way he loved Prometheus but seems to have some qualms about Covenant. That sounds like really bad news to me. And I don't have anything against Fassbender. He is an excellent actor. Even his character David can be tragically beautiful. But think about this now: Would Blade Runner be as good as it was if it was the story of Roy Batty? I don't think so.

Stolen

Stolen

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 05, 2017, 11:22:16 PM

The @slashfilm journo put up something less than encouraging as well before it was deleted. Optimism neutrilised.

I fear...
But I also had very good echoes, so difficult to draw conclusions.

Xenomorphine

This is why it's best not to get hyped. :)

Assume nothing. Then, if it turns out to be good, it's a pleasant surprise.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: Stolen on May 05, 2017, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 05, 2017, 11:22:16 PM

I fear...
But I also had very good echoes, so difficult to draw conclusions.

Let's not base assumption on one site just yet.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 05, 2017, 11:37:19 PM

Words I live by, cynical way to look at things but expecting the worst means you can be pleasantly surprised much more often.

Some of the comments here suggested its at least better than Alien 3, so that is promising but still not holding my breath.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 05, 2017, 11:37:19 PM

The only possible way for this movie to disappoint me is if it is A:R or AvPR bad.  I even enjoy Prometheus to a certain extent because of the David character.  So as long as Covenant doesnt descend into the mouth of madness that is A:R or AvPR, then I am sure I'll walk out of the theater grinning like a chesire cat.

Maybe I'm just easy to please though... lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed