Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 149,708 times)

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: MrRipley on May 05, 2017, 08:58:07 PM
This one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7OQpeoWiA

They reused the AVP 2010 Alien screech in the panic ad! :D

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 05, 2017, 09:38:34 PM
Will they be? I don't understand this mode of thinking...

Because every time I watch Alien I always wonder about the origins of the ship, where it came from and the eggs. I love the mystery behind it all and believe it should remain a mystery. But if Covenant suggests certain things that might reveal this mystery, then it will be hard to watch Alien in the future and not think about these reveals. So I'm wondering if it should be watched one last time before it all changes...

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 05, 2017, 09:38:57 PM
Did the AvP films change your opinion of the original?

No because the AVP films are irrelevant.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

They weren't when they were released.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .i doubt the bambi burster was the reason Hicks had some qualms with covenant. .it was very much aparent that it was not gonna be the worm design well before the premiere. .it must be something else concerning the Xeno's. .maybe the way they move. .but while on the subject of the bambi burster. .i personally loved the design in alien 3. .was one of the best bits. .especially in the asembly cut. .and the way the xeno moved. .awesooooome!!. .just my opinion. .

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 05, 2017, 09:46:56 PM

Maybe so but their stories did not directly tie into Alien in regards to the jockey or the derelict stuff, so no they would not affect further viewings of the film. I'm not criticising Covenant in any way for I haven't seen it. But I just wonder if after having watched Covenant, it will be hard to view Alien in the same way again, if certain story revelations are suggested.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: juxtapose on May 05, 2017, 09:47:09 PM
. .i doubt the bambi burster was the reason Hicks had some qualms with covenant. .it was very much aparent that it was not gonna be the worm design well before the premiere. .it must be something else concerning the Xeno's. .maybe the way they move. .but while on the subject of the bambi burster. .i personally loved the design in alien 3. .was one of the best bits. .especially in the asembly cut. .and the way the xeno moved. .awesooooome!!. .just my opinion. .

It's probably not the only thing but concerning his statement about wondering if Ridley and co. forgot something important with regards to the alien in the original, what else could it be?

It's also one of the very few interview questions Hicks will ask Ridley about, btw.

irn

irn

They made me change my opinion about our civilisation in general.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 05, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 05, 2017, 09:46:56 PM

Maybe so but their stories did not directly tie into Alien in regards to the jockey or the derelict stuff, so no they would not affect further viewings of the film. I'm not criticising Covenant in any way for I haven't seen it. But I just wonder if after having watched Covenant, it will be hard to view Alien in the same way again, if certain story revelations are suggested.

Thats the trouble with prequels for some people. I can disconnect though. I watch them in turns of adding to the story rather than changing what comes later. I know it sounds weird but I understand the films in chronological release order and not story wise. It's how I can still watch the OT Star Wars films without being out off by knowing that Darth Vader is the little birch boy from the prequels. Just a tip for any nervous fans out there.

In terms of changes Scott is going to make to the Alien lore, I welcome it. The Alien is done for me. It's lost a lot of its effect on me and it drastically needs a shot in the arm. The only thing I actually enjoy/fear is the Facehuggers. I'm all for change as long as is it doesn't stray too far.

Quote from: irn on May 05, 2017, 10:01:43 PM

They made me change my opinion about our civilisation in general.

It's the comic book generation dude, I'm half in it so to speak.

I watch the first AvP last week and I actually really enjoyed it. Still a bag of crap but it's competently made and entertaining.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .well if it's only the bambi then i am not very concerned. .i thought the design was awesome and having seen the very long phallic like head of the baby i am even more Giger- upped. .that definately looks alot more like the original design. .was the snake-worm like burster from alien and alliens  based on a giger design as well?. .or was it artistic licence?

whiterabbit

The bambi-burster wouldn't cause any fan to cringe. It's what's laying the eggs that must be twisting their undies. That or Walter is facehugged and gives birth... but still that doesn't seem all that upsetting either.

The Cruentus

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 05, 2017, 10:15:25 PM
The bambi-burster wouldn't cause any fan to cringe. It's what's laying the eggs that must be twisting their undies. That or Walter is facehugged and gives birth... but still that doesn't seem all that upsetting either.

Well it should be upsetting since Walter is an android... :P

Back in the old eu, robots were used by the company to gather eggs because they were immune. While that is no longer canon, I still think androids will be incapable of carrying embryos.

dcsat

dcsat

Well it should be upsetting since Walter is an android... :P

Back in the old eu, robots were used by the company to gather eggs because they were immune. While that is no longer canon, I still think androids will be incapable of carrying embryos.
[/quote]

That's a common plot device in the EU to be sure, but I don't think I ever fully bought that concept. The queen definitely took note of Bishop in Aliens right? If Aliens as a sequel is canon then it definitely implies that the aliens aren't exactly passive towards androids.

The Cruentus

It depends, normally they are ignored but if they are deemed a threat or are in their way, then they will be attacked. Personally I think Bishop got impaled because he was in front of Ripley. The novel or early script mentioned how Bishop encountered a Xeno and had to remain still to avoid being attacked.

joylit

joylit

The million dollar question is: How many movies do we want with Michael Fassbender as a protagonist. He is a character actor, and when he is given a leading role the movie flops, like Assassins Creed. Is  the Alien franchise making the right choice about this?

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: joylit on May 05, 2017, 11:10:03 PM
The million dollar question is: How many movies do we want with Michael Fassbender as a protagonist. He is a character actor, and when he is given a leading role the movie flops like Assassins Creed. Is  the Alien franchise making the right choice about this?

Not to derail the thread... but the Assassin's Creed movie flopped for a couple of reasons, but Fassbender wasn't one of those reasons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed